Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vulgarian
Oct 2, 2011

Serrath posted:

Your ignorant speculation is 100% correct. Id point out as well (and there are studies about this) that there are "cultural" differences between MDs and DOs in the with MDs tending to score higher on general tests of scientific literacy but DOs evidencing better "patient-centred" approaches to practice. This probably relates more to the type of medical student that is attracted to each speciality, though, rather than differences in curriculum.

Which helps drive people to Chiros in the first place. Most people are emotional thinkers, and they like stories and to be made to feel special. Doctors are generally pretty awful at this, and one of the things that doctors have always had trouble communicating to the general populace, is that even in actual, real medicine, there can be different approaches to solving a problem.

People really like to think medicine works like religion (probably because religion was a primitive form of medicine) with an established orthodoxy that has one set of rules and singular solutions for any given problem. In reality, it's a complex discipline and that successful treatment might require different approaches...which for the average person is highly unsatisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Utopian Mind posted:

Which helps drive people to Chiros in the first place. Most people are emotional thinkers, and they like stories and to be made to feel special. Doctors are generally pretty awful at this, and one of the things that doctors have always had trouble communicating to the general populace, is that even in actual, real medicine, there can be different approaches to solving a problem.

I like to think this problem will be gone within a couple generations. I'm in medical school now and human skills and general empathy comprise a large proportion of our core curriculum. There's an unspoken subtext among the university staff that this is driven by general perceptions of doctors and we keep getting lectures where we're told we're expected to change the culture once we graduate and get to consultancy level.

One of our communication skills this semester was actually communication with people with a mistrust of doctors. As easy as it is to make fun of chiropractors and naturopaths and anti-vaxers, at the core of each of these groups is a fundamental mistrust of medicine and, given the history of medical practice, this mistrust may not be misplaced... I think medicine has an important role in shaping public perceptions of the field and, if a better case was made for medical practice, maybe it wouldn't be so easy for chiropractors to thrive.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

Baby chiropractic is complete bullshit. I you realyl want to gently caress up your baby, yoga is where it's at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7ihdsjIqhI

what the gently caress

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

s0j posted:

fyad did this thread a few years ago and yeah they're loving nuts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gIgg00cyK0

i really enjoyed this w/ the sound off. i feel like watching it again w/ sound would only diminish it.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Serrath posted:

I like to think this problem will be gone within a couple generations. I'm in medical school now and human skills and general empathy comprise a large proportion of our core curriculum. There's an unspoken subtext among the university staff that this is driven by general perceptions of doctors and we keep getting lectures where we're told we're expected to change the culture once we graduate and get to consultancy level.

One of our communication skills this semester was actually communication with people with a mistrust of doctors. As easy as it is to make fun of chiropractors and naturopaths and anti-vaxers, at the core of each of these groups is a fundamental mistrust of medicine and, given the history of medical practice, this mistrust may not be misplaced... I think medicine has an important role in shaping public perceptions of the field and, if a better case was made for medical practice, maybe it wouldn't be so easy for chiropractors to thrive.

lmfao teaching mds people skills is like teaching mbas ethics

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I'm assuming these people completely disregard the idea of taking their kids to a standard pediatrician MD when they feel they need health care. I loving hate them.

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
if you didnt have a fundamental mistrust of medicine before you turned to alternative medicine you certainly will after your homeopathic chiropractor yoga instructor prescribes unpasteurized honey for your rubella infected baby's fractured spine

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

does anyone know if chiros actually believe the poo poo they practice, though?

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

ArmZ posted:

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Feminition posted:

does anyone know if chiros actually believe the poo poo they practice, though?

crap like this that depends on true believers for business tends to attract true believers as practitioners even if it starts off as a total scam so probably most of them do

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

Avalanche posted:

You will never find a chiro on staff at any hospital in the entire loving country.

uhh what?

https://www.google.com/search?q=hospital+chiropractic&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

ArmZ posted:

The world would be a slightly beter place if someone did try to teach MBAs how to be human beings

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Ivor Biggun posted:

The world would be a slightly beter place if someone did try to teach MBAs how to be human beings

MBAs are human. It's everyone else without one that is subhuman. HTH

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ivor Biggun posted:

that only works for actual people and not soulless corporate golems tho

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

BigBoss posted:

MBAs are human.

Patrick Bateman disagrees.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Serrath posted:

retards will continue not to vaccinate their kids regardless of whatever dumb communication course you've taken, spend the time on physiology instead, you can't really teach true people skills in any case

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Dave Concepcion posted:

retards will continue not to vaccinate their kids regardless of whatever dumb communication course you've taken, spend the time on physiology instead, you can't really teach true people skills in any case

Thats why we should put anti-vaxers in a mass grave and reprogram their children in government homes.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Kinda a derail but still related to the "people like doctors that aren't robots" chat:

I was on the market for a new family doctor recently so I went to see some guy at a clinic near my house. I checked him out on RateMDs.com and he got wicked good reviews because he was patient, attentive, and had good bedside manner and whatever. Cool this guy might be a good doctor I thought

When I got there we chatted for a bit in the exam room and he took at look at my wrist and toe because they were bothering me, then he took me into his office to "talk about health issues." Yeah, that was a bit weird. Then he spent the next few minutes talking at me about :
  • GMOs and how they cause dimentia, autism, and a host of other health issues. He told me to buy only organic or grains/pasta/bread from Italy.
  • Most of his patients "suffer" from electromagnetic hypersensitivity (for those who don't know, that is a disease that does not exist).
  • How I should take precautions to avoid contracting ebola.

That's all I can remember right now. I couldn't really talk to him about this poo poo because when I asked him if the papers he showed me were from accredited peer-reviewed journals he got really defensive and threw me in a Gish gallop. I don't remember much of the resulting rant except the part about how humans, having 23 pairs of chromosomes, shouldn't eat things with different numbers of chromosomes. So I guess that limits our diets to... cannibalism :confused:

Anyway I got out of ther epretty fast and good news: I actually found a good doctor not long ago.

and that's my crazy doctor story

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Mak0rz posted:

Kinda a derail but still related to the "people like doctors that aren't robots" chat:

I was on the market for a new family doctor recently so I went to see some guy at a clinic near my house. I checked him out on RateMDs.com and he got wicked good reviews because he was patient, attentive, and had good bedside manner and whatever. Cool this guy might be a good doctor I thought

When I got there we chatted for a bit in the exam room and he took at look at my wrist and toe because they were bothering me, then he took me into his office to "talk about health issues." Yeah, that was a bit weird. Then he spent the next few minutes talking at me about :
  • GMOs and how they cause dimentia, autism, and a host of other health issues. He told me to buy only organic or grains/pasta/bread from Italy.
  • Most of his patients "suffer" from electromagnetic hypersensitivity (for those who don't know, that is a disease that does not exist).
  • How I should take precautions to avoid contracting ebola.

That's all I can remember right now. I couldn't really talk to him about this poo poo because when I asked him if the papers he showed me were from accredited peer-reviewed journals he got really defensive and threw me in a Gish gallop. I don't remember much of the resulting rant except the part about how humans, having 23 pairs of chromosomes, shouldn't eat things with different numbers of chromosomes. So I guess that limits our diets to... cannibalism :confused:

Anyway I got out of ther epretty fast and good news: I actually found a good doctor not long ago.

and that's my crazy doctor story

link us to his rateMD page

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

de_dust posted:

link us to his rateMD page

i don't want to because it shows what clinic he works at :(

but in other news it Looks like we should only be eating badass lookin african antelopes and some tiny rear end Asian deer.

i bet those antelopes are pretty tasty.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Walked by a Chiro office that just opened up next to a Starbucks today. Parked in one of the handicap spots was a new BMW with a littmann stethoscope hanging on the mirror...

It's probably for the best. Wouldn't trust a Chiro to do anything with a stethoscope besides invent some new form of homicide that involves twisting the thing around a child's neck in order to "realign" the cervical spine.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
I liked my chiropractor

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

s0j posted:

fyad did this thread a few years ago and yeah they're loving nuts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gIgg00cyK0

Here's the product description for the butt shooter that she uses:

quote:

The ArthroStimŽ produces a succession of rapidly repeating, high velocity-low amplitude thrusts. The power of the thrusts can be changed from mere ounces of force, up to 40 pounds of thrusting force.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Eptar posted:

As someone who briefly considered going to DO (osteopathic) school rather than MD, here's what I remember. Osteopathy had it's roots in a bunch of voodoo bone medicine, but eventually had to drop the majority of the philosophy behind it and basically became a carbon copy of MD granting med schools. The exception is that in addition to having to undergo the standard 4 year med school curriculum, they have to take 200 hours of coursework in Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine (OMM). I think OMM tries to be a little more realistic than the chiropractic stuff, being as how the students have become used to evidence based real med school curriculum. MD students have to take the USMLE licensing exam (in 3 steps over the course of med school/residency), while DO students must take the COMLEX licensing exam. Do students can (and often do) take the USMLE exams as well as the COMLEX, and from what I've heard they are very similar.

Beyond all that, Osteopathic medical schools are typically a bit easier to get into that MD med schools, but it really doesn't matter because the licensing exams weed out the people who shouldn't be practicing medicine. Osteopathic schools also tend to be for profit (I think there's only one not-for-profit school), while American MD schools have been forbidden by whatever governing body from creating for profit schools (until very recently at least, I think there is a new for profit MD school about to open up in California).

My ignorant speculation is that the only reason DO schools retain the OMM curriculum is because they need something to separate themselves from MD granting schools, otherwise they have no reason for existing outside of the bodies that govern said MD schools. That being said, I've been meaning for years to take 30 minutes and search pub med for some hard data regarding OMM and the things it's supposed to treat and I have yet to do so; I'd rather just espouse my half-baked opinions in GBS.

There is currently only one for-profit DO school, RVUCOM in Colorado. Most DO schools are private, which may be what you meant.

The gap between GPA and MCAT scores between MD and DO has shrunk considerably in recent years, with 3.55/27 for DO and 3.69/31 for MD.

As for OMT, it's based mainly on the ideas of A.T. Still MD that dysfunction of the musculoskeletal system was the cause of many (maybe all) diseases. Keep in mind that he came up with this stuff back in the 1870s, well before evidence-based medicine became the standard practice in the 1980s-1990s. Most practicing DOs don't use OMT on their patients because it's usually not practical or indicated. That being said, some of it can be useful for minor musculoskeletal problems and restricted range of motion, which is why DOs are popular in sports medicine. There is a non-insignificant portion of what DO students learn that is bunk based on incorrect assumptions and faulty hypotheses. The reason those methods are still part of the DO curriculum is because the AOA is run by old DOs who insist that osteopathic medicine retain its distinctiveness rather than just becoming "an MD with different letters". Many of the current DO students I know are very skeptical about a lot of the OMT stuff, and see it as a hoop to jump through so they can be a physician. It's unlikely that those more pseudosciency OMT techniques will be removed from the curriculum until there is a changing of the guard within the AOA

On the other hand, DO residencies (AOA) and MD residencies (ACGME) are being merged, so all DO residency programs will have to earn accreditation through ACGME. So maybe with the training becoming even more similar than it already is--they're basically identical with the exception of the OMT--that woo stuff may fall to the wayside before then.

As for searching for peer-reviewed literature on the effectiveness of OMT, the most thorough, well-designed studies have concluded that it's about as effective as a good massage. Studies published in the JAOA are typically self-referencing, have design flaws, and often over-reach with their conclusions.

Escape_GOAT fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 26, 2014

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Here's comedian Dara O'Briain explaining about pseudoscience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDYba0m6ztE

phobo
Aug 7, 2008
all this talk of mis-aligned bones and butthole jackhammers is making me hot!!

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I went to the chiropractor and he stuck an ear candle in my rear end. Totally worked. Would go again!

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

No. 6 posted:

I went to the chiropractor and he stuck an ear candle in my rear end. Totally worked. Would go again!

Pardon me, but wouldn't that be an "rear end Candle"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

genesplicer posted:

Pardon me, but wouldn't that be an "rear end Candle"?

Yes, but the rear end is the Chapman Point for the ear.

• Locked thread