Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

First three had plenty of plot if you read all the text stuff.

Room "ambushes" work both ways, if I remember you can crouch and then unleash your grenade launcher into the piled enemies :getin:

Or gently caress, an elevator, previous games had elevators that didn't have ambushes and worked a lot better to make things have big "scale" then endless tunnel works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Wow. Just, wow. Autocannons are horribly loving broken apparently, you just melted the big bad bosses.

DFlux
Apr 25, 2008
I will say one thing though, as odd as the plot in the Armored Core series can get, the games all have some pretty good music. Like the Chief's final boss theme Stain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnvqcSKho5w

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Atlatl posted:

The 4A murder ending is wonderful and has the hypest final mission out of any AC game, especially on hard mode.

I A ranked or whatever every mission and their hard modes, except for that one. Jesus christ, but that's a ball breaker.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Atlatl posted:

The 4A murder ending is wonderful and has the hypest final mission out of any AC game, especially on hard mode.

Old King = best king

:stare:

That's not the usual opinion I hear about that level. What AC did you use for it?

EDIT: Okay I'll explain this.

In AC4A the Earth is polluted to all hell due to the use of Kojima particles in AC weaponry. The megacorps decided that WAS JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH SON and created NEXTs, which are ACs that use Kojima particle technology to its fullest extent enabling them to have better armor, weaponry and Offense Armor capability. Due to the pollution, the rich and some of the middle class escaped onto these giant floating habitation ships called the Cradles. These Cradles are supported by facilities on land called Arteria. People who didn't make it on the Cradles make do with what they can, since they live on a planet with a toxic atmosphere and ravaged by war thanks to the megacorp NEXTs and Arms Forts.

The Destruction path has your character join a dude named Old King and together you destroy a Cradle squadron and send them plummeting to Earth. Each Cradle has 20,000,000 people on it. You destroy 5. The Old King keeps count. Your Operator is so disgusted by this that she leaves her post when the mission starts. Having completed that, you are now locked into the Destruction ending and are greeted by the final mission.

That final mission is Occupation of Arteria Corpals. It's basically AC4A kaizo mode.

After an extremely vague briefing, you find yourself and the Old King in the facility. Then your now ex-Operator chimes in and says "Please accept my apologies, that briefing was fabricated. This is the end for you. I think you know why."

You are then attacked by four of the highest ranked members of Collared (The in-game NEXT pilot ranking system) at the same time. Each one has a NEXT equal to your own. One is a decent challenge, two would be a hard fight, three would be unfair. You have to fight four. If you play on Hard Mode, a fifth NEXT joins the fray; your ex-Operator Kasumi Sumika in her own custom NEXT.

I have only seen people beat that mission by cheesing the AI, getting it stuck on walls, and then fighting them one-on-one. It is hard as gently caress.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 30, 2014

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Unreal_One posted:

I A ranked or whatever every mission and their hard modes, except for that one. Jesus christ, but that's a ball breaker.

Oh, you mean you never got the Nineball emblem? :smug:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

SSNeoman posted:

Well conceptually that sounds absolutely glorious. If you're going to do a balls-out evil ending that's the way to do it.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

If you buy the highest power Kojima cannons you can instantly destroy 2 of the enemy NEXTs while they fly in, then you have two more shots to hit another and make it an even fight. That was my strategy for consistently beating Destruction of Carpals on Hard.

NightfallGemini
Dec 26, 2006
Carpals is probably one of if not the hardest stage I can think of in any of FROM's games, and that's including some of the gently caress-you stuff from Dark Souls 1 and 2.

By the way, I recall there being murmurings about AC5/VD being linked to ACfA in way more than just cameos. Is there any legitimacy to that claim or is it just speculation?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

NightfallGemini posted:

By the way, I recall there being murmurings about AC5/VD being linked to ACfA in way more than just cameos. Is there any legitimacy to that claim or is it just speculation?

Yes. Big time spoilers:

One mission in VD has ruins of a crash-landed Cradle. More significantly, the final boss is a cobbled-together White Glint that the antagonists reverse-engineered out of ruined technology

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

I'd really like to see you do AC4A Atlatl, from how far I got in it (not far) the armed fort fights are much more impressive looking than that single one that kept appearing in ACV and the Overedboost is just such a gloriously robot anime thing to put in a game about gloriously anime robots that I can't help but love it. Also, AC4A doesn't have the awful movie filter ACV has.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

SSNeoman posted:

AC4A final mission

Also this super appropriate track is playing during the entire time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-gwrseKSdY

The buildup at the start of the mission and the song match 100% perfectly.

Man, 4A was so good. What the heck happened with AC5?

edit:
Also AC: Project Phantasma, AC2, AC3: Silent Line and AC: Last Raven all have pretty coherent plots and happy endings where you character ultimately does a lot!
Unsurprisingly they're also some of the best ones!

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Oct 30, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I like how the main antagonist in AC2 is the player character from Master of Arena as a paranoid old man longing for the old times.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I think I liked AC2's plot the most, but only since it's more or less the least bleak. If only they'd stuck with the wild-west on mars with mechs theme, that could be developed into some really awesome stuff.

Was that some version of the Karasawa that Chief mk. 1 was holding?

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010

Atlatl posted:

I actually blocked out the subtitles there, unless I missed one and spoiled it. Not that it's much of a twist.
Right, I mean anyone playing the game themselves is going to get spoiled immediately. But there are only 9 story missions and there's no payoff for the twist anyways.

SSNeoman posted:

I have only seen people beat that mission by cheesing the AI, getting it stuck on walls, and then fighting them one-on-one. It is hard as gently caress.
How about a super-fast AC with two laser blades using the regulation (balance patch) that gives out infinite energy? AC4A was still a lot harder than AC4.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

:stare:

That's not the usual opinion I hear about that level. What AC did you use for it?

Yes, this is what I heard and I have to say that it is the most Baller loving Mecha poo poo I have heard in my entire life. gently caress protecting the rich and powerful, the bourgies, following retarded mecha logic. Just embrace murder and destruction, gently caress the 'blah blah justice, peace, friendship! [Proceeds to murder thoudsands]' brigade and then face the music and consequences knowing that history will never forget you, the greatest 'monster' mankind has ever brought forth.

That ending was what actually tempted me to get the game but the chance never came up. Goddamn tiny rear end island and its lame imports. Also the demo kicked my rear end because I kept trying to save poo poo and I am really enamored with energy swords.

edit: oh my god i watched the ending ahahahahahaahaha

chief is the best character because what incredibly dumb justification for not annihilating mankind, it's like someone programmed a robit to be as gloriously retarded as possibly, but with panache at least.

I know that if I was the AI I wouldn't have spared those people, jesus.

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 30, 2014

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
AC4A was what got me back into the armored core series. The speed and power of those mechs was amazing. I loved that game dearly.

Then I got ACV. Played it once, put it on my shelf and never touched it again. God damnit I want them to make another game with the NEXTS. They were the best mechs

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

There is a lot to lol at, but at the same time nothing makes sense and is weird. Good job Japan, I guess?

Well, at least we got a double autocannon party. I always was a fan of robits with retarded amounts of high caliber shells :allears:

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Fereydun posted:

Man, 4A was so good. What the heck happened with AC5?

All of AC5's fun is contained in its multiplayer, which you physically cannot play anymore.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
ACV was super fun with the servers up. Part of why I did this LP was so that nobody sees this game and is tempted to buy it for its singleplayer experience out of ignorance.

CONSIDER YOURSELVES WARNED

Positronic Spleen posted:

How about a super-fast AC with two laser blades using the regulation (balance patch) that gives out infinite energy? AC4A was still a lot harder than AC4.

ah yes, we could always go with an infinite energy blade warper build that moves so fast that the game's engine can't process it. that's not cheating at all

You can finish Arteria Carpals on Hard with almost any high mobility build with enough ammo to actually kill everyone, but it requires you to be really proficient with chaining QBs with quick turns and be able to 2nd stage consistently. I couldn't do it without the method Nanomashoes posted until I had been forced to get really good by playing multiplayer for awhile, and even then it would take a few tries.

Gonna try to get the 81-83 video done today and the zodiac video up over the weekend. I've got a big move coming up so I likely won't be doing another AC LP in the near future.

Atlatl fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 31, 2014

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010

Atlatl posted:

ah yes, we could always go with an infinite energy blade warper build that moves so fast that the game's engine can't process it. that's not cheating at all
Only online, because the developers are terrible at network coding. And because of the regulation my opponents in that mission had infinite energy too, it's not my problem if they didn't take advantage of it; enemy ACs in every game have plenty of totally unfair advantages anyways. There's also the matter of being unable to restart the story until that really hard mission was completed. I wouldn't use an AC like that in multiplayer though, that would just be mean, and I was pretty bad at it to begin with.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Well that went fast.

Update 11: Let's Get Sirius

pre:
Order 81-83: Beep Boop Kill All Robots
Assume that if the bonus fights aren't up by Sunday night then they won't be coming. I'm calling this done, as the last 4 Zodiacs add absolutely nothing to the game besides letting you unlock the giga missile. I tried making a video of the giga weapons in use, but you can't really make out what's happening behind all the alarms and warning signs that come up when you deploy them. Maybe check youtube to see what they do from someone else's perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Thanks for slogging through that on our behalf Atlatl. I hope FROM keeps making these but that they put more effort into the SP side of things again.

• Locked thread