Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sakurazuka posted:

I can't divorce it from what I know happens in the manga and thus still can't bring myself to watch the anime. :(

Do it

Do it you baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

nah it's just creepy

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The anime ends well, watch it~

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Tokyo Ghoul, especially the first season, has a lot of superficial similarities to Parasyte. They're both shows about milquetoast teen guys who get a monster injection of a type of monster that needs to eat humans to survive. As that series progresses, though, it turns more and more into just a battle manga and less about whether the monsters can still be good people even if they're eating humans.

But hey battle manga are good anyway so whatever.

Gankutsuou is probably the better recommendation, though. Really cool show, and sorta similar somehow to Parasyte. Not in plot or setting, not at all, but maybe in... tone? I dunno.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Tokyo Ghoul is a vampire story, with an edgy gory aesthetic. Parasyte is a coming-of-age story. Unlike Kaneki, Shinichi can function without needing to eat humans, and Parasyte's drama comes from the mind and body irreversibly changing (like puberty!).

Tokyo Ghoul's setting is also absurd, the stakes are so high that by rights the entirety of human society should have become militarised to face the ghouls, which are an existential threat to the state. But it didn't follow through on it, the same way that it didn't have Kaneki compromise himself and struggle just to survive. Stories about fledgling vampires should force an immediate change on the protagonist just to survive, but TG's plot is moved forward by a bunch of absurd battle contrivances. The only TG episodes worth watching are the first handful, and then the last episode of the first season.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Yeah, Tokyo Ghoul seemed to do everything right in the beginning and then it was a huge disappointment.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
When in doubt, stick to JoJo.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The Devilman manga is good and similar to Parasyte with an emphasis on gory battles and body horror.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Guyver too, unfortunately there you have a choice between:

a) A horribly animated 90's OAV with no real ending.

b) An okay TV series from the mid 2000's but ends in the same place as the old OAV.

c) A manga that has been running for longer than Berserk and is even less likely to ever be finished.

z)Two live action movies, the first starring Luke Skywalker, the second one starring Solid Snake.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Sakurazuka posted:

b) An okay TV series from the mid 2000's but ends in the same place as the old OAV.

c) A manga that has been running for longer than Berserk and is even less likely to ever be finished.

z)Two live action movies, the first starring Luke Skywalker, the second one starring Solid Snake.

z) is the best option btw

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I want them to make an anime version of Bio Meat.

...and Franken Fran.

GorfZaplen posted:

The Devilman manga is good and similar to Parasyte with an emphasis on gory battles and body horror.

The best part about Devilman is that their awesome plan to become Devil Men is "let's get really super wasted and party with hippies until demons show up and then like...somehow we take them over?"

And it works.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 12, 2015

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

That terrible OVA was the first anime I ever watched

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I have a soft spot for it (especially the dub) and the first six episodes are a pretty okay retelling of the manga but then the animation quality drops like a stone and the second half is practically a bunch of voiced stills set to music.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Apocolypse Zero is another really good gore battle manga with an awfully animated OVA that ends at a terrible spot.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2015-04-20/ghibli-suzuki-we-wanted-to-adapt-the-parasyte-manga/.87078

Oh, what it could have been.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly I don't remember the old Guyver OVA being that badly animated. Then again, I also have a little bit of a different perspective, ever since I found out it's not unheard of for old OVAs to have been made on a smaller budget than one episode of an average TV anime. I tend to cut old OVAs a little more slack than I probably should as a result of that.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

A live action version by New Line? I'm down for that.

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

Just got back from seeing parasyte part 1 in the cinema. Holy poo poo I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. Do you know what the school roof snipe scene needed? migi transforming into a bow

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I just shotgunned the entire series today. It was surprisingly* awesome until Tamara/Tamiya died, but was still good after that though I thought some parts were kind of forced. The very end was great and tense though. It was very well done. I'm still left wondering one thing though. Was it ever laid out where exactly the parasites came from?

*I originally was expecting a lot more focus on some kind of body horror thing, not a psychological romp.

E: Bold is not spoiler. Wow.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 31, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nope, other than speculation that they might somehow be the earth trying to protect itself from the spread of humans the Parasite origins are left a mystery.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Gash dangit writers.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Did this show do well at all in Japan?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

Did this show do well at all in Japan?

i'd be surprised, since everything i heard suggested that japan considered it to be a bad adaptation. (they like the original though)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I heard it did worse than that terrible looking live action movie, so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

i'd be surprised, since everything i heard suggested that japan considered it to be a bad adaptation. (they like the original though)

Sakurazuka posted:

I heard it did worse than that terrible looking live action movie, so.

Yikes, that's rough.

• Locked thread