Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
mods sticky this thread please

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2014/10/16/ps4-outsells-xbox-one-for-september/ posted:

The NPD report for September is in, and Sony’s PS4 once again outsells Microsoft’s Xbox One to be the top selling console for the month. This comes after Michael Pachter predicted that the Xbox One would emerge victorious for the first time in 2014, mostly due to a free game deal that made it much cheaper to get the Xbox One during the week of Destiny’s release. But momentum and Sony’s exclusive content and marketing deals for Destiny held firm, and Sony’s console continues to cement its lead in the current generation as we move into the fall release season.

That free game deal is an important feature: theoretically, a gamer could have gotten an Xbox One, Madden 15 and Destiny for the same price as a PS4. Microsoft has been pretty aggressive about marketing its bundles recently, to the point at which there’s basically no reason to pick up a new Xbox One without a free game, effectively dropping its price to the $340 region. It would appear that it’s part of a strategy to start to close the gap with the PS4, but so far, it’s not working. Sony’s PS4 has been riding high since launch, and there’s no real sign that it’s going to stop doing so in the upcoming holiday season, since neither company is coming out with any of their heavy-hitting exclusives.

Hardware in total jumped 200 percent year over year, even if the software side of things was down. That’s hardly surprising, considering that last September saw the launch of GTA 5, one of the biggest games in console history. Also, it’s important to remember that NPD only measures physical sales, and that’s going to give us an increasingly inaccurate picture as digital sales continue to grow.

Unsurprisingly, Destiny ended up the #1 game handily, followed by Madden 15, Fifa 15, Super Smash Bros. and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor.

“The launch of Activision-published and Bungie-developed Destiny in September 2014 proved successful in a number of ways: year-to-date through September data it is the top-selling video game on a unit basis, making it the most successful launch of the year so far as well,” wrote NPD analyst Liam Callahan, via Gamespot. “But an even more prestigious feat was the fact that Destiny had the best launch month of all-time for any new IP in video game software.”

Things are bound to get interesting in the next few months, when the current-gen consoles get their first holiday season after launch. I imagine the PS4 will probably continue to outsell, but even more interesting will be comparing these consoles to previous generations.
looks like things are heating up in the console war now that ps4 has finally struck back
grand theft auto 5 is a game that came out on consoles last year and a good game but not as good as some games
200 hundred percent more means actually 3x but if something increaded to 200% of what it was before that is only 2x
be on the lookout (or look-out) for things getting interesting in the next few months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

poop and balls

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Dwarf Fortress is the only good video game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6FXeupOp04

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Console war? Heh, more like poo poo gently caress piss cum

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
The x box one has the wrong kind of ram...!

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

haha get this they called their third console, that means there has alraedy been two others ones, they called it the xbox ONE haha what the gently caress

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I saw the trailers for Destiny and thought it looked stupid and bad, but maybe I'm just not a video games guy.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Obligatory "console gaming has been long dead" post.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

PC master race checking in: lol whatever scrubs

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

THe numbers Mason, what do they mean

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

LethalGeek posted:

PC master race checking in: lol whatever scrubs

yeah enjoy your small display lmbo

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Is The Xbox One the new Dreamcast/Virtual Boy/Bandai Pippin/Dendy?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom posted:

Is The Xbox One the new Dreamcast/Virtual Boy/Bandai Pippin/Dendy?

No it's worse than all of those things combined.

Dreamcast didn't bombarde you with adds and it's games came complete and reasonably priced and well well put together, unlike the Xbox one's overpriced glitch fest

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
dreamcast symphony of the night literally has incomplete bonus content
xbox one: 1
dreamcast: 0
your move

naem
May 29, 2011

Maybe if we treat our customers like garbage idiots we can produce a lovely expemsove product

-game man

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I've seen the sunrise, and I've kissed the rain, and I've laughed with people that I'll never see again.
You've been beside me in sadness and joy.

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
what kind of scum reads forbes?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I just want Sunset Overdrive on the PC :(

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

xbox is bad, console games are bad

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I just want Sunset Overdrive on the PC :(

I still really like the first Halo

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

quote:

but even more interesting will be comparing these consoles to previous generations
you should make note that this will be an interesting thing

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

actionjackson posted:

yeah enjoy your small display lmbo

if you dont have a pc connected to your tv i dont even know why you havent killed you are self

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe

Iggy Koopa posted:

poop and balls

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

what kind of scum reads forbes?

Someone who wants to become a stock picking genius and then lose all money in stock market.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
PC is the best platform, sorry about the OP.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Video games are OK IMHO. This is kind of a controversial statement, but I fancy myself something of an iconoclast.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Race Hate Kramer posted:

Dwarf Fortress is the only good video game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6FXeupOp04

texasmed
May 27, 2004
Dwarf Fortress really is pretty good

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
Im a gamer, all I care about is stuff people sell me and bullshit.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
This isn't a console war, it's a console murder.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Mister Fister posted:

PC is the best platform, sorry about the OP.

Consoles can't compete with the experience of PC gaming: two thousand hours of DotA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

it owns how Microsoft lost billions of dollars on their entertainment division.

I guess producing a console the size of solar system is its own reward

• Locked thread