Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
We all know there's nothing worse than an American who awkwardly tries to shove Britishisms into their conversation. The yankee mouth is simply not fitted to the sounds of casual appendages like "mate," "squire," "oval office," and so on. You can actually see the phenomenon in an American about to deliver the word like a gush of afterbirth following the sentence: their lips linger a moment too long on the M, turning it into "mmate," as though their very jaws resist the faux pas about to occur.

However, what about the Canadians, our neighbors to the north? I have never to my knowledge actually conversed with a Canadian and thus not had the opportunity to hear for myself. Is this a borderline case? Will it vary by Province? Thanks in advance to anyone with an answer for my anthropological query.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
talk to newfies its not britishisms but you're in for a treat

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007
i think they're allowed to say "arse" but not "mate"

it's complicated

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i say mate every day source: i do it

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Canadians act more like upperclass brits, the ones who are overly polite and sit around sipping tea rather than the blue collar brits. So no, they can't say Mate

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Iggy Koopa posted:

i say mate every day source: i do it

You are too posh for this, Sid

Duane Walker
Sep 10, 2010
Canadians use "bud" way more often than "mate" unless they're one of those assholes that uses "cheers" as goodbye AND thank you AND as a toast.
Source: actual real life Canadian, bud.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
i always thought it was bub

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

i say mate and use cheers as thanks but im australian so its allowed

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

I say mate and cheers but it sounds weird when Canadians do it.

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

lonesomedwarf posted:

i say mate and use cheers as thanks but im australian so its allowed

its haram, actually

Fastball LIVE in concert
Jul 10, 2010
I'm a doorman at a bar in the great white north and I say cheers mate all the time.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

i once witnessed a conversation between a british person an australian and a canadian it was an experience i will not soon forget

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
mate is strictly the domain of brits and aussies. even brits shouldn't really be able to get away with it but we give them a pass because of their teeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
Canadians are allowed to use Britishisms if they want, imo, seeing as they still have our queen and spelling and are generally pretty cool people

• Locked thread