Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KING BONG
Aug 6, 2009
I am currently using a Rode NTG1 shotgun mic fed into a Zoom H4N Digital Recorder through the XLR input for recording dialogue on film shoots. I also have a PreSonus Firewire audio interface, and I use Adobe Audition CS6 for mixing and editing. Is this equipment adequate for recording Foley?

I am somewhat surprised there isn't a Foley thread. Are there any Goons familiar with recording Foley? It would be interesting to learn about the different equipment and techniques specific to recording Foley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperiorToaster
Jul 22, 2004
Inferior
Fun Shoe
Depends. Shotgun microphones are a popular choice but there really isn’t a ‘one size fits all’ microphone for any application,

Whether or not the NTG1 is adequate depends entirely on what you want to record with it and the production values of your film projects. Is it a small sound with a lot of detail? A really loud sound? An atmospheric or ambient sound? These variables dictate the choice of microphone type (dynamic, condenser) and polar pattern (cardioid, omni). It’s also common to use multiple microphones simultaneously for their different characteristics.

This thread on gearslutz has good info about popular foley mics with similar context to your question, but budget options are quite limited.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/post-production-forum/256233-foley-mics.html

Foley recording usually implies an element of performance on the part of the foley artist because the sounds needs to match the action onscreen. This means you have to pay special attention to wearing clothing that won’t rustle, the acoustic environment you’re recording in and how much of it you want to capture, and how you might layer sounds for creative purposes inside the DAW.

KING BONG
Aug 6, 2009
Great article, thanks for the link. I think I might upgrade my Rode NTG-1, to the NTG-3, and then shoot for a Sennheiser MKH416. I also want to try one of the tips given about recording Foley on a sound stage and recording with one mic at the source of the sound and using another farther away and pointed in the opposite direction.

• Locked thread