Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arrion
Aug 2, 2010
Well, here we go. With this first move, my thought is to get the Shrine Maiden, Doctor, and Office Worker all piled up in the hospital where all the threats are in one location and the Shrine Maiden won't kill off random characters who help us. We could either get the GS into the City where we could use forbid movement to keep her safe from the Shrine Maiden until loop end, or just lower her paranoia if we think BL is trying to raise it. My card is part of this idea

##Shrine Maiden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

## Girl Student

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
## Office Worker

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Cards played:

Move Horizontal on the Shrine Maiden.
Move Vertical on the Boy Student.
Move Horizontal on the Police Officer.
Intrigue +2 and Move Horizontal on the Girl Student.
Move Vertical on the Office Worker.

Aftermath:

LOCKED UNTIL END OF LOOP
Broken Loose: Intrigue +2

Doctor (Paranoia Limit: 2) adult man
Office Worker (Paranoia Limit: 2) adult man
Shrine Maiden: (Paranoia Limit: 2) student girl

Boy Student (Paranoia Limit: 2) student boy

(RESTRICT: Shrine Maiden)
Girl Student (Paranoia Limit: 3) student girl :question: :question:

(RESTRICT: Office Worker)
Police Officer (Paranoia Limit: 3) adult man

Day 1 - Mastermind Abilities

Something weird happens.
The Office Worker gains 1 Intrigue.

Day 1 - Goodwill Abilities
None available.

Indolent Bastard is now Leader.

Day 1 - Night
Nothing happens.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Begin Day 2.

A Murder is scheduled to happen today.

Day 2 - Morning
Nothing happens.

Day 2 - Cards
I play cards on the
##Shrine Maiden
##Police Officer
##Girl Student

quote:

Each of you gets to play 1 card. You cannot play a card onto the same spot as another Protagonist.

To make the game faster, include [TL] Script# (Loop#-Day#) Card Character/Location in the title of your PM.

Arrion
Aug 2, 2010
So if I'm reading this right, if we play forbid intrigue on the Office Worker and forbid movement on the Girl Student for the rest of the loop, that protects her from both the killer and serial killer. So we only have to worry about the incidents. I don't think the murder can happen, but the suicide could (assuming it's the Girl Student) by her gaining a paranoia each day, plus one from the Brain's ability. So we need to keep the Brain away from the GS for the next two days.

On the downside, I have absolutely no idea why BL played 2 Intrigue on the Girl Student.

##Doctor

Arrion
Aug 2, 2010
And right after I posted that I realized I confused the Brain and Conspiracy Theorist. It's the Conspiracy Theorist we need to play keep away with. If I'm allowed to change my move:

##Doctor
##Police Officer

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Resend the PM in that case.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Arrion posted:

On the downside, I have absolutely no idea why BL played 2 Intrigue on the Girl Student.

One of the Killer abilities is to kill the Key Person if they're in the same location and the Key Person has 2 Intrigue. Which... makes this turn pretty touch and go, with the SM and OW and the GS all clumped up like that. This might kind of suck.

## Girl Student

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

##Office Worker

Arrion
Aug 2, 2010
Oh yeah, I missed that the 2 intrigue is on the Key person and not the Killer for that to trigger. Yep, this could really suck.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Cards played:

Move Diagonal on the Shrine Maiden.
Move Horizontal (Mastermind) and Move Vertical on the Police Officer.
Paranoia +1 (Mastermind) and Move Horizontal on the Girl Student.
Forbid Intrigue on the Office Worker.

Aftermath:

I bet you can see where this is going.

LOCKED UNTIL END OF LOOP
Broken Loose: Intrigue +2, Move Diagonal

Doctor (Paranoia Limit: 2) adult man
Office Worker (Paranoia Limit: 2) adult man :question:
Police Officer (Paranoia Limit: 3) adult man

Boy Student (Paranoia Limit: 2) student boy

(RESTRICT: Shrine Maiden)

(RESTRICT: Office Worker)
Shrine Maiden: (Paranoia Limit: 2) student girl
Girl Student (Paranoia Limit: 3) student girl :question: :question: :cry:

Day 2 - Mastermind Abilities
Nothing happens.

Day 2 - Goodwill Abilities
None available.

Arrion is now Leader.

Day 2 - Incident
No incident occurs.

Day 2 - Night

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Before we discuss what happened and how it could have been prevented, 2 things:

First, Forbid Intrigue only matters for Intrigue +X cards. It does not affect Mastermind abilities, so if there's no card played by the Mastermind then there's no reason to Forbid.

Second, in a real game, you'd have the Final Guess right now, where if you guess each character's Role and the culprits of all Incidents, you snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. We're not in a real game, but I'd like you to try anyway.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Oh, poo poo, nicely done. I'd expected either the SM going down or the OW going up, not one of them flying off to the side. Completely forgot the Mastermind could do a diagonal. That Intrigue on the GS was killer.

Key Person - GS
Killer - OW
Brain - DR
Conspiracy - PO
Serial Killer - SM
Person - BS

Arrion
Aug 2, 2010
Well drat :( By the way, the Shrine Maiden could not go down as she can't enter the City.

Anyway, the list of Roles Stelas posted looks good, but it we need to guess Culprits too. I think the suicide culprit has to be the Girl Student, as anything else seems random and pointless. But I really don't know if the murder is the Office Worker or Doctor.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Final Guess.

No clue.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Meh.

Key Person - GS
Killer - DR
Brain - OW
Conspiracy - PO
Serial Killer - SM
Person - BS

More guess than anything.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Oh poo poo, we have to guess culprits too.

Yeah, the Girl Student would be my guess for the suicide, and the Office Worker for the murderer - but neither of those are rooted in any kind of deduction, they're just based on 'what would screw us the most'.

Arrion posted:

Well drat :( By the way, the Shrine Maiden could not go down as she can't enter the City.

Argh, you're right, poo poo. I wish I'd caught that, but it wouldn't have helped my play.

Arrion
Aug 2, 2010
I flipped a coin and got OW for the murderer, so here's my Final Guess

Key Person - GS
Killer - OW
Brain - DR
Conspiracy Theorist - PO
Serial Killer - SM
Person - BS
Murder Culprit - OW
Suicide Culprit - GS

Arrion
Aug 2, 2010
And no worries Stelas, I missed how bad the +2 Intrigue on the GS was for us.

Thanks for running this BL. Definitely interesting, and there's a lot of details to track.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Yeah, thanks a ton for running. I'm very impressed, and I've put in an order for the game proper. It's right up my alley.

Also, out of interest, do you have an image of the roles and plots/subplots available if you're not using First Steps? It's cool if you don't or if you'd prefer they be kept secret until someone runs a thread, but I'm really curious.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Did everyone enjoy the game?

I was left feeling that we were watching a bunch of cogs turn over and never felt that any character was more than a "title" with "powers". At no time did it feel like a mystery or any real story was being told. Is this typical of the game or just result of it being PBP?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I enjoyed it a lot, but then I love logic and deductive puzzles - sitting there and going 'okay from X and Y we know Z and A and B and from that we know C and D' is great as far as I'm concerned. It might be a bit dry, but there's room to sort of fill in the details yourself. ('the office worker got too suspicious of the girl student snooping around his stuff!')

Most of all, I get the feeling that having too much in the way of predefined narrative would really cut down on the amount of power you could give Masterminds to write their own scripts.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Plot - Murder Plan
Subplot - Shadow of the Ripper

quote:

A girl has learned a secret. To silence her, some organization has sent out an assassin to get her. There's also a serial killer in town and a confused police officer, which makes things worse. Do you think you will be able to defend the young girl?

Key Person - GS
Killer - OW
Brain - DR
Conspiracy Theorist - PO
Serial Killer - SM
Person - BS

Murder culprit - OW
Suicide culprit - GS

This script has a lot of really thematic interactions, from the vigilante cop whose theories only make people more nervous, to the assassin who might nervously take somebody out prematurely, and to the girl student who might crumple under the pressure and just off the roof of her school (after a cop and a mysterious stranger just told her a hitman's after her).

The bit about the suicide culprit not mattering if it wasn't the GS is spot-on. While unhelpful for the Final Guess, it isolates threats during the game in a reasonable way.

You guys were way more move-happy than anybody else I've seen, which resulted in a Scooby Doo-esque door chase sequence during the first loop where you consistently bumbled your way out of certain doom until I finally got fed up and had you killed. That was enough to reveal almost the entire cast in a single loop, which made things incredibly hard for me.

I eventually let you move characters around on your own, only stopping to cut off the Girl Student's escape route for my final move. The way I planned it, if she moved in either direction she'd get killed and if she stayed put the cop would make her suicide (or the DR giving the OW enough Intrigue to kill you guys again). That plan was vulnerable to somebody simply playing Forbid Movement on the Shrine Maiden and somebody else moving the Doctor out, resulting in a dead Killer and the Girl unreachable by the Serial Killer.

In a real game, I'd already have lost at that point, since a correct Final Guess is an instant Protagonist victory. I had no real choice, unfortunately.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Well, I appreciated the chance to play. Thanks.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Broken Loose posted:

In a real game, I'd already have lost at that point, since a correct Final Guess is an instant Protagonist victory. I had no real choice, unfortunately.

This is why they don't give you a Final Guess in First Steps. With only six characters and two plots, it's far too easy to map the characters before game end.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Stelas posted:

Yeah, thanks a ton for running. I'm very impressed, and I've put in an order for the game proper. It's right up my alley.

Also, out of interest, do you have an image of the roles and plots/subplots available if you're not using First Steps? It's cool if you don't or if you'd prefer they be kept secret until someone runs a thread, but I'm really curious.

Keep in mind, a Basic Tragedy has 2 Subplots in addition to the 1 Main Plot.

edit: and 10 characters on the board.

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 14, 2014

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Indolent Bastard posted:

Did everyone enjoy the game?

I was left feeling that we were watching a bunch of cogs turn over and never felt that any character was more than a "title" with "powers". At no time did it feel like a mystery or any real story was being told. Is this typical of the game or just result of it being PBP?

PBF definitely removes a bit, simply because of the cognitive connection between character cards moving about and seeing the Mastermind play a card in advance that turns out to be a horrific trap. The characters themselves are basically a Role, Goodwill powers, stats (girl/boy/student/adult/man/woman), and the occasional passive ability. In that respect, the game's pretty Euro-ish. The story of each script is hidden until after the game so it doesn't spoil any roles or plots, but the game is incredibly conducive to generating stories based off of mechanical interactions and background lore.

In future games, I'm going to have a real Time Spiral (you guys largely didn't get any Time Spirals this game) and hide + archive previous game state posts, which will do a lot to make the game feel closer to tabletop. That is, of course, once I start writing my own scenarios.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Godly Being.

Thanks, that's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrion
Aug 2, 2010
Thanks again for running this. I did not realize how difficult it could be to stop you even once we knew almost everything in the plot. I basically guessed the Girl Student's role right from the beginning, just because the young innocent girl being the victim is such a storytelling cliche. I figured the first plot would follow the typical tropes. That made it even more surprising when the Shrine Maiden turned out to be a serial killer though.

I have the game and will be introducing it to my group soon, so it was helpful to play once as a protagonist before I need to start being the mastermind.

I agree you'll want to have a real time spiral for future games, particularly if you want to enforce table talk rules

• Locked thread