Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Kajeesus posted:

Plot beat: Daenerys finds out that ruling is a lot harder than conquering, and keeps having to make sacrifices to maintain peace.
Execution: Daenerys fluctuates between coercion and executions and diplomacy and pardons, with little apparent rhyme or reason. The Sons of the Harpy are apparently a constant threat, but are never discussed outside of their first appearance.

Don't forget Barriston the Bold goes down from a cheap shot in an apparent effort to advance character development and possible love story for a person who has been grown/trained to have neither a desire for love or personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Kajeesus posted:

Plot beat: Daenerys finds out that ruling is a lot harder than conquering, and keeps having to make sacrifices to maintain peace.
Execution: Daenerys fluctuates between coercion and executions and diplomacy and pardons, with little apparent rhyme or reason. The Sons of the Harpy are apparently a constant threat, but are never discussed outside of their first appearance.

And then they attack all of a sudden in the last Daenery scene, coming in waves from offscreen like videogame enemies, to give her a reason to flee on the dragon.

The show version of Dany's plot was at least as bad as show Dorne, IMHO. In both cases they took something that was convoluted and boring and made it boring and nonsense.

I liked what they did to Tyrion, though. gently caress Penny and those endless boat trips.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 16, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The part when they sail through Valyria was pretty cool too, at least pre-Stone Men fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5hmcbVJLWQ

Max
Nov 30, 2002

God, I had blocked out Stannis burning his daughter alive.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
As bad as Stan murdering Shireen for no good reason was it was probably the second best scene of the entire season. Us book nerds hated it for numerous justified adaptation related reasons, primarily the assassination of Stan's character that is turning him from complicated character to an irredeemable piece of poo poo but many show watchers considered it an emotionally powerful and shocking scene.

Most watchers are pretty ok with Stannis being a red herring all along, Book readers obviously have somewhat different expectations.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Max posted:

Like, those moments all seem like they will hopefully be interesting, but the writers of this show (including Dave Hill) have shown that they are not very good at actually doing the beat by beat storytelling that one would hope for.
Oh, I don't care about that. That is just pro forma to me. I mostly care about moving the plot forward - changing the configuration of the game. If I could read the outline of the rest of the show right now, I'd prefer that to watching it.

Same for the books, really. (In their case, if they ever do come out, I *am* planning on waiting until someone makes a wiki outline; gently caress me if I'm wading through 1000+ pages of whatever equivalent of 'where do whores go' Martin fixates on for them.)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

lifts cats over head posted:

Don't forget Barriston the Bold goes down from a cheap shot in an apparent effort to advance character development and possible love story for a person who has been grown/trained to have neither a desire for love or personality.

I'm okay with fleshing out the Unsullied, since them continuing to be emotionless supersoldiers after Dany frees them would be kind of cheap. The romance subplot can just go away though.

I also forgot about Brienne up there, because I have no idea what the point of anything she did this season was.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Kajeesus posted:

I'm okay with fleshing out the Unsullied, since them continuing to be emotionless supersoldiers after Dany frees them would be kind of cheap. The romance subplot can just go away though.

I also forgot about Brienne up there, because I have no idea what the point of anything she did this season was.

Dude just wanting to be cuddled was surprisingly deep for the show.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Kajeesus posted:

The point (I think) was about conflicting oaths and promises. Try to protect Sansa, as she had most recently promised, or avenge Renly's death? Like Jaime, she chooses to kill a king who is capable of horrible things, but unlike Jaime, she probably made her choice for the wrong reasons.

And like most of your examples, the idea sounds better than the final product, which mostly consisted of her waiting around for the choice to present itself.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

AtraMorS posted:

The point (I think) was about conflicting oaths and promises. Try to protect Sansa, as she had most recently promised, or avenge Renly's death? Like Jaime, she chooses to kill a king who is capable of horrible things, but unlike Jaime, she probably made her choice for the wrong reasons.

And like most of your examples, the idea sounds better than the final product, which mostly consisted of her waiting around for the choice to present itself.

That's probably what they were going for, but it's not like choosing Stannis over Sansa had any consequences. It's not clear what exactly Brienne was going to do if she saw the lit candle, but she couldn't have done it before Sansa would've been rescued by Theon anyways. I guess next season Sansa could hold it against her?

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.

Kajeesus posted:

Plot beat: Tyrion loses everything and is sold into slavery, but manages to get himself into a position where he could meet Daenerys.
Execution: "The dwarf stays alive until we find a cock merchant."

This one was actually way better than the books.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
If you liked Book-Tyrion's ADwD storyline, you can have it. I don't want it.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

TK-42-1 posted:

Dude just wanting to be cuddled was surprisingly deep for the show.

That was a book thing.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

quote:

Plot beat: Stannis is forced to sacrifice his daughter.
Execution: Stannis would never sacrifice his daughter, not in a million years. "Father, lend me twenty good men." Stannis torches his daughter and forces literally everyone to watch while he does so.

I'm not so sure, Stannis has already killed his brother and considered sacrificing his nephew. There's constant talk of the power in King's Blood and Jon has to send Aemon and Mance Jr away in case Melisandre has any ideas. There's also a nice parallel with Agamemnon.

quote:

"Edric—" he started.
"—is one boy! He may be the best boy who ever drew breath and it would not matter. My duty is to the realm." His hand swept across the Painted Table. "How many boys dwell in Westeros? How many girls? How many men, how many women? The darkness will devour them all, she says. The night that never ends. She talks of prophecies . . . a hero reborn in the sea, living dragons hatched from dead stone . . . she speaks of signs and swears they point to me. I never asked for this, no more than I asked to be king. Yet dare I disregard her?" He ground his teeth. "We do not choose our destinies. Yet we must . . . we must do our duty, no? Great or small, we must do our duty. Melisandre swears that she has seen me in her flames, facing the dark with Lightbringer raised on high. Lightbringer!" Stannis gave a derisive snort. "It glimmers prettily, I'll grant you, but on the Blackwater this magic sword served me no better than any common steel. A dragon would have turned that battle. Aegon once stood here as I do, looking down on this table. Do you think we would name him Aegon the Conqueror today if he had not had dragons?"

Shireen is like Tommen, Robert Arryn and Stannis himself in that they seem doomed from the start. Her first appearance:

quote:

"I had bad dreams," Shireen told him. "About the dragons. They were coming to eat me."

Stannis' arc is about becoming morally compromised and giving up everything he has for something he doesn't even want because of vague prophecies. It's pretty much just Macbeth even with his (show) wife killing herself. But he thinks he needs to save the world and burning Shireen might do that. He's even aware of his own self-destruction as he explains his vision of a king being burned to death by his own crown (Actually Viserys?) He still has a long way to go before that makes sense for his character since in the sample chapters he tells Massey to rally for his daughter in his place but there's still plenty of time in TWOW. In It For The Tank brought up a good point in that since Stannis is near Winterfell and Shireen is at the Wall, Stannis cannot personally burn her unless she's brought down or he defeats the Boltons and captures Winterfell, then has to sacrifice her to defeat the Others or something. Jon might be assuming Stannis' TWOW role in season 6 by taking Winterfell. It'd also make sense for Mel and Selyse to burn Shireen at the Wall without Stannis' permission, possibly to resurrect Jon but this would take a way a lot of the drama. Shireen burns no matter what happens.

I wonder how bad the show Stannis arc would be if they'd cast a worse actor than Stephen Dillane. Rhllor hungers.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 16, 2015

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
After Season 5 effectively assassinated the characters and plots from my favorite book series, I have 0 faith in the show runners abilities to pull off this next season. I mean, I guess I'll give the premiere a shot but I highly doubt I'm going to stick through to the end of this season. I'll probably check out on the first Unsullied romance scene or when they cut out more scenes Alfie Allen could have been in.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

Kajeesus posted:

That's OK, as in the books, though she's still looking for Sansa, her chapters don't have much of point either.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

In It For The Tank posted:

That was a book thing.

Really? I must have missed that. But gently caress rereading that again.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Jorghnassen posted:

That's OK, as in the books, though she's still looking for Sansa, her chapters don't have much of point either.

They have a point, youre just incapable of noticing it.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

TK-42-1 posted:

Really? I must have missed that. But gently caress rereading that again.

Yeah, gently caress rereading the best fantasy series since the lord of the rings. That would be an insane prospect.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Ague Proof posted:

I'm not so sure, Stannis has already killed his brother and considered sacrificing his nephew. There's constant talk of the power in King's Blood and Jon has to send Aemon and Mance Jr away in case Melisandre has any ideas. There's also a nice parallel with Agamemnon.

Shireen is like Tommen, Robert Arryn and Stannis himself in that they seem doomed from the start. Her first appearance:

Stannis' arc is about becoming morally compromised and giving up everything he has for something he doesn't even want because of vague prophecies. It's pretty much just Macbeth even with his (show) wife killing herself. But he thinks he needs to save the world and burning Shireen might do that. He's even aware of his own self-destruction as he explains his vision of a king being burned to death by his own crown (Actually Viserys?) He still has a long way to go before that makes sense for his character since in the sample chapters he tells Massey to rally for his daughter in his place but there's still plenty of time in TWOW. In It For The Tank brought up a good point in that since Stannis is near Winterfell and Shireen is at the Wall, Stannis cannot personally burn her unless she's brought down or he defeats the Boltons and captures Winterfell, then has to sacrifice her to defeat the Others or something. Jon might be assuming Stannis' TWOW role in season 6 by taking Winterfell. It'd also make sense for Mel and Selyse to burn Shireen at the Wall without Stannis' permission, possibly to resurrect Jon but this would take a way a lot of the drama. Shireen burns no matter what happens.

I wonder how bad the show Stannis arc would be if they'd cast a worse actor than Stephen Dillane. Rhllor hungers.

He was saying Stannis becoming willing to sacrifice his daughter seemed unearned and too abrupt, not that he actually thinks there's no way the character would ever have done that.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Austrian mook posted:

Yeah, gently caress rereading the best fantasy series since the lord of the rings. That would be an insane prospect.

I've done it twice already. I need to expand my horizons a little.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

TK-42-1 posted:

I've done it twice already. I need to expand my horizons a little.

Read other books then. Or watch some tv or movies. Play some video games. All media platforma are equal

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Beeez posted:

He was saying Stannis becoming willing to sacrifice his daughter seemed unearned and too abrupt, not that he actually thinks there's no way the character would ever have done that.

Yeah, that. Stannis is pretty clearly going to sacrifice Shireen in the books too, but it will be with much higher stakes and probably not decided overnight.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Austrian mook posted:

I don't see what rereading the Black Company has to do with a Game of Thrones thread.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Kajeesus posted:

I guess next season Sansa could hold it against her?

gently caress that, Brienne tried to rescue her the tavern and was blown off. Sansa has no right to hold anything against here.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

gently caress that, Brienne tried to rescue her the tavern and was blown off. Sansa has no right to hold anything against here.

Doesn't mean it can't happen though. Ellaria and the Sand Snakes have zero right to vengeance for Oberyn's death, but they still go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
This season was terrible, the next will be worse.

Game of Thrones Season 6 Spoiler Thread.

• Locked thread