Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
bring back gently caress the row

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

I don't even remember gently caress the row but they couldn't be worse than this

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Jose Oquendo posted:

This is thatdamnjew's wife. Yes, I have cleared this with a mod.

Sadly, thatdamnjew passed away June 14. It was very sudden and unexpected despite his long-time battle with chronic neck and back pain.

Here is the short version as closely as I can relate it without the corroborating toxicology report which won't be available for another six weeks. Once toxicology comes back and cites a specific cause of death, I may be updating this thread with a relieved post or a very angry one. We shall see.

On Friday, thatdamnjew went to his normal pain medication refill appointment and picked up his prescriptions. He filled them at the store down the street, which was the only place in town that stocked everything he needed thanks to one very nice pharmacy tech. Anyway, as was his habit (and other chronic pain sufferers have seconded this as normal behaviour), he took one of his immediate-release pain pills before he drove off. (I verified with the Coroner that there was only one pill missing from his new 'scrip bottle.)

Now, usually when he picked up his prescriptions, he came straight home. This time he drove a little way down the road and picked up two Red Bulls, some cigarettes, and a grape soda.

I know the first pill of the bottle always gave him the nods, but he usually handled that safely at home. The effects of the pill must have kicked in about the time he pulled into the driveway; the keys were in his lap and his posture was relaxed when I found him.

The high temperature of that afternoon was 104 (F). You do not stay in a car in the afternoon sun out here or you'll die. What likely happened is that the nods caught him, he relaxed into the feeling of lowered pain, and he died of heatstroke. Heatstroke can occur at temperatures over 104 degrees (F) and if he was in the car for more than ten minutes, the temperature inside could easily have reached 120 or more. In that kind of temperature, with his shaky health... no chance.

When I found him, there was nothing anyone could do. I smashed the back window of the car with a sledgehammer and climbed in to try and save him but all I got out of it was a traumatic memory seared into my brain and a bloody foot. Our kids were elsewhere at the time, however, for which I am eternally thankful for.

If there are two things I can take from this experience, they are to make sure you and your family members have life insurance, and to pay attention to the ones you love because little things that you miss can turn into big things that can't be avoided.

-- thatdamnjew's widow

Some of you may have heard about the death of thatdamnjew.

Manner of death:
Accidental

Cause of death:
I. Mixed drug intoxication
II. Respiratory system:
A. Lungs, congestion and edema

Well, his Accidental Death life insurance policy was denied despite the ruling of 'accidental' per the coroner, and I'm trying to type up an appeal.

They insurance company is denying the claim because the levels of oxymorphone and fentanyl in his blood were "within a general toxic range," and "some medication present in his system at the time of death were at toxic levels." Their policy states an exclusion of coverage for: "voluntary ingestion of any narcotic, drug, poison, gas or fumes, unless prescribed or taken under the direction of a physician and taken in accordance with the prescribed dosage." I'm trying to prove his levels were within the range of his tolerance and prescribed dose.

His prescribed doses at the time of his death, which I can prove with paperwork from his pain management doctor:
Oxymorphone (Opana IR) 10mg, 5/day
Fentanyl patch 75mcg/hour q48h (it's been up to 100mcg, and, at one point, was two 75mcg/h patches)

His prescription history included Opana ER, Opana IR, fentanyl, dilaudid, roxycodone, and a combination of all of them at some point or another.

Here are the levels from the toxicology report:

Oxymorphone - Free: 19 ng/mL
Fentanyl: 8.2 ng/mL
Norfentanyl: 4.9 ng/mL

The reference comments from the tox report state:
"Thirty minutes following a single 10 mg immediate-release tablet, mean peak plasma concentrations were 1.9 ng/mL."
"After application of a fentanyl transdermal preparation (patch), serum fentanyl concentrations are reported to be in the following ranges within 24 hours: 75mcg/hour patch, 1.1 - 2.6 ng/mL."

He had taken the oxymorphone within an hour of his death, by my assumption. There was one oxymorphone 10mg pill gone from his prescription he had filled just prior to his death, and one 75mcg/h patch out of the box. A partial piece of an unused patch and "two apparently worn patches" were in the bag from the pharmacy, and one unused patch in his pocket. His prescription for the month prior was the same as was filled on 6/14.

I've found numbers (dose proportionality for peak plasma levels and extent of absorption) that show an acceptable steady-state level of oxymorphone (Opana IR) at his prescribed dosage of 10mg, but the dosing time for that study is every six hours for five days and his was every four hours (and he likely had a higher bioavailabilty of closer to 40% since I'm sure it went up his nose that day; I'm not keen on going that route because it's not taken as prescribed, but it was still only one pill so if I have to, I have to). Is there a formula to get the right numbers for his dose?

This is the info I have for every six hours dosing for five days at 10mg at a max bioavailablity of 10%:
Cmax (ng/mL) : 3.51 (+/-) 0.91
AUC (extent of absorption) (ng*hr/mL) : 10.19 (+/-) 3.34

I'm having trouble finding anything on fentanyl levels besides what the tox report tells me.

I don't think they're correct in using general numbers as reference to his reported toxic levels. He'd been on medication of a similar nature since June of 2007. His tolerance was extremely high. He had to have special anesthesia setups in the hospital for his surgery. His pain had never been truly managed but he was at the top level of what the insurance would cover and the FDA would allow his doctor to prescribe.

I need to at least put together a coherent statement for the appeal, stating that his levels would be higher due to his tolerance and constant dosage, and have numbers to correlate.

Respiratory depression (lung edema / congestion) can also be attributed to heatstroke, and he was in a very hot vehicle at the time of death.

Now, I'm not stupid. I understand what happened. I know what these numbers mean. I don't want to relive my late husband's stupidity more than I have to right now, though, so what I need is someone who understands how these numbers work to help me present something to the appeal folks to at least give me a chance at the meager life insurance policy he had so I have something for his kids when they're older. I'm doing alright, but this, this is not really my field and I'm already dealing with the trauma of having to do it.

This is the only place I could think of with the resources and knowledge to give me any kind of help. Good or bad, have at it.

What the gently caress is going on here

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Dude popped a benzo before driving. Pulled into his driveway and fell asleep. Baked to death in his car. Wife was asking how to commit insurance fraud because they wouldn't pay up for obvious reasons.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
did she ever get any insurance

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Zzulu posted:

did she ever get any insurance

I think that was her last post so we have no idea. I'm guessing no.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Haha holy poo poo, my brain went fucky and I didn't realize it was a quote. I thought you were señor deadgoon's wife just popping right into the dead goon thread to drop some horribly misaimed request for help from pantsshitters out of either desperation or stupidity

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

HoboZero posted:

Haha holy poo poo, my brain went fucky and I didn't realize it was a quote. I thought you were señor deadgoon's wife just popping right into the dead goon thread to drop some horribly misaimed request for help from pantsshitters out of either desperation or stupidity

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3557301

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3583393

Alas Boobylon
Sep 30, 2014
its really funny when goons die i hope more goons die

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Alas Boobylon posted:

this but unironically

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Alas Boobylon posted:

hope you're first

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Tomorrow I am going to kill myself, I'm taking suggestions how - but it needs to be in a way that'll up my Tumbler followers. TIA.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Ratjaculation posted:

Tomorrow I am going to kill myself, I'm taking suggestions how - but it needs to be in a way that'll up my Tumbler followers. TIA.

Cut your dick off and bleed to death because the gatekeeper doctors don't believe you have gender dysphoria and refuse to perform SRS on you.

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine
wow this thread took a real dark turn.

Now cracks a noble heart. Good night sweet prince:
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest!
Why does the drum come hither?

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
the goon wife

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

What the gently caress folks, nobody here die. Hey, buddy! Yeah, you in the back. Joy Division shirt, yeah you see me. No. Dying. You do that poo poo on your own time. You're on forums time now, goddammit, and it's Don't loving Die o'clock.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

HoboZero posted:

What the gently caress folks, nobody here die. Hey, buddy! Yeah, you in the back. Joy Division shirt, yeah you see me. No. Dying. You do that poo poo on your own time. You're on forums time now, goddammit, and it's Don't loving Die o'clock.

this guy, I'm telling you

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

impenetrable ironic humor beats inoperable colonic tumor

Nobody likes a Gloomy Gus is what I'm getting at here droogs

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
watch out for the guard rails smb123

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Alas Boobylon posted:

What happens when Lowtax dies? Is it like Dracula? So the head Goon dies and suddenly we all revert back to normal people?

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

Nah, not that he wasn't funny on occasion, but his trolling was far too obvious.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

What happens when Lowtax dies? Is it like Dracula? So the head Goon dies and suddenly we all revert back to normal people?

Shmorky becomes head of the forums and mandatory bunnyboy avatars are the norm.

Alas Boobylon
Sep 30, 2014

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

i just assumed it was the quickening

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine

Jose Oquendo posted:

Dude popped a benzo before driving. Pulled into his driveway and fell asleep. Baked to death in his car. Wife was asking how to commit insurance fraud because they wouldn't pay up for obvious reasons.

What was this dude's avatar? It wasn't the dude holding the bowling ball, was it? If so that's sad. If not, I don't really care since I didn't know him anyway.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Someone needs another wicket avatar, or extra innings loving needs to return to GBS. Mister Gooniverse was a pretty good poster, which always prompted people to buy him the Worlds Best Poster custom titles.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
im a gbs superstar but thankfully alive and well

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

skeletonotherkin posted:

Nah, not that he wasn't funny on occasion, but his trolling was far too obvious.

he was rad

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Fetus Tree posted:

im a gbs superstar but thankfully alive and well

I pray for this

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine
Whatever happened to Microwave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Seriouspost let's all take a moment and be happy to be alive for a few minutes because life is comparatively p neat considering the other option.

Ok done.

• Locked thread