Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Funding from the National Institutes of Health has been lovely since the mid-2000s and it is only getting worse.

Its always been lovely but its more lovely

Erica Ollmann Saphire is a Professor of Immunology and Microbial Science at Scripps

http://www.scripps.edu/research/faculty/saphire

As you can see from her CV, the good Professor studies Ebola by taking a structural biology approach. She also studies Lassa and Marburg viruses which are cool. Alright, alright, Marburg is a filovirus like Ebola; and Lassa virus causes a hemorrhagic fever similar to the hemorrhagic fevers caused by Marburg and Ebola, so understanding Marburg and Lassa viruses may yield understanding about Ebola. That's the relevance.

Professor Saphire needs $100,000 for a major piece of lab equipment to speed up her Ebola research. She has stated that her grant funding covers basic salaries and basic chemicals but she hasn't updated major pieces of lab equipment in about ten years. I think the funds requested are for a top of the line HPLC.

The main problem the Saphire lab is facing that requires this piece of lab equipment is that serum samples from Ebola survivors are being sent to her lab in bulk.

LA Times posted:

Twenty-five laboratories in seven countries are sending antibodies to Scripps so that Saphire and other researchers can hunt for the best combination to fight Ebola.

"With the Ebola virus, we're in a race," Saphire said.

According to the Scripps' Facebook page; “Samples are being sent to her lab from around the world, but the number of samples outpaces the ability of her current equipment to process them. Funding for equipment and staff will allow Dr. Saphire to work more aggressively to fight Ebola.”

As I understand it, the Ebola survivor's sera may contain antibodies to Ebola. If those can be purified from the survivor's sera then the Saphire lab can do structural analysis on the antibodies to find out what specific protein or sugar-protein (glycoprotein) structures on the Ebola virus (capsid) that are recognized by the immune system. With this information additional therapeutics against the Ebola virus can be developed.

You can fund the Saphire lab here: https://www.crowdrise.com/CUREEBOLA

LA Times article: http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-ebola-crowdfunding-20141012-story.html

Scripps on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ScrippsResearchInstitute

Professor Saphire on a radio talk show discussing how donating to the crowdfunding request directly assists Ebola research (Starts at 3 minutes): http://www.kfiam640.com/media/podcast-john-and-ken-on-demand-JohnandKen/john-and-ken-4pm-1017-25446373/

Saphire Lab on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEtu-TPPR2A

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Have they tried a kickstarter?

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Nah

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."
I might as well throw my money directly at ISIS because if I give it to this nut that is where it is going anyway,

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

What if I want ebola to ravage a poor country? Who do i give money to then?

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Fried Watermelon posted:

What if I want ebola to ravage a poor country? Who do i give money to then?

lowtax

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
kickstarter for disease research.

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

gently caress this gay earth.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
science needs more funding

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
would literally rather support hotdogs, no thx op

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
also lol that theres a 0% chance anybody is cancelling christmas bc of this thread haha

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
if we didnt take care of this back in the 90s and quarantine it we all deserve to die gently caress it morans

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
tell her to write a letter to the nfl and ask them for money since they are a nonprofit and dedicated to finding a cure for breast cancer they will trip over themselves to help imho

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
ha, imagine how different this thread would be if you took the last two words out of the title!

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
"Every time you get ebola, you get to become a kid again for two minutes." said in a really loving noni way

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Im helping out by catching ebola, ive already done my part

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Stoic Commie posted:

tell her to write a letter to the nfl and ask them for money since they are a nonprofit and dedicated to finding a cure for breast cancer they will trip over themselves to help imho

as long as they are 100% legit and also very visible about the request, this might actually have a chance to work because thats a drop in the bucket for the NFL to gain a "helped to directly fight the ebola virus" pin

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i hope that op gets ebola haha wouldnt taht be nuts

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Iggy Koopa posted:

i hope that op gets ebola haha wouldnt taht be nuts

im willing to pee blood on the op, lets make this happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkstar Deluxe