Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Effectronica posted:

poststructuralist detective. coming this february

ad193x:

"i sit in my office with a flask, pondering. the drinking bird at my desk was a gift from the head of lucky drinking bird novelty company, whose new domestic distribution warehouse once housed the glorious novelty smoking monkey overseas distribution racket, that is, until the corporate head was inexplicably pecked to death by ravenous birds. mere gravity and a law about something. something like displacement, causing drinking bird to constantly bow at his cup. i become lost in thought. the cup is quite the generous offering to this bird. it seems to brim with a substance that sustains his drinking motion. the gears in my head grind, and are in need of lubrication."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

ThisGuy posted:

Come that's not fun. Rip my argument to shreds, specifically. If you just handwave I don't learn anything.

At least link to something that refutes all or parts of my thinking

I'm not going to waste time trying to satisfy your demand that I prove the negative that is not how it works slugger

ThisGuy
Aug 16, 2014

This Fuckin' Guy

proof of concept posted:

I'm not going to waste time trying to satisfy your demand that I prove the negative that is not how it works slugger

Fair enough. Because at a certain point it does become work, right? gently caress that arguing on the Internet should be fun

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
microfinance is insanely predatory so im not sure why you would use that as an example, thisguy

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

paranoid randroid posted:

microfinance is insanely predatory so im not sure why you would use that as an example, thisguy

not everyone has read the articles about how thousands of first and third-world elites discovered to their chagrin that markets aren't really infinitely elastic, not even with property rights

or about how they came to discover the existence of risk

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

ThisGuy posted:

Fair enough. Because at a certain point it does become work, right? gently caress that arguing on the Internet should be fun

quote:

When Plato gave Socrates' definition of man as "featherless bipeds" and was much praised for the definition, Diogenes plucked a chicken and brought it into Plato's Academy, saying, "Behold! I've brought you a man." After this incident, "with broad flat nails" was added to Plato's definition.[23]

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Diogenes owned.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

i believe that the emptiness is here

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
^same

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

then why won't it stay buried

a) god is dead and still won't stop kicking

b) watch this turkey flap even in death https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cxylsIUh8o

c) pomo does not recognize the line between life and death, though it exists in a precarious undeath

d) almost everything "pomo" highlighted had already been around since the dawn of time but wasn't systematized or taken much note of because ppl were like "yeah a storyteller is aware of her story so what that's what it means to be a storyteller" n poo poo like that, pomo was at best a heimlich manuever for a group of cultures choking on the enlightenment

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

diogenes was a smelly homeless man and public masturbator who quipped "if only i could cure my hunger by rubbing my belly"

rad dude

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

the only comparably famous homeless person i know of is moondog

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Seems like we as a species would be in a better place if we followed the teachings of Diogenes.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
it's dumb, real dumb, and chomsky is right to call it worthless.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

chomsky is a loving chump and anybody who thinks otherwise is also a chump

chomsky had one goddamn idea in his life and it was a dumb idea

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
seriously has nobody brought up that postmodernism ended like 20 years ago

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

no, thank u for clearing this up. now my tormented soul can truly rest

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008

Izumi Konata posted:

no, thank u for clearing this up. now my tormented soul can truly rest

no problem

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

postmodernism is/was an umbrella term used by various factions for various purposes:

by lazy academics to hide their lack of insight and rigor;

by enemies of certain effective critiques, to demonize them;

by me, saturated with voda, to put up my butt and get trashed

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
Its so hard 2 be hip in the cutroat artsy world

Cn somebody tell me whats the meaning of that expensive painting thats just a white canvas so I can gain some art points

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

nomadologique posted:

postmodernism is/was an umbrella term used by various factions for various purposes:

by lazy academics to hide their lack of insight and rigor;

by enemies of certain effective critiques, to demonize them;

by me, saturated with voda, to put up my butt and get trashed

don't buttchug teh pomo! omigosh i can't look....

r u buttchugging witgenstein, deleuze, et. al.?

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

I'll have you know I read a paragraph about postmodernism on the internet once, and have good reason to believe it is ruining all humanities programs in all universities everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Izumi Konata posted:

r u buttchugging witgenstein, deleuze, et. al.?

bottomshelf deleuze at the fastest rate possible, only way to get thru grad school

:rock:

e: i run it thru a brita filter a few times first tho, the local cvs accepts dining dollars

• Locked thread