Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
HP is a mashal for Jews: (Not my idea so if you disagree, dont scream at me!!!)
Wizards and Witches=Jews
Muggles=Non jews
Half-blood=people who have intermarried parents and think they are jewish...
Voldemort=Yushka
Death eaters=Christans
Hogwarts= Yeshiva
Magic=Gemara
Capes=Yamulka and Tzitzis
Dumbledor=gadol hador

We are just like wizards/witches, we have our magic (Torah, Hashem) and none of the muggles understand us and think we a crazy creeps!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
just thought of some more guys. some alt interpretations as well

Witches and wizards = observant Jews (praying, studying Torah and doing mitzvos is really magic -- it changes the world in a supernatural way).

Muggles = non-Jews and non-observant Jews (they don't understand the magic of Torah and mitzvos).

The Dursleys = anti-Semites, militant atheists and anti-Orthodox Jews.

Slytherin = those for whom Torah is a deadly poison (Yoma 72b), because their ulterior motive is for power and domination rather than serving Hashem and improving their character traits.

Gryffindor = those who are brave and bold as a lion in doing Hashem's will, fighting evil and making a kiddush Hashem.

Hufflepuff = those who are kind and humble in doing Hashem's will, who always do acts of kindness but are not known to take the initiative to spread Judaism or lead people toward teshuvah.

Ravenclaw = those who are righteous Torah scholars but lack the bravery to intervene and push for positive changes in society (such as more unity, etc.)

Dumbledor = the greatest tzaddik of the generation.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
What's Hagrid?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

You should continue this discussion in ARTDW because this is very interesting, please continue.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
because both are entirely fictional?

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
where does your long history of genocide fit in?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Applewhite posted:

What's Hagrid?

Hagrid = pious and good-hearted but eccentric and relatively unlearned Jew, who because of his kindness and bravery is greatly valued by the potential gadol hador/moshiach Harry. (Much like the Besht greatly valued pious but unlearned Jews.)

Harry Potter = potentially the gadol hador or even Moshiach, with the bravery to lead all Jews and potentially all humanity back to true Yiddishkeit.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Cream_Filling posted:

HP is a mashal for Jews: (Not my idea so if you disagree, dont scream at me!!!)
Wizards and Witches=Jews
Muggles=Jews
Half-blood=Jews
Voldemort=Jew
Death eaters=Jews
Hogwarts=Catholic school
Magic=Nisim veniflaot
Capes=The 613 Mitzvot
Dumbledor=Jew

You may have a point there!

Redleg
Jul 7, 2003

What an odd looking.....Figurine
where do the worshipers of beheading fall here in this scheme

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
mods you mind being nazi's and just gassing all of these new jew threads?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Voldemort = an evil leader bringing people away from Yiddishkeit to a wicked secular philosophy like that of Sodom (rampant selfishness and immorality) or Communism.

Hermione = someone who escapes obstacles in her background (being Muggle-born, being a woman) to become a great Torah scholar and a strong positive influence on the potential gadol hador Harry.

Ron = someone who escapes obstacles in his background (poverty, insecurity, dominant older siblings, average intelligence) to play an important role, as a trusted friend and confidant, in the rise of the potential gadol hador Harry.

The Ministry of Magic = the rabbanut, the charedi political parties, the rabbinic establishment at the time of the Besht -- the would-be leaders who aren't leading.

Muggle-borns = Ba'alei teshuva or gerim.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

can you translate some of youor yiddish to goyim because i dont understand also how do you say poo poo

Future Mrs Booger
Jan 18, 2012
jk rowling said dumbledor is gay. he wasn't killed in the first book so that makes hogwarts a reform yeshiva.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
holy gently caress what's with the jewish threads can't we have a jewish megathread sheesh

a promised thread

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

better yet just kick someone outta their megathread and make it the jewish megathread

warhams and ladies threads look pretty populace, might wanna look there

they might try to keep posting about the original topic but it'll be up to you to do your best to drive them out

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

gandalf look funny in a different hat

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
i don't know what all these jewish words mean

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Kefitzat Haderech (Hebrew: קְפִיצַת הַדֶּרֶךְ, Modern Qəfiẓat haDéreḫ or Kfitzat haDérech Tiberian Qəp̄îṣáṯ hadDéreḵ) is a Jewish Kabbalistic term that literally means "contracting the path." The word kefatz has both the meaning "to shorten" as well as "to jump". Kefitzat Haderech refers to miraculous travel between two distant places in a brief time. It is perhaps similar to the Lung-gom-pa magical travel in Tibet, and, like the Tibetan practice, involves the use of magical or divine names. The Talmud lists three biblical stories in which this miracle occurs. In early stories of the Chasidic movement, wonder-working rabbis are ascribed the ability to reach destinations with unnatural speed.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

nomadologique posted:

better yet just kick someone outta their megathread and make it the jewish megathread

warhams and ladies threads look pretty populace, might wanna look there

they might try to keep posting about the original topic but it'll be up to you to do your best to drive them out

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
While frum children perceive the story in the ways many of the posters perceive (i.e. we can relate to the idea of being a separate, superior, semi-secret civilization existing in "plain sight" of the dominant culture), the books has many deliberately Christian undercurrents that most frum Jews don't notice but that we should be aware of (though not necessarily concerned with, since these tend to be Christian literary conventions that aren't all that offensive from our perspective, but they are in there).

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Cream_Filling posted:

While frum children perceive the story in the ways many of the posters perceive (i.e. we can relate to the idea of being a separate, superior, semi-secret civilization existing in "plain sight" of the dominant culture), the books has many deliberately Christian undercurrents that most frum Jews don't notice but that we should be aware of (though not necessarily concerned with, since these tend to be Christian literary conventions that aren't all that offensive from our perspective, but they are in there).

christians are pretty great.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
what does the golden snitch represent?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Cream_Filling posted:

Half-blood=people who have intermarried parents and think they are jewish...

I believe the term is Mischling.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Copley Depot posted:

gold

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Copley Depot posted:

finding a clit.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

yer a jew harry

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Phoon posted:

yer a jew harry

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
Kwisatz haderach?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

TOILETLORD posted:

christians are pretty great.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Well at least the OP is an actual Jewish person and not just some random poo poo-poster so I vote to leave the thread open until the amusement wears off

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

hitler had some good ideas, like the hmethamphetamine

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

gggiiimmmppp posted:

hitler had some good ideas, like the hmethamphetamine

there is a reason he allied germany with japan.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

TOILETLORD posted:

there is a reason he allied germany with japan.

Both are into incest?

Pudding Space
Mar 19, 2014
Wow OP! You just uncovered J.K.R's crazy, anti-semitic hatred.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Applewhite posted:

What's Hagrid?

Golem of Hogwarts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I was just recently talking to someone who said that her parents didn't let her read Harry Potter until high school because of kishuf. I simply did not chap- even if little kids think that magic is real after reading them, that's still not kishuf. And even then, it doesn't exactly take rocket science to figure out that magic really doesn't exist, and it's the rare kid past the age of about ten who still thinks magic is real- even all of those kids who sat up the night of their eleventh birthday waiting for an owl from Hogwarts don't actually think it's really true. Shocker. *sits back and waits for the cries of "heretic!"*
(Technically, according to the Rashbam, it wouldn't be considered kishuf if only because it's not listed in the Torah as being kishuf- he says that if it's not in the Torah as kishuf, it could have a natural reason that we just don't understand because it hasn't yet been discovered. That's one of the reasons, incidentally, that hypnosis was permitted long before it was discovered not to be magically based.
Oh, and the Shulchan Aruch would apparently permit nonverbal spells as they don't mention the name of an avodah zara, but that's an extrapolation, so feel free to correct me on that one.)
I don't really get connecting Harry Potter and Judaism, and honestly it feels a bit squicky to me, but still, I don't get all the kishufy stuff.
And I've read all of the books and seen a couple of movies (to my dismay... about ten hours of my life I'll never get back) and I fail to see specifically Christian allegories. You find them if you look for them (and that's incidentally my opinion on literary criticism as well, so if you're into that then we're at an impasse here).

• Locked thread