Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Problem description: While playing video games my fps drops/gets choppy for 10-20seconds at a time, and at the same time my CPU utilization also drops at the same time. This does not happen all the time, but does happen frequently. It has been happening for the past 2-3 weeks and I have tried quite a few things to try and fix it.

Attempted fixes: Downgraded drivers, did clean install of drivers, changed ram timings, checked HDD for errors (used windows tool). CPU is around 65C, GPU is around 55C generally, so its not overheating.

Recent changes: Upgraded drivers, added a second monitor (it does it when the second one isn't plugged in). Changed RAM timings (was at 1600, set to 1866, set them back, still happening)

Operating system: Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate

System specs:
Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive
EVGA 04G-P4-2768-KR G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 760 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support SC 4GB w/ EVGA ACX Cooler Video Card
CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M2A1866C10
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge Quad-Core 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K
ASRock Z77 Pro4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
PC Power and Cooling S61EPS 610W Continuous @ 40°C EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active (This is fairly old, I ordered a SeaSonic 620 w to replace it. Should arrive this week.)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: I tried googling around, but haven't been able to find much that seemed similar to whats happening.

EDIT I also captured a log with HWINFO, and looked around in that. It looks like right before my CPU usage goes down the GPU Video Bus Load spikes

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Check your running tasks (set to All Users) in taskmanager. You may have some kind of cryptocurrency malware running.

Also check Hijackthis and DPC Latency Checker for anything out of the ordinary.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 20, 2014

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Is that something MSE would pick up? I looked through my processes and there doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary that I can tell, though I would not be the best to judge what is or is not ordinary. 68 processes running.

The strange part about this is that with the FPS drop, the core usage also drops, as in System idle % increases.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
MSE may or may not find anything.
Post a log with hijackthis to check the running processes for anything weird.
- Save the logfile when running HJT, and then post it here for analysis:
http://www.hijackthis.de/

Also check your system temperatures with HWINFO64, especially when performance drops like that as either the videocard or the CPU may be overheating causing the PC to throttle. In the OP you said this wasn't the case but the min/max fields of HWINFO can verify that.

Other than that, maybe check your system RAM and VRAM for errors? Memtest86+ and OCCT's GPU memory test may shed some light.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 20, 2014

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Thanks for the help. Using that site, HijackThis says nothing is unsafe - any of the neutral entries are accounted for.

Using HWINFO, the fps drops occur when CPU is as low as 45 and GPU is as low as 42. I'll run Memtest tonight.

code:
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 4:19:53 PM, on 10/20/2014
Platform: Windows 7 SP1 (WinNT 6.00.3505)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v11.0 (11.00.9600.17344)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\Update Core\NvBackend.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\LG Soft India\forteManager\bin\Monitor.exe
C:\Users\Massasoit\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox\bin\Dropbox.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Razer\Synapse\RzSynapse.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Pidgin\pidgin.exe
C:\Downloads\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = [url]http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896[/url]
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = [url]https://www.google.com[/url]
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = [url]http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=255141[/url]
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = [url]http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896[/url]
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = [url]http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896[/url]
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = [url]http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=255141[/url]
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = 
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch = 
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\Windows\SysWOW64\blank.htm
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName = 
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=userinit.exe
O2 - BHO: Groove GFS Browser Helper - {72853161-30C5-4D22-B7F9-0BBC1D38A37E} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~3\Office14\GROOVEEX.DLL
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In SSV Helper - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: SkypeIEPluginBHO - {AE805869-2E5C-4ED4-8F7B-F1F7851A4497} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\SkypeIEPlugin.dll
O2 - BHO: URLRedirectionBHO - {B4F3A835-0E21-4959-BA22-42B3008E02FF} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~3\Office14\URLREDIR.DLL
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Razer Synapse] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Razer\Synapse\RzSynapse.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] C:\PROGRA~2\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\isuspm.exe -startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [GoogleChromeAutoLaunch_EFE7A94133566EBC59981236C7DE16F9] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --no-startup-window
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - Startup: Dropbox.lnk = Massasoit\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox\bin\Dropbox.exe
O4 - Global Startup: forteManager.lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office14\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Se&nd to OneNote - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office14\ONBttnIE.dll/105
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Se&nd to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: OneNote Lin&ked Notes - {789FE86F-6FC4-46A1-9849-EDE0DB0C95CA} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\ONBttnIELinkedNotes.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: OneNote Lin&ked Notes - {789FE86F-6FC4-46A1-9849-EDE0DB0C95CA} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\ONBttnIELinkedNotes.dll
O9 - Extra button: Skype Click to Call settings - {898EA8C8-E7FF-479B-8935-AEC46303B9E5} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\SkypeIEPlugin.dll
O11 - Options group: [ACCELERATED_GRAPHICS] Accelerated graphics
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.clonewarsadventures.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.freerealms.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.soe.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.sony.com
O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~2\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
O18 - Protocol: skypec2c - {91774881-D725-4E58-B298-07617B9B86A8} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\SkypeIEPlugin.dll
O18 - Filter hijack: text/xml - {807573E5-5146-11D5-A672-00B0D022E945} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE14\MSOXMLMF.DLL
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\nvinit.dll
O23 - Service: Adobe Flash Player Update Service (AdobeFlashPlayerUpdateSvc) - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: BattlEye Service (BEService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\BattlEye\BEService.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) Content Protection HECI Service (cphs) - Intel Corporation - C:\Windows\SysWow64\IntelCpHeciSvc.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\efssvc.dll,-100 (EFS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\fxsresm.dll,-118 (Fax) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\fxssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: NVIDIA GeForce Experience Service (GfExperienceService) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\GeForce Experience Service\GfExperienceService.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdatem) (gupdatem) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ieetwcollectorres.dll,-1000 (IEEtwCollectorService) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\IEEtwCollector.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: MySQL - Unknown owner - C:\Program.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\System32\netlogon.dll,-102 (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Network Service (NvNetworkService) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\NetService\NvNetworkService.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Streamer Service (NvStreamSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NvStreamSrv\nvstreamsvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (nvsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\nvvsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: PnkBstrA - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\PnkBstrA.exe
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\psbase.dll,-300 (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\Locator.exe,-2 (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\locator.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe,-3 (SNMPTRAP) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\snmptrap.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\spoolsv.exe,-1 (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\sppsvc.exe,-101 (sppsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\sppsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Steam Client Service - Valve Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Steam\SteamService.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D Driver Service (Stereo Service) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision\nvSCPAPISvr.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vaultsvc.dll,-1003 (VaultSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Wat\WatUX.exe,-601 (WatAdminSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\Wat\WatAdminSvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\wbengine.exe,-104 (wbengine) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbengine.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)

--
End of file - 10078 bytes

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 20, 2014

Zarc
Jul 25, 2014
Are you using any of the nvidia shadowplay/streaming stuff? I noticed you have geforce experience, the nvidia streaming service, and the nvidia stereoscopic (3d) driver going. I've never actually used shadowplay/nvidia streaming myself so I don't know what impact it might have on fps. (I've always had huge problems with geforce experience installed, though never noticed fps problems...just kept refusing to allow graphics driver updates. I refuse to use it now.)

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I do not use any of the stuff in GeForce experience - I thought it was part of the driver. I'm going to uninstall GeForce experience and see if that helps.

I also ran memtest and the test came back with 0 errors.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Uninstalling GeForce experience did not seem to help at all.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Run DDU: http://www.wagnardmobile.com/ and then reinstall the latest Nvidia beta drivers.

Check your HD using the portable zip edition of CDI and post a screenshot of that:
http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

Massasoit posted:

System specs:
(This is fairly old, I ordered a SeaSonic 620 w to replace it. Should arrive this week.)

Did that help at all?

PS uninstall Java unless you absolutely need it for something.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Power supply arrived on Thursday, but I won't have time to install it until Monday or Tuesday.

I uninstalled Java, I ran DDU and am installing beta driver 344.48. Will do CDI after.

edit: After reinstalling drivers after running DDU I am still having the issue. Will report findings if I don't gently caress up putting a new power supply in and blow up my house

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 25, 2014

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Put in the new power supply, cleaned off my CPU cooler (was a bit dusty), reapplied thermal paste. The issue still seems to be happening. Unless anyone else has an idea I'll just have to live with it.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I replaced my HDD with a SDD and the stutters seem to have stopped.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Massasoit posted:

I replaced my HDD with a SDD and the stutters seem to have stopped.

This probably just masks the issue and doesn't correct what is causing the stutters. The SSD is fast enough that whatever is causing the HDD usage doesn't effect the SSD enough to make the system stutter.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

r0ck0 posted:

This probably just masks the issue and doesn't correct what is causing the stutters. The SSD is fast enough that whatever is causing the HDD usage doesn't effect the SSD enough to make the system stutter.

Any thoughts on what the real issue might be?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Massasoit posted:

Any thoughts on what the real issue might be?

Uh sorry no. You might setup a performance counter on the ssd disk and see if that shows anything. But really if there is no symptom is there a problem?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Turns out that it isn't entirely fixed.

I have a graph I made that shows what the computer is doing during one of the FPS slowdowns. GPU D#D usage spikes, then goes down, and GPU memory controller % goes up.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Do you have the integrated graphics disabled on your motherboard? Disable it in the BIOS. Update your motherboard BIOS. Get the latest chipset drivers from intel's site. Use msconfig32 to enable minimal start up.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Pro4/index.us.asp?cat=Download&os=BIOS

Lots of odd features on that mobo and integrated graphics. Do you have any of those apps installed, enabled in the BIOS?
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Pro4/index.us.asp

quote:

1. HyperFormance™ - Optimized Game Responsiveness
HyperFormance intelligently removes redundant rendering tasks within the graphics pipeline, the CPU-GPU-Display system.

2. Virtual Vsync™ - Resolve the everlasting debate between quality and performance
Enhanced performance - when system has dGPU and iGPU

3. Switchable Graphics:
Dynamically assigns tasks to the best graphics resource regardless of physical cable connections.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I don't have any software installed for those things.

I disabled IGPU multi monitor which I think shut off my integrated graphics.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Still having the same issues with the SSD.

I did a mirror of my old HDD to the SSD. Would a maybe help out?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Massasoit posted:

Still having the same issues with the SSD.

I did a mirror of my old HDD to the SSD. Would a maybe help out?

A format?

Also, did you get the latest BIOS and drivers installed?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Yes, a reformat and a fresh install of Windows.

Latest BIOS is installed.

As far as Chipset, I THINK the latest are installed? I tried googling around and couldn't find anything conclusive on how to update them, but I ran an Intel tool and it said they were up to date.

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

You could try a fresh install of W7 if you want. At this point you've replaced the PSU and HD and that leaves GPU, RAM and the motherboard itself. One of those might have some kind of issue.

What games are you playing exactly when this issue happens?

• Locked thread