Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Anyone here have lots of potential as a child and everyone thought they were really smart, but then they didnt act on it and just became "regular" adults? Share your personal stories here.

-The GBS Mod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spider Helidon
Nov 4, 2010

by XyloJW
yes I am a huge disappointment due to various psychological issues and bad decisions.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Spider Helidon posted:

yes I am a huge disappointment due to various psychological issues and bad decisions.

Tell me more please...

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
I had but then everyone told me how smart i was and now im a lazy sack of poo poo.

Spider Helidon
Nov 4, 2010

by XyloJW

Charlie Mopps posted:

I had but then everyone told me how smart i was and now im a lazy sack of poo poo.

yeah that's p much how it started

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I used to beat up all the smart kids because they were always very weak and soft so it was really easy and pretty fun

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I was top of all my classes, I was the head of year, a prefect and teachers pet. I was destined to do wonderful things, I got accepted into a top university and had the next 25 years planned out impeccably... but then, in August 2007 it all went tits up, no loving idea why.

Now I sit in my pants and play gta

Gawdfather
Jul 29, 2011
You can only hear that you have so much potential and can do anything you want to do in the entire world so many times, before you decide to do nothing.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the people that called me smart turned out to just be kind of stupid

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Ratjaculation posted:

I was top of all my classes, I was the head of year, a prefect and teachers pet. I was destined to do wonderful things, I got accepted into a top university and had the next 25 years planned out impeccably... but then, in August 2007 it all went tits up, no loving idea why.

Now I sit in my pants and play gta

drat.. sorry to hear that

Spider Helidon
Nov 4, 2010

by XyloJW

Gawdfather posted:

You can only hear that you have so much potential and can do anything you want to do in the entire world so many times, before you decide to do nothing.

children praised for innate qualities like being 'smart' tend to achieve less than those praised for effort. If you're in a 'smart' group, effort is often seen as uncool, so you end up bragging about not studying for a test or doing an assignment the night before and still getting an A, and then comes the time when you have to do real work and the wheels just fall off the wagon and you go work on a checkout in a supermarket and then start doing a bunch of LSD and pills and drop out of university and fall into the seedy world of hospitality where you're constantly dealing with inebriated people and therefore feel like a supergenius and then your fiance leaves you because you're out until sunrise drinking every day and come home drunk and angry and after that start drinking even more and then your house burns down, probably because of some dumb poo poo you did just before you passed out in the chair in front of the computer and you start living on people's couches and drinking even more just so you don't go in to work all sweaty with your hands shaking like Michael J Fox and then you lose your job and spend even more of your day masturbating to increasingly hosed up poo poo.

Or so I've heard. happened to a friend of a friend of mine.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
I did amazingly. Until my parents fights and subsequent separation. It has all been downhill since then, with slight bumps.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Bumping this.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I had such potential as a child. Then one night my parents decide they want to see a movie and hire a babysitter. I'd never seen Star Trek before that night...

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

weaselthingo
Sep 13, 2014
I used to win in every sport while also scoring in the top percentile in statewide tests and such.

Now I just play video games, but at least I win at them.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

yeah same

joke is on all our parents I guess

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
I was reading at an 8th grade level, in grade 6

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

For reals I was reading at an 11th grade level in grade 6 and now in my third year of university I read at a grade 11 level.

lite frisk
Oct 5, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNKoH84ioz0

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Yeah, same.

The SA userbase does seem smart compared to the general internet population but the reason so many goons brag about what geniuses they were as kids is that those glory days are all they have. It was the last time they received a compliment. Now that genius is used for slick takedowns of the xbone or Republicans. The occasional lol or empty quote are the closest they've come to praise of any kind in years.

I have an ironic avatar of Spock mind-melding with a dalek.

Disconnecticus
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, like, actual money?
“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.” - Calvin Coolidge

I don't care that this is the internet so you've already seen that quote a billion times, it's true.

Really smart kids are often smart enough to convincingly BS adults with excuses about why they're not accomplishing anything. I made a loving career out of that. Oh my god we're good at it. "Well sure I could have done better, but [plausible reason that invokes some amount of sympathy]." Take it too far and you spend all of your time with the immediate reward of lazy time, but the price is that all you're doing is getting better and better at making excuses.

The best thing you can do for a lazy smart kid is not buy into his bullshit.

Disconnecticus fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 14, 2014

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I had 150 IQ at some point.
Now I'm in art school.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
They still tell me this and I can't believe people are so blind and dumb.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
Yep I graduated in 2008 and for some reason there were no jobs for 22 year olds

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

i was always dumb, and as such i never fell below expectations and disappointed no one. life is good

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
Honeypot thread turns into sincere discussion within first page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I had such potential as a child. Then one night my parents decide they want to see a movie and hire a babysitter. I'd never seen Star Trek before that night...

• Locked thread