Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Problem description: For about two weeks the fan in my gpu has been doing this:

I don't believe it to be related to a faulty temp sensor, in BIOS the gpu sits happily at idle fan speed & I think it would still freak out of it were sensor failure.

Attempted fixes:
I've tried everything I can think to do:
- checking for phantom bitcoin miners and poo poo, you'll notice the card is idle while the fan is freaking out
- cleaning it out w/ duster, it was a little dirty
- reinstalling device drivers
- reinstalling windows (needed it anyway)
- checking for guidance on the issue or a way to control fan speed via application - doesn't seem well supported

Recent changes: None except as noted to attempt to mitigate the issue.

--

Operating system: W8.1

System specs: Custom built desktop, Zotac GTX770

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Sure

FormatAmerica fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Do you have some graphics card overclocking or similar software installed? If so uninstall it. If that doesn't help, uninstall your graphics drivers, reboot, run Display Driver Uninstaller, reboot, then reinstall the latest nVidia drivers.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
If the above doesn't help, you can setup a manual fan profile in Afterburner that will override whatever weird fan thing your card's BIOS is doing.

Also, is there any way to see VRM temps on your card (maybe in one of the drop-down GPU-Z menus or HWINFO)? It's possible, although highly-unlikely, that VRM temps periodically go up and the card's spinning up the fans to compensate.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Sorry for the slight delay in getting back to this.

Alereon posted:

Do you have some graphics card overclocking or similar software installed? If so uninstall it. If that doesn't help, uninstall your graphics drivers, reboot, run Display Driver Uninstaller, reboot, then reinstall the latest nVidia drivers.

Went through this all, whisper quiet without drivers installed and back to the same weird oscillation when the drivers were re-installed. Also, the screenshot in the original OP is the same but it's always stuck on 33 or 34% fan speed.

cisco privilege posted:

If the above doesn't help, you can setup a manual fan profile in Afterburner that will override whatever weird fan thing your card's BIOS is doing.

Also, is there any way to see VRM temps on your card (maybe in one of the drop-down GPU-Z menus or HWINFO)? It's possible, although highly-unlikely, that VRM temps periodically go up and the card's spinning up the fans to compensate.

Manual fan profile has no apparent effect, the tool also shows a constant fan speed of 33% unless I set it higher (which works fine). To be clear, it oscillates between near silent and 100% - not silent & 33%.

Maybe I should try installing older drivers? It didn't always do this and seems to be strongly associated w/ driver being installed.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
Yeah it sounds like it's time to try an older driver. Weird that it won't let you override the fan control though.
Did you update the GPU's BIOS at any point?

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

cisco privilege posted:

Yeah it sounds like it's time to try an older driver. Weird that it won't let you override the fan control though.
Did you update the GPU's BIOS at any point?

No BIOS updates applied. I didn't even know that was a thing, honestly.

Older drivers, here we go...

As I uninstall, clean & reinstall the interstitial serenity of the fans running at the right speed is making me consider quitting gaming & using the generic display adapter.

That being said, I've tried:

344.11 - most recent, same crap
340.52 - same
337.88 - same
335.23 - same, like clockwork as soon as the installer is done with the display driver the shenanigans start
334.89 - same
320.49 - same, this is basically the first driver I had on it.

I'm going to double-check physical connections & reseat the card. e: nothing.

FormatAmerica fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 14, 2014

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I opened a ticket both with zotac and nvidia. I don't know what the gently caress.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Just wanted to say that sometimes these things have a happy ending:

RMA'd the card after confirming that one of the two fans was not working right. Zotac all out of 770s so they're sending a 980 4GB card my way.

I really like Zotac.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
That's a serious upgrade. Nothing to complain about there for sure especially if it fixes the fan spiking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

FormatAmerica posted:

Just wanted to say that sometimes these things have a happy ending:

RMA'd the card after confirming that one of the two fans was not working right. Zotac all out of 770s so they're sending a 980 4GB card my way.

I really like Zotac.

HOLY SMOKES! nice RMA

• Locked thread