Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

ArbitraryC posted:

Really? I dated a phd psych student and was friends with a lot of the department and they mentioned several times you can't really diagnose that stuff in children or even young adults because pretty much everyone is bad at understanding the world doesn't revolve around them until they fully mature.
I have a four-year-old niece and she seems to have a pretty firm grip on the idea that hurting animals isn't okay; if your kid is out mutilating squirrels for giggles you've done something wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
ArbitraryC ruined a 45 year old child rapist's family.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
You should obviously teach your kid that hurting animals is not okay I'm just saying that if you stumble across little Timmy burning ants with a magnifying glass you don't need report him to the police as a potential serial killer.

Too bad pretending to know poo poo about psychology is so common among people.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtxyCdL8TIg

Sidecrab
Jul 16, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

*imaginary son of mine that will never exist because I've devoted my body to the lord runs into the room with the family dog's head placed on his own head like the red wedding bit in the hit TV Series GAME OF THRONES*

"well this is normal and he has no idea what he's doing"

lol

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
My cat is worth more than :10bux:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ArbitraryC posted:

You should obviously teach your kid that hurting animals is not okay I'm just saying that if you stumble across little Timmy burning ants with a magnifying glass you don't need report him to the police as a potential serial killer.

Too bad pretending to know poo poo about psychology is so common among people.

yea theres significant a difference about burning ants and cutting up squirrels with a pair of scissors (tho that one may have been fake, its hard to tell what ones were being serious)

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
AW MAN! I would WRECK THAT PUSSY! I would get up all in there....

What? What are you all looking at?

Guancho
Aug 23, 2010

You don't write any postcards when you're on the road to self-discovery
cats are the worst but still no

ps dogs rule

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

No and we must kill all mods to be sute this never happens.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Xaris posted:

yea theres significant a difference about burning ants and cutting up squirrels with a pair of scissors (tho that one may have been fake, its hard to tell what ones were being serious)
Invertibrates writhe when you damage them and learn to avoid things things they know cause that. They've done studies on spiders and such that amputate poisoned limbs and found that when you use poisons that hurt mammels (even those the spider may not be familiar with in its natural environment) they will still amputate the limb, but if you inject them with poisons that don't cause pain in mammels they won't even if it kills em. They've done studies on bees and found you can piss em off and make them more aggressive. They've even found you can see auxillery effects of pain like temperature changes, pulse, and eye dilation in species where that stuff is relevant.

Whether invertebrates can suffer is mainly up to debate due to the difference in cognative function and the short answer is we don't know, but on the surface an ant will react to being burned almost identically to any other animal.

Basically don't torture insects either its not okay just because they're not as cute and cuddly.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Look a lot of times I have to prod my scat because it gets stuck across the hole and won't go down but I definitely wouldn't call it torture I call it enhanced flushing techniques.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

ArbitraryC posted:

Invertibrates writhe when you damage them and learn to avoid things things they know cause that. They've done studies on spiders and such that amputate poisoned limbs and found that when you use poisons that hurt mammels (even those the spider may not be familiar with in its natural environment) they will still amputate the limb, but if you inject them with poisons that don't cause pain in mammels they won't even if it kills em. They've done studies on bees and found you can piss em off and make them more aggressive. They've even found you can see auxillery effects of pain like temperature changes, pulse, and eye dilation in species where that stuff is relevant.

Whether invertebrates can suffer is mainly up to debate due to the difference in cognative function and the short answer is we don't know, but on the surface an ant will react to being burned almost identically to any other animal.

Basically don't torture insects either its not okay just because they're not as cute and cuddly.

bugs can be cute but i am a mammalian supremacist

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
I would do anything for validation from anonymous strangers. In short, yes, OP.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I saw a kid chasing a pidgeon to try to kick it or something. It pissed me off royally but I wasn't ready to label the kid a serial killer yet.

CommonTerry
Dec 16, 2013

good is soda grape
i would murder that pussy

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

I think it has more to do with the fact that ants are tiny and don't literally scream in pain when you torture them. I'd absolutely think a little kid was a psychopath if he tortured ugly animals like raccoons or something. It has nothing to do with them being cute. Comparing ants to cats is one of the odder things I've ever read on this site, and I once read a story about a guy who shits in socks.

e: "an ant will react to being burned almost identically to any other animal" LOL yes an ant and a dog being burned have almost identical reactions :yikes:

jenny jones fan fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 21, 2014

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I value my cat more highly than I value you, Mr. Internet Person

YOUR UNCOOL NIECE
May 6, 2007

Kanga-Rat Murder Society
ew yuck, i would never post in e/n

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

ArbitraryC posted:

I am down with this

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
I don't believe cruel treatment of innocent animals and people so no.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
How about making a mod challenge about giving your kitty lots of hugs and kisses? :3:

Grey Skies
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

THE PENETRATOR posted:

[X] yes
[X] no

[X] maybe

your powers are useless here puppetmaster bitch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax
Follow up question for OP:

Am I allowed to free my raging erection during the mutilation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

yeah hello nine one one I just found my daughter in the basement sitting in a pentagram made out of the blood of the neighborhood animals with the body of the german sheppard still writhing on the ground and a kitchen knife stuck in it's head is this something I should worry about or is she too young to understand that she didn't draw the pentagram right?

Dark arts does not mean the same thing as good at art.

• Locked thread