Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Wine drunk is really good for when you just want to do nothing and watch netflix, and a 6$ bottle of wine will get you there. Anything more and you're just not respecting the true value of wine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
Nah, wine is p good, but by all means continue being a negative Nancy that likes to gripe about harmless stuff that people enjoy.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

LifeSizePotato posted:

there have been double blind tests where expert sommeliers can't reliably tell a mid-tier grocery store wine from a thousands-of-dollars-of-bottle aged vintage

Lol if you're a grown rear end adult and still believe what wine tasters and "experts " say.It's basically the horoscope for elitists

Sommeliers are not nearly as bad as the spirit experts though. Vodka in particular.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

Bolek posted:

Lol if you're a grown rear end adult and still believe what wine tasters and "experts " say.It's basically the horoscope for elitists

Sommeliers are not nearly as bad as the spirit experts though. Vodka in particular.

Yeah, the way to do wine is basically "figure out what you like and try and find stuff that tastes like that". My favorite wine ever was $18, and there's a wine I buy all the time for like $16 that tastes pretty similar so I drink lots of that. I've had expensive wine I've liked and disliked, what a surprise taste is subjective. Think for yourself and let others do the same, it's really no big deal. Let rich people waste their money and feel good about it if they want, they're not forcing you to buy $4,000 bottles of Bordeaux or whatever. OH poo poo TRAP SPRUNG

BRB pooping posted:

Op, how do you decide wether something is going bad or not? Just by looking? The feeling of "oh poo poo" when you bite into old fish must suck

haha

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

does anyone remember when that wine storage service in new york got flooded during a big storm and their rich customers' $10k bottles of wine lost their labels and nobody knew what was what

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
People buy wine because marketing. Wine is the socially acceptable alcohol to pair with most meals. There are other alcohols for alcoholics, but they are not wine. Instead of valuing immediately relevant qualities of wine (alcohol content, taste, less sulfites, etc.) people are led to believe how old the wine is, or what it smells like are important. There are numerous examples shown on television and in films of people "enjoying" wine with a meal or with friends or at parties. The cumulative effect of this subtle campaign is massive.

Plenty of people fall for marketing but if you can determine what you like and appreciate beyond the influence of corrupt corporate interests and popular consensus, you will be a better person for it. (Even if you decide there are kinds of wine you like - being counterculture is irrelevant to the process.)

Cuniculous
Apr 23, 2007

kill people burn shit fuck school
Box wine is the poo poo.

Anyone who disagrees is a oval office.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

logical phalluses posted:

op tell us more about the basic pleasures you'll never experience so we can laugh at your pale simulacrum of a life

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIfBc2smkwI

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
There are differences between wines, but commercial wines are blended, and expensive ones blended with a hundred times their volume in lovely stuff, so that they can sell hundreds of thousands of bottles instead of hundreds.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Heads up your bottle of Yellowtail Cab is not as good as Earthquake.
Like yes, some cheap wines are unbelievably good, but lmao at people who insist the 6$ crap tastes (or that that cheap crap is the cheap stuff that most people talk about being just as good when it's actually trash Wood league poo poo) just as a decent bottle just because they want to feel less like they're missing out and justify their inept rage at people who have actually drank enough wine above the swill line to tell the difference between like, a Pinot Noir and a Cab and can sit there and say "Yeah this wine fruity as poo poo and that one meaty." and have it actually be true versus the retard who insists his bottle of Petit Petite has a hint of pencil lead.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

It's me, I'm the man that can parse out 6 distinct flavors out of a sip of old money laundering props. And then I spit it out because swallowing is vulgar

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I think the more important question is if "wine drunk" is a real thing or not

this merits further investigation with this bottle of wine with a rooster on it and the movie Face/Off

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

No one actually ENJOYS wine they are just pretending to because they want to seem sophisticated, that's just a fact folks. And I'll tell you what. I don't even drink wine. I drink Pepsi.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔
I went to a concert with some chums over the weekend and because I have no sense of hearing (deafness - google it) I did not detect the subtle harmonies and juicy rhythms and melodies and other poo poo I'm supposed to detect.

It all looked like bad dancing and they might as well have pointed out to me the subtle sounds of crying babies and smoke alarms and the unmistakable alarm clock buzz and I would have been fine with it.

I mean its music, I guess you can be entertained if you listen enough but do people really buy some type of music because it has more soul than some other label, also who cares what your music actually sounds like when you can dance in total silence.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Wine loving sucks

but if you must I enjoy a really smoky cabernet

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

logical phalluses posted:

op tell us more about the basic pleasures you'll never experience so we can laugh at your pale simulacrum of a life

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Monkey Fracas posted:

I think the more important question is if "wine drunk" is a real thing or not

this merits further investigation with this bottle of wine with a rooster on it and the movie Face/Off

Is it Rex Goliath? That poo poo is cheap, but also pretty passable. I'll drink me some giant cock, and my fiance always gets all pissed off at me for talking about it constantly while drinking said cock wine.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
I'm just gonna go enjoy this bottle of Unruly Red I have OP
I have sorry for your lost

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Captain Redbeard posted:

I went to a concert with some chums over the weekend and because I have no sense of hearing (deafness - google it) I did not detect the subtle harmonies and juicy rhythms and melodies and other poo poo I'm supposed to detect.

It all looked like bad dancing and they might as well have pointed out to me the subtle sounds of crying babies and smoke alarms and the unmistakable alarm clock buzz and I would have been fine with it.

I mean its music, I guess you can be entertained if you listen enough but do people really buy some type of music because it has more soul than some other label, also who cares what your music actually sounds like when you can dance in total silence.

Want some cheese to go with that, deafy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan
I'm drinking a shitload of brandy atm, which is basically wine X-TREME, but I have 6 gallons of berry wine to bottle tomorrow, and also a decent bottle of Bordeaux around here somewhere...so, what I'm saying is that I like wine, and I'm sad for you, OP.

• Locked thread