Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
The husband of a lady I work with owns a Mac.

This Mac is constantly deluging the poor guy with popups and poo poo like that.
Tried to talk to the guy, but he's kind of limited in his tech knowledge. I'm most likely going to have go to his place.

I spoke with his son, who at least seemed savvy enough to guess that there was some "Malware, virus, or something like that."

I know gently caress-all about Macs. If he were running Windows, I'd prob just blast that fucker with CCleaner and Malwarebytes and call it a day. But of course, Mac.

I was looking around for a decent (free) OSX program similar to Malwarebytes, but I'm getting lots of very mixed reviews on Avast!, XClam, etc...

Rather than getting to this guy's place and just Googling like a fool, can anybody suggest a utility that does for a Mac what Malwarebytes and CCleaner do for a PC?

Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Chances are it's some bundled program you just need to remove from the Applications folder. It'll be pretty obvious what the name of it is, like SHOPSAVER or something like that.

Hard to prevent against it when they install it themselves. I'm sure googling the name of the offending program will bring up removal instructions.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Cool. I guess I'm just gonna go over there and gently caress around with it and hope to find something.

Thanks!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'd check Activity Monitor or whatever the latest flavor of Mac OS X calls it (it's one of the utilities that they seem compelled to rename with every version of the OS). It can be found in the Utilities of the Applications folder, and is rather like Process Viewer in Windows. It should provide a way to find things running that shouldn't be.

Also, check the web browsers for malicious plugins and extensions.

As a final note, it looks like Avast has a free Mac version, too.

http://www.avast.com/en-us/free-antivirus-mac

I've always had a good experience with Avast on Windows, but can't vouch one way or the other for the Mac version.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

betterinsodapop posted:

...can anybody suggest a utility that does for a Mac what Malwarebytes and CCleaner do for a PC?

CCleaner actually exists for OS X and I've used it with some success in the past.
https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download?mac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

If you want the most barebone and unintrusive virusscanner there is for mac I suggest http://www.clamxav.com/
Besides the normal scan function - which was the only antivirus which actually removed the loving Remove Search adware from my mac - you have an option to automatically track a folder for new files, which will be automatically scanned.

• Locked thread