Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

And a really good FB.

Priest Holmes was Shaun Alexander. Over rated as hell

You're just mad because Priest Holmes routinely gashed the Chargers like it was cool. He was real good in his day, the offensive line was a killer but he was a great back in his day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

African AIDS cum posted:

I know this isnt the NCAA thread but Staubach won the Heisman throwing for 1700 yards and 7 TD and 7 picks for the season. What happened there?

2nd place was Billy Lothridge with 1017 yards, 10 TD and 7 INT, third was Sherman Lewis with 577 rushing yards and 4 TD. I'm going to go with 'Times were different, man'

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Intruder posted:

2nd place was Billy Lothridge with 1017 yards, 10 TD and 7 INT, third was Sherman Lewis with 577 rushing yards and 4 TD. I'm going to go with 'Times were different, man'

10 touchdowns? Sounds like Lothridge was robbed

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

African AIDS cum posted:

10 touchdowns? Sounds like Lothridge was robbed

Staubach ran for 9 more TDs. Lothridge only ran for 3.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Staubach also had 8.8 ypa which would even be respectable today

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

blue squares posted:

Is Romo better than Staubach? (I have done no research of my own)

I like Romo but gently caress no

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW
They are from different eras and it's pointless to compare them.

Staubach was better relative to his era than Romo is relative to his.

Romo is clearly better because he's one of the best QBs in the game today, which has advanced far beyond the game of Staubach's era.

Everything is true.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

kalensc posted:

I'm driving all day Friday from Montreal to NC for the Seahawks and Saints games. You're making me doubt the likelihood of seeing smart football.

It's the NFC south so this year... no.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Chilichimp posted:

Talk poo poo about Tannehill one time in the offseason...

I'm kidding with you my B

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
DOLFAN is my favorite TFF poster

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

CharlestheHammer posted:

I had forgotten all about Aliki Smith and Steve Beurline.

Recognize the rest tho.

*Fun* facts about my bro Steve Buerlein

In 2000 He threw for 3,370 passing yards - the 5th most in Carolina Franchise history.

Mr. Buerlein has 12,690 passing yards with Carolina which made him the 2nd most in franchise history until last week, when Cam hit Greg Olsen on a 20 yard pass to surpass him. Cam now has 12,771 franchise passing yards.

Steve Buerlein is still the franchise record holder for most yards in a season when in 1999 he very quietly threw for 4,436 passing yards in one season. This currently ranks as 43rd best for a passer in terms of yards in the NFL.

33 of those QBs have accomplished their season after 1999. Meaning when this was accomplished the Carolina Panthers had the 10th best QB in terms of yardage in the history of the NFL.

Steve's company in the top 10 in 1999?

People you've never heard of:
Dan Marino x3
Dan Fouts x2
Warren Moon x2
Neil Lomax
Lynn Dickey

Fake edit because this keeps on giving:

In 99 Beurlein also threw for 36 :psyduck: touchdowns in that season. Only Jake "bojangles.gif" Delhomme (29 in 2004) can sniff that number in the franchise. Career wise, Cam (72) is still 14 behind Beurlein (86).

Where does this magical forgotten 1999 season rank as far as amount of passing TDs?

Currently it sits tied at 18th. At the the time it was sixth best in the history of the NFL . As of now the usual suspects have more in one season: Manning, Marino, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Favre, Warner, Stafford, and Culpepper For all the pride in the defenses of the NFC North, 4 of those 9 names are NFC North QBS . Tied with Beurlein (and who aren't already mentioned) are just George Blanda, YA Tittle, and :romo:.

If your favorite QB hasn't been mentioned he has never had as good of a season as Steve Beurlein :smug:.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

waah posted:

In 2000 He threw for 3,370 passing yards - the 5th most in Carolina Franchise history.

Mr. Buerlein has 12,690 passing yards with Carolina which made him the 2nd most in franchise history until last week, when Cam hit Greg Olsen on a 20 yard pass to surpass him. Cam now has 12,771 franchise passing yards.

Steve Buerlein is still the franchise record holder for most yards in a season when in 1999 he very quietly threw for 4,436 passing yards in one season. This currently ranks as 43rd best for a passer in terms of yards in the NFL.

33 of those QBs have accomplished their season after 1999. Meaning when this was accomplished the Carolina Panthers had the 10th best QB in terms of yardage in the history of the NFL.

Dan Marino x3
Dan Fouts x2
Warren Moon x2
Neil Lomax
Lynn Dickey

In 99 Beurlein also threw for 36 :psyduck: touchdowns in that season. Only Jake "bojangles.gif" Delhomme (29 in 2004) can sniff that number in the franchise. Career wise, Cam (72) is still 14 behind Beurlein (86).

Where does this magical forgotten 1999 season rank as far as amount of passing TDs?

Currently it sits tied at 18th. At the the time it was sixth best in the history of the NFL . As of now the usual suspects have more in one season: Manning, Marino, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Favre, Warner, Stafford, and Culpepper For all the pride in the defenses of the NFC North, 4 of those 9 names are NFC North QBS . Tied with Beurlein (and who aren't already mentioned) are just George Blanda, YA Tittle, and :romo:.

If your favorite QB hasn't been mentioned he has never had as good of a season as Steve Beurlein :smug:.

Wow... that's a pretty impressive breakdown and while I remember Buerline I just don't remember how much he was owning at the time.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

That Works posted:

Wow... that's a pretty impressive breakdown and while I remember Buerline I just don't remember how much he was owning at the time.

I have the opposite problem, I always end up thinking of Beuerlein like he was a pretty good quarterback for a long time. Then you go look him up and he was either mediocre or downright bad outside of a couple of years in Carolina where he was pretty amazing.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

waah posted:

Dan Marino x3
Dan Fouts x2
Warren Moon x2
Neil Lomax
Lynn Dickey

I have literally never heard of this man until this very moment.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

He was absolutely a flash in the pan, but he was our flash in the pan. If only our team doctors didnt try to be mad scientists and our other reciever decide putting a hit out on his pregnant girlfriend was a good idea...

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

waah posted:

He was absolutely a flash in the pan, but he was our flash in the pan. If only our team doctors didnt try to be mad scientists and our other reciever decide putting a hit out on his pregnant girlfriend was a good idea...

Huh, Carruth is scheduled for release in four years. For some reason I thought it was life.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

swickles posted:

Huh, Carruth is scheduled for release in four years. For some reason I thought it was life.

Wonder how long he stays out and alive...

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

No Butt Stuff posted:

Wonder how long he stays out and alive...

He will be reviled and rightfully shunned upon release, but no one is gonna kill him.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

waah posted:

He will be reviled and rightfully shunned upon release, but no one is gonna kill him.

Too bad.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

waah posted:

He'll sign a 1 day contract so he can retire as a Panther imo

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

African AIDS cum posted:

He'll sign a 1 day contract so he can retire as a Panther imo

Riverboat Ron will drag him kicking and screaming onto the field and make him run a jet sweep against 3 down linemen

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Beuerlein chat made me look up Tshimanga "Tim" Biakabutuka, who I thought was cool as a small child. Did you guys know he owns three Bojangles?

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
I recall Steve Buerlein backing up Jay Schroeder for the Raiders back in 89-90 and subsequently let go due to salary issues, Vince Evans and drafting Marinovich :sigh:

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
While we're talking about unnoticed statistical prowess in long dead QBs: One of the things I always thought was pretty impressive about McNabb but never got any real attention was the fact that he was the first QB to ever throw for more than 30 TDs and fewer than 10 INTs in one season.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Mcnabb was amazing before he got fat

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Homestar Runner posted:

hoo boy the Broncos are gonna administer some cruel and unusual punishment on the Chargers on a short week
"Deja Vu In Denver?

The last team to beat the Broncos in Denver? San Diego ... last year ... on a Thursday night."

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

African AIDS cum posted:

Mcnabb was amazing before he got fat

Truly the Vincent D'ONofrio of quarterbacks

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

BlindSite posted:

You're just mad because Priest Holmes routinely gashed the Chargers like it was cool. He was real good in his day, the offensive line was a killer but he was a great back in his day.

He also has one of the raddest names in football history..no, in history period.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

never stop posting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ83nnODDjs

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Too bad redzone wasn't around then.

poo poo would've been beyond incredible

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Mike Ditka trying to gently caress the Panthers over as hard as possible is just the greatest thing; not that I dislike the Panthers but that's some pro-level spite.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 24, 2014

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Boomer is such an amazing name for a Quarterback

It's like his parents knew what he was going to do for a living

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

waah posted:

Dan Marino x3
Dan Fouts x2
Warren Moon x2
Neil Lomax
Lynn Dickey

I refuse to read that many words about Steve Buerlein

Ostentatious posted:

Boomer is such an amazing name for a Quarterback

It's like his parents knew what he was going to do for a living

His options:

- Norman
- Julius
- "Boomer"

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Steve Beuerlein was cut in training camp by George Seifert in favor of Jeff Lewis. Seifert's reasoning "if I have him, I'll have to use him."

Jeff Lewis was quickly shown as being unable to play professional football and was released, leading to Chris Weinke starting week 1 against the vikings and stunning them in Minneapolis.

The next day was 9/11.

Basically what I'm saying is George Seifert caused 9/11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kanoodle moodle
Sep 12, 2011

FizFashizzle posted:

Steve Beuerlein was cut in training camp by George Seifert in favor of Jeff Lewis. Seifert's reasoning "if I have him, I'll have to use him."

Jeff Lewis was quickly shown as being unable to play professional football and was released, leading to Chris Weinke starting week 1 against the vikings and stunning them in Minneapolis.

The next day was 9/11.

Basically what I'm saying is George Seifert caused 9/11.

Yeah, weird that nothing else happened that season though. Nothing at all.

• Locked thread