Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I guess we can thank the forced panty-shots, because Japan :shrug:

It was interesting how they changed the end of Amane's route, and the upcoming seasons where we learn more about Yuuji should be pretty interesting. I've already been spoiled about the Despair closet in Eden(?), and we'll probably see more Grisaia adaptations before the kickstarter TLs are done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Lets just hope we dont see the likes of the OVA again, that's for sure. That's a tad too gratuitous.

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013

HiveCommander posted:

I guess we can thank the forced panty-shots, because Japan :shrug:
The adaptations of Meikyuu and Rakuen were obviously in production before Kajitsu even started airing, considering that we're getting the first episode already in March. Panty-shots (or the popularity of the Kajitsu anime, for that matter) have nothing to do with the green-lighting of them.

DiabloCthulhu fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 2, 2015

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I bailed on this after the michiru episodes but I oughta go back and see how they mangled the rest. gonna just wait for the VN's of the sequels rather than watching the animes, since the kickstarters were a big success.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah, I was totally down with the show for the first coupla episodes but the first arc being so bad, and the second arc being so much worse, was really really disappointing. The dramatic drop in animation quality was pretty harrowing too. I bailed after they did razor girl in an episode.

I'm hoping, since the sequel games appear to be more linear, that they will have better adaptations, but my hopes are not up and I should just wait for the kickstarter to pay out.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

DiabloCthulhu posted:

The adaptations of Meikyuu and Rakuen were obviously in production before Kajitsu even started airing, considering that we're getting the first episode already in March. Panty-shots (or the popularity of the Kajitsu anime, for that matter) have nothing to do with the green-lighting of them.

I know the Grisaia VNs are popular, I'm talking about how sequel adaptations are being hinted since the anime butchered a few routes. There's quite a lot of people who liked the VNs that dropped the anime, after all. There has to be some reason why people are buying.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I'm curious what the reception of the anime was in Japan. Plenty of people here dropped it but I wonder if people there didn't care. There's also people who didn't read the VN, who maybe thought it was just a hilarious drama train wreck.

Circumstantial evidence: I dropped it 4 /5 eps in out of disappointment, having played through every drat ol route in the VN, but my roommate who hasn't played the game was like "It seemed entertaining enough to me"

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 2, 2015

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013

Blhue posted:

but I oughta go back and see how they mangled the rest.
You really shouldn't. Only Makina's and Amane's arcs I can even call "decent", the other 3 arcs were pretty much poo poo (especially Yumiko's, though at least it was hilarious, what with all its terrible anime-original content).

DamnGlitch posted:

I'm hoping, since the sequel games appear to be more linear, that they will have better adaptations, but my hopes are not up and I should just wait for the kickstarter to pay out.
They are indeed more linear. And much shorter than Kajitsu. In fact, you can adapt both Meikyuu and Rakuen pretty well in 1-cour (the announcement wasn't really clear regarding the amount of episodes but 1-cour is what most likely gonna happen). So yeah, they most likely will have better adaptations. But you still probably should wait for the translations of Meikyuu and Rakuen.

HiveCommander posted:

I'm talking about how sequel adaptations are being hinted since the anime butchered a few routes. There's quite a lot of people who liked the VNs that dropped the anime, after all. There has to be some reason why people are buying.
I'm telling you, it doesn't matter how popular or good the adaptation was. Because, as I've said, the adaptations of the sequels were obviously green-lit along with the Kajitsu adaptation.

DamnGlitch posted:

I'm curious what the reception of the anime was in Japan.
Don't know about the reception but the first volume sold 3,082 BDs. Which for a such popular franchise like Grisaia is pretty poor performance (meanwhile, the VN disappeared from the shelves after the first episode aired and Frontwing was forced to restock shops).

DiabloCthulhu fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jan 2, 2015

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

There's a precedent for stuff only being partially adapted, especially as far as VNs and LNs are concerned. They are mostly used as hooks and advertisement for the series in an attempt to get people to buy the original source material. Kaijutsu being adapted isn't the reason the entire series is being done as well, stuff usually has to sell enough to make investment worthwhile. It's simple business practice.

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013
You don't announce the adaptation of the sequels before the final episode of the first season even aired with the first episode of the second season airing already in March, and being a 60-minute special at that, if it's not already been in production a long time. That's just not how it works. This is basically a split-cour situation a la Aldnoah.Zero (i.e. where the second season wasn't officially announced until the airing of the last episode of the first season).

DiabloCthulhu fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 2, 2015

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Finished the show out tonight with my roommate. Not surprising, but makina and sachins were ghastly, not surprised the only one they managed to do remotely well was Amane's, and even then the resolution phase was retarded.

IDK how the second game goes, honestly, but I assume they tried to jam pack the bare bones of each girl so it flows okay. It feels so lovely under the premise that he fixed all the girls one after another, like some sort of parody. I would have been fine if they just adapted one arc front to back. Any girl. The obvious choice would have been akane because of his sister, but holy poo poo every other one was so neutered, and even amane spilling her guts suddenly wasn't earned.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jan 4, 2015

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013
Misspelling the name of the (second) best girl? Shame on you! (it's Amane)

VVV You missed the third "akane" there :v:

DiabloCthulhu fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jan 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

*waves hand* it's late

• Locked thread