Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
starwarsman
Jun 30, 2008
Wanted to take the temperature of the good people in the megathread. I'm building a media server for my brother, as his numerous torrent streams are taking up to much space on his macbook harddrive. I plan to use freeNAS and PLEX to handle all the frontend/backend work. this PC needs to be able to:

1) transcode video simultaneously for 1-2 deviecs
2) be reasonably quiet
3) "not cost to much". I think sub 400 is fine (which the build currently is). However, I wouldn't mind if I could get the build to be sub-350.

this is my first time build a media server, so I would love to know if I am over or under powering any of the components given the requirements laid out.

[PCPartPicker part list](http://pcpartpicker.com/p/h9BhYJ) / [Price breakdown by merchant](http://pcpartpicker.com/p/h9BhYJ/by_merchant/)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus H81I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($77.99 @ Mwave)
Memory: Crucial 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($36.87 @ Adorama)
Storage: Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 110 Mini ITX Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 300W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($42.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $362.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-11 22:13 EDT-0400

starwarsman fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread