Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

this person was really bad at computers. i am really annoyed at the end user. they did something stupid and i had to spend three hours on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

tell them to try turning it off and then on again

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

TEAYCHES posted:

this person was really bad at computers. i am really annoyed at the end user. they did something stupid and i had to spend three hours on it

Break it down.

3 hours is alot of time. What happened???

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

TEAYCHES posted:

as long as you get paid to waste your shift who cares?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Dandywalken posted:

Break it down.

3 hours is alot of time. What happened???

cryptolocker

actually cryptowall

everyone lost 4 hours of work yesterday

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Call them and scream unintelligibly into your phone until they hang up

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

TOILETLORD posted:

as long as you get paid to waste your shift who cares?

its not waste manually going through the server and restoring encrypted files. then the retard who had 8 IE addons in cyrillic

Korthal
May 26, 2011

Now show them how you did it so they can fix it on their own.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Korthal posted:

Now show them how you did it so they can fix it on their own.

but then we couldnt charge them for it in a managed services environment

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

TEAYCHES posted:

cryptolocker

actually cryptowall

everyone lost 4 hours of work yesterday

you're loving kidding me

that loving end user should be brought before a tribunal, and forced to apologize

worst trojan I had was just sorta lovely, and it was more or less a "Gonna insert myself into your Firefox startup pages... heh that'll show ya!" kind of deal.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

companies that dont hire their own IT shouldnt exist but it keeps me employed

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
look at me im an it guy im a huge piece of poo poo i wonder why no one likes me in the office

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Dandywalken posted:

you're loving kidding me

that loving end user should be brought before a tribunal, and forced to apologize

worst trojan I had was just sorta lovely, and it was more or less a "Gonna insert myself into your Firefox startup pages... heh that'll show ya!" kind of deal.

i scanned the machine which was the source of the infection with malwarebytes for fun, 20 trojans. they were all different trojans, not just repeats of the same virus, like 700 actual instances of malware

"i just use MSN and click on the links and i email"

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

shiksa posted:

look at me im an it guy im a huge piece of poo poo i wonder why no one likes me in the office

many small to medium sized businesses contract their IT support out and thats where i cum in

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I should be an IT guy

I posted alot in the FIB thread, and honestly I wasnt fitting the criteria for thread residency

Is the cash decent at least? You doing phone work and poo poo?

Its gotta be frustrating as gently caress though dealing with that kinda poo poo. 2014 and people still clicking links and all.

You'd think it'd be worth having some company-wide briefing or way for a soon-to-be customer to recognize "Ok, I've been infected" to hit that poo poo early and stop it from becoming ridiculous

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

shiksa posted:

i work in IT and because i am moderately attractive, sociable, don't smell like garbage and can dress myself I am liked

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Dandywalken posted:

I should be an IT guy

I posted alot in the FIB thread, and honestly I wasnt fitting the criteria for thread residency

Is the cash decent at least? You doing phone work and poo poo?

Its gotta be frustrating as gently caress though dealing with that kinda poo poo. 2014 and people still clicking links and all.

You'd think it'd be worth having some company-wide briefing or way for a soon-to-be customer to recognize "Ok, I've been infected" to hit that poo poo early and stop it from becoming ridiculous

we had a person onsite and this retard end user didnt tell anyone their PC was unusable due to malware. what can you do

but yea i actually agree in trying to teach people basic internet security and installing adblock and training ppl to do it themselves

however a lot of our billable hours come from stupid poo poo like that so $$$ get that easy malware money

Other Barry
Jun 5, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
haha what stupid fuckers

pebkac am i right, IT bro?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

SaltLick posted:

i work in IT and because i am moderately attractive, sociable, don't smell like garbage and can dress myself I am liked

a lot of the smart and effective it ppl i work with are pretty normal and smart and successful

the server team is super loving weird tho

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Just put "user refused to troubleshoot" in the ticket and toss it to the shmucks on-site

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

hahaha ths your new av owns

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
"I am a janitor let me complain about the time I had to mop up some poo poo"

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Cthulu Carl posted:

Just put "user refused to troubleshoot" in the ticket and toss it to the shmucks on-site

im friends with the on-site shmucks but yea what usually happens is i have them pick it up and then i reload the offending computer

recently tho its been huge loving crypto retarded infections so im spending a day on the server restoring backups and telling ppl that they lost all their work

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

proof of concept posted:

"I am a janitor let me complain about the time I had to mop up some poo poo"

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

TEAYCHES posted:

im friends with the on-site shmucks but yea what usually happens is i have them pick it up and then i reload the offending computer

recently tho its been huge loving crypto retarded infections so im spending a day on the server restoring backups and telling ppl that they lost all their work

do you just sorta chill there and wait for the restoration to complete, or got to actually go hands-on and do poo poo somehow?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Dandywalken posted:

do you just sorta chill there and wait for the restoration to complete, or got to actually go hands-on and do poo poo somehow?

theres literally no difference between me doing it offsite or onsite.

and its not waiting for the restoration to complete cause not every folder gets infected. you basically run a powershell command and get a date modified list with the paths affected and of the html files (PLZGIVEUSMONEY.HTML) and go to town

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

IT managed services owns!!

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

some1 from russia asked for my password and i gave it to them but i haven't heard back???

please advise

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER
someoe wants me to do my JOB>????/ gently caress

Maxwellsdemon
Nov 12, 2007
meh
Grimey Drawer
Dear internet person I will apologize on their behalf for the wasting of your time.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
And he said which one is the any key hur hur hur argablarghablargh

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
funy computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I had a lady yesterday ask me to troubleshoot her internet connection that she was 400 miles away from. lol gently caress you that's not how this works

• Locked thread