Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I will confess: I love children's books. I love the idea of saying something in as few words as possible. And they have pretty pictures. Here are some of my favorites.

Tibet: Through the Red Box by Peter Sis. A semi autobiographical book about the author's father's journey through Tibet with interstitial looks at the author's childhood in Communist Czechoslovakia. IT HAS YETIS!!!

St. George and the Dragon by Mary Hodges and Trina Hyman. One of the best looking books I've ever seen. Recipient of the Caldecott Medal (award for best illustrations in a children's book) for 1984.

Eric Carle's Treasury of Classic Stories for Children. A set of classic fairy tales from the writer and illustrator of The Very Hungry Caterpillar. Beautifully drawn, it has all the great parts of Carle's illustration style including using paint on sponges.

What are your favorite picture books/books for kids?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
So many. The church mice books by Graham Oakly, lovely art and full of wierd details and dry british humor.
The first few Berenstain Bears books, before they became mega preachy and, frankly, poo poo.
Early Rosemary Wells, before she too pussied out.
The little grey Rabbit books by Alison Uttley and Margaret Tempest, because of the perfect little world she makes, and because Wise Owl's Tale is the saddest thing I ever read before I was ten.
Micael Rosen's Sad Book, which is one of the most powerful books of any sort I have ever read, whilst still being accesable to a child.
Dogger, by Shirley Hughs, because it's a lovely story and Hughs has such an eye for drawing children.
What-a-mess, by Frank Muir, because it's great fun to read to little kids and they love to follow all the wierd little sub plots in the art.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I forgot to mention the other great book about St. George: St. George and the Dragon by Jim Forest and Vladislav Andrejev. The illustrations are all Byzantine and Russian style religious art. This is what the cover looks like, for reference.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

I am really huge fan of Steven Kellog's stuff. I was reading those books as a kid in the 80s, and every time I come across one in a used bookstore, I have to have it. Even though the faces he draws are really goofy, the way he uses color is fascinating to me. "The Mysterious Tadpole" will always be one of my favorites, and I loved the Tall-Tale series of books he did back in the day.

I am also really drawn to old James Stevenson books. The art isn't anywhere near as good, but I feel really strongly about it as I was obsessed as a kid. In particular the ones in which a mustachioed kid plays a role.

I have a three year old now, and so we get new books fairly regularly. There is so much really good stuff out there these days.

I really dig the stuff Oliver Jeffers is doing. "The Great Paper Caper" "Stuck" and "This Moose Belongs To Me" are all really well done, with interesting artwork. Adam Rex's work on Kids books is really good too.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

For those working with children (kindergarten or primary school) a Norwegian couple, Gro Dahle and Svein Nyhus wrote a picture book called Angry Man (Sinna mann in Norwegian) which takes up the very serious issue of domestic violence. We had a lecture last year centred around how to use that as a way to not only address it in school, but as a jump-off point for pupils to talk about it and even come to terms with it if they live in an abusive household. I'm certain it's one of their works that's been translated to a lot of different languages because of how international that problem is. I recommend giving it at least a read. Even for adults, the book can be quite moving. The rest of their body of works also addresses different psychological issues that children might experience or questions that they might ponder themselves, but I don't know how many of their books that has been translated to English or other languages.

I'll try to pay a bit of attention to this thread as hints and tips for children's lit are quite relevant to my future work.

ulvir fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 15, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
D'Aulairies' books of Greek and Norse myths.

http://www.amazon.com/DAulaires-Norse-Myths-Ingri-dAulaire/dp/159017125X

http://www.amazon.com/DAulaires-Greek-Myths-Ingri-dAulaire/dp/0440406943/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Never to early to teach your children about beastiality and puericide/fatricide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
There was a picture book I had as a kid where every page was a drawing of the same cross-section of an entire hotel, each page set moments after the previous one. There was a bunch of great visual gags affecting a number of people, and by the last page the hotel was in an utter state of disarray.

I can't for the life of me remember the title or artist, and Google searches are turning up nothing.

• Locked thread