Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Scarlet Hot Dog
Jan 18, 2005

Trust me, everything will be fine.
Hello,

About a year ago I left the videogame industry and partnered up with a friend to tackle a new form of making income, as a freelancer paid royalties per sale by a company for assets we created for their videogames.

While it started off as a relatively modest source of income, we've had some great luck on getting a lot of content in and our royalty rate has increased our income compared to respective years by about 400-500%. Considering all this income that's pouring in, and the current amount of tax I'm paying under self employment (About 30%, Texas) as we haven't incorporated-I was wondering if it would be a good next step.

Considering that we are only 2 people at the moment, I've heard that certain categories can create additional tax burden and hassle for a startup. I'm looking for any advice as to what category could provide a proper transition for a startup and potentially cut our taxes down as we continue to grow.

As of now it seems like an LLC and C class might be the best way to go, but I think the best advice could come from Goons who have actually gone the route rather than the dime a dozen 'business advice' websites I've been researching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Consultant your CPA/attorney about which would best fit your needs but it will probably be an LLC. You might go S-Corp later if your CPA/attorney advised it.

Unless you have outside investors, I really don't see any reason to go C-Corp.

• Locked thread