Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loki42
Oct 11, 2002

I have lived the ramen!
On April 23rd, I purchased a Samsung Galaxy S5 after hearing good reviews about it. I use Google's services quite a bit.

Phone 1: I had my brand new one out of the box work quite well for about four months. Then I noticed that the top of the front lens was painted over, causing a black stripe obscuring a bit of the picture. I'm not huge into selfies, and in retro spec, I really should have just kept it. Everything else worked great, Great reception, even in my partial brick apartment building. Blazing 4G LTE, the fingerprint reader worked every time, everything worked great. But stupid me bought it to the Verizon store and showed them. They took a close look at it and indeed decided that it was defective and offered to send it back and get me another. I agreed assuming I would get another new one. The employees never told me I was going to get a refurbished phone. A couple days passed and I got the replacement.

Phone 2: I used it for for a couple of weeks. The fingerprint reader did not work as well, taking four or five tries to unlock. Also, the original battery from phone 1 overheated like mad, even when not in use and no apps running. It was just sitting on my desk or in my pocket where I would feel it getting very warm. Then I noticed that it was only receiving 3G data instead of 4G LTE. I rebooted it. I opened it and took the battery out, I took the sim and SDmini cards out, I even factory reset it. Nothing. Still 3G. Of course when I brought it to the Verizon store, they did the same things I did, said it was defective, and they would send me another one.

Phone 3: This phone setup alright and everything seemed to work alright, except for a few things. The battery overheating issue still persists, I can feel it getting quite warm in my pocket again when it is not running any applications. I even had WiFi and mobile data turned off. The reception on this phone is also very very poor. I can't even use it in my apartment. I have to go outside and cross the street into a park to get a somewhat clear signal. Lastly, the fingerprint reader does not work at all. The silver around the reader had a raised lip that I am assuming is causing my fingerprint to not be recognized. I am frustrated now, and I used use a pattern. Every replacement phone they have sent me has had poor reception problems.

I got in touch with Samsung and politely explained my situation and asked if they would exchange it for a new one instead of a refurbished one. Of course, as you world expect, they said no, and I got links to the FAQ and baby stepped though how to do a replacement. I went to Verizon and they said that since I was using their Edge plan, I did not qualify for changing phones.

So I am frustrated as hell. I am paying full price for a refurbished phone that does not work as stated. I'm sick of going though replacement after replacement in an attempt to get a phone that works.

Does anyone have any experience with Verizon and /or Samsung that might be able to help me out?

Thanks for reading my rant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Buy a moto g and forget about fingerprint access. You'll live longer.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Loki42 posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Verizon and /or Samsung that might be able to help me out?
Avoid both, especially in combination.

Breath Ray posted:

Buy a moto g and forget about fingerprint access. You'll live longer.
The Verizon Moto G is prepaid only and doesn't have LTE making it nearly useless unless you don't care about internet functions away from wifi.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Oh right. I just thought he could buy an unlocked one and use that as it seemed like a hardware issue.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Get an apple phone.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Samsung quality has seriously deteriorated over the years, and Verizon support doesn't help either. Just keep trying, maybe they'll let you just turn in the phone and use something else.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Protocol7 posted:

Samsung quality has seriously deteriorated over the years, and Verizon support doesn't help either. Just keep trying, maybe they'll let you just turn in the phone and use something else.
Deteriorated from what? In 2011 they shipped phones with bad NAND that had GPS antennas physically disconnected. That was the phone that got them their name, the original Galaxy S. Samsung has always made poo poo.

Samsung knew that the S5's fingerprint reader didn't work, so did everyone in the tech press. They included it, in a non-working fashion, to have a line on the spec sheet with the understanding that customers would find it unreliable enough that they'd disable it. This is what they do and have always done.

OP, I feel for you. You've got a Samsung on Verizon and you're locked into a contract. At this point there's little you can do without doing something drastic like going to T-Mobile to have them pay out your ETF (assuming their coverage would even work for you).

If you decide to stick with Android for the love of god remember those three little words: Samsung sells trash-- Buy something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I know about the overheating issue. My friend had a S3 and another an S4 and they would both overheat while in pockets or purses.

• Locked thread