Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp

Pillow Clerk posted:

plz don't effortshame :(

I'm take one out off arizonas playbook, and just rip the page out of the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008

d0s posted:

Does anyone remember how you bought video games at Sears back in the day? I have vague memories of a kiosk in the clothing department of all places with like NES games in a glass case, thinking back on it that was really weird since my Sears had clothes and poo poo on the second floor and electronics/tools/etc on the first floor, and the kiosk was definitely on the second floor in the middle of racks of clothes.

I for some reason remember this quite vividly for some bizarre reason. In my lovely (now closed) Sears the game display was located in the boy's clothing section. I wasn't interested in video games as a kid since my parents used computers as a babysitter instead of TV and were convinced that games somehow hosed up the computer but man, I remember being fascinated by the Gameboy demos.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The_Franz posted:

In the early days, most stores didn't exempt video games from their 30-day return policy, so you could buy whatever you wanted, take it home and beat it in 2 days or find out that it sucked, take it back and exchange it for a new one. The only catch was that back then most stores tracked returns by appending each transaction onto the original receipt, so you eventually wound up with a giant slip of paper that served as a chronicle of your return policy exploitation.

Heh, I remember taking advantage of that as well.

That, and the year when Blockbuster started renting PC games. Took them the year to realize why so many people were "renting" the games and then returning them a half hour later.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

comes along bort posted:

walmart in the us hasn't had greeters or baggers for close to twenty years now. they gave up on the creepy smiling onmipresent customer service thing ages ago, and it's pretty much the same disinterested staff every other store employs these days
Might be regional but in the couple times I've been to a walmart in the past half dozen years there's been a greeter and baggers. I prefer winco if I'm grocery shopping but once in a blue moon I'll be out with someone who insists on picking up whatever they need at walmart. I feel like people really overestimate the savings you get, the food is cheaper than a safeway but usually more expensive than like a winco or costco. The clothes and appliances/tools etc are usually so lovely you'd have been better off just paying a bit more in the first place so you didn't have to replace them so often.

I guess they're decent for bathroom/kitchen supplies and cleaning stuff.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

if you live somewhere in the US where most large stores don't require escalators I feel bad for you

because those escalators at target with the little side things for carrying the shopping cart up are rad

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

d0s posted:

if you live somewhere in the US where most large stores don't require escalators I feel bad for you

because those escalators at target with the little side things for carrying the shopping cart up are rad

this seems like a really bad idea because no matter how much signage you put up, some dumbass is gonna die fuckin around in the shopping cart well and your store is gonna get shut down

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

The White Dragon posted:

this seems like a really bad idea because no matter how much signage you put up, some dumbass is gonna die fuckin around in the shopping cart well and your store is gonna get shut down
Kid riding on bottom of cart and inattentive parent.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

ArbitraryC posted:

Kid riding on bottom of cart and inattentive parent.

Senior riding a rascal up one and inattentive adult child.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

wow the crazy fort lauderdale publix with flat escalators is on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auL1oLDPxbI

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

d0s posted:

Human conveyor belt is cool af

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
A K-Mart near us had their "going out of business, everything must go" sale. We'd never shopped there to begin with but decided to see what they were getting rid of since when the local Borders book store closed down and sold all their fixtures we got their really nice, barely used stock room shop vac for $10. When we bought our house, someone jacked up our mailbox by bonking into it and bending it so the door wouldn't close all the way, so we got a new mailbox for $3, plus some heavily discounted animal food and cat litter. When we opened the food, it was infested with some kind of bug larva who found their way into the bag, so we called the company (don't remember which brand it was, but it was one of the big name brands), rattled off the info over the phone, and within a week they had sent coupon packets for free bags of food to replace the others- except the coupons were up to $20 bags and we had spent like $4. So we went to Target and got a couple months worth of dog food for free. Thanks K-Mart!

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Go to Walmart on the 1st of every month to see all the registers staffed and long lines full of food stamps

Wal mart usually sells popcorn in the parking lot on the 1st, like they know I'm going there to watch the poors.

Also just watched a pbs nova on walmart and the most memorable moment was some old lady talking about how she wants to have her social security check direct deposited to walmart.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

d0s posted:

Are flat escalators some kind of revolutionary concept in America?
How else are you gonna get your shopping cart up/down a level :confused:

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

sauer kraut posted:

Most big stores in the US are sprawling single-floor complexes. You only really encounter escalators in clothing stores, and typically you don't need carts there.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

We used to have a sloped escalator in a Zellers near where I used to live. Every once in a while you'd see an old lady lose control of her cart. Walmart took it over for a few years and then close the location down.

As far as Target in Canada was concerned. There were people who were interested in Target but what happened was that they couldn't get enough product for their shelves for when they opened. There were whole shelves with the same product all along it and selection was poor. I even tried to buy some Q-tips there since I felt I needed to buy at least something. There were no Q-tips, not even off-brand ones despite the labels being there.

If you visit a Target today, it's like a ghost town. Even stuff I could get at Wal-mart like american/canadian made towels and stuff isn't there. Also the prices are about 15% higher for most things.

We also have Sears here. I feel like I'm visiting a dying business every time I go in there. Lighting is sporadic, the place hasn't been updated since '88 or so and the place just feels depressing. The overall layout concept hasn't changed since I was a kid and sometimes it looks like the stock hasn't either.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

sauer kraut posted:

The reason we don't have greeters/packboys is because those jobs are loving degrading and we would feel bad about seeing them suffer, not really something you want in a shopping environment.
Same for 'corporate culture' and team building sessions and false smiling. You notice that fake poo poo immediately and never go there again.

Hope I'm not the only one reading this in a heavy german accent.

comes along bort posted:

there's individual cities/counties in the us that ban plastic bags or pass an ordinance charging a few cents to use them, but then the plastic bag manufacturers get wind of it and write a bill for the state legislature to pass which bans the practice and forces stores to use only plastic bags again

I remember back in the mid-late 90s there was a grocery store in my neighborhood that charged 3 cents for paper bags. This caused some people to abandon their entire grocery shopping order at the checkout.

raditts fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 2, 2014

Steampunk iPhone
Sep 2, 2009

by XyloJW

Tarkus posted:

We used to have a sloped escalator in a Zellers near where I used to live. Every once in a while you'd see an old lady lose control of her cart. Walmart took it over for a few years and then close the location down.

As far as Target in Canada was concerned. There were people who were interested in Target but what happened was that they couldn't get enough product for their shelves for when they opened. There were whole shelves with the same product all along it and selection was poor. I even tried to buy some Q-tips there since I felt I needed to buy at least something. There were no Q-tips, not even off-brand ones despite the labels being there.

If you visit a Target today, it's like a ghost town. Even stuff I could get at Wal-mart like american/canadian made towels and stuff isn't there. Also the prices are about 15% higher for most things.

We also have Sears here. I feel like I'm visiting a dying business every time I go in there. Lighting is sporadic, the place hasn't been updated since '88 or so and the place just feels depressing. The overall layout concept hasn't changed since I was a kid and sometimes it looks like the stock hasn't either.

i live in canada and the sears near me is a fairly nice department store for middle class housewives or whatever... i never knew it was supposed to be lovely

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Steampunk iPhone posted:

i live in canada and the sears near me is a fairly nice department store for middle class housewives or whatever... i never knew it was supposed to be lovely

I worked for Sears two years, and yeah you could obviously see it crumbling from the inside. Our flagship store downtown shut down because it was too expensive for them to maintain and that cut out an entire city of business. I remember going in there and whole floors were shut and unused, it was amazing creepy.

They're going to go the way of Eaton's, which is ironic, considering Sears bought the old loving locations.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
It's funny when I see people mention Targets being abandoned, because around here (NC), Targets are the bee's loving knees and are all busy and all the Wal-Marts are shitholes.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

sauer kraut posted:

:911:

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

RabbitWizard posted:

Like hiring a person to say hello. You're not a 5-star hotel, you're a loving discounter. Act like one.

Pro tip: they're not there to greet you, they're there for loss prevention. When an employee acknowledges you in the store, you're much less likely to shoplift.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It's like every single non-American on the internet is in a footrace to mention 1) Wow the US is loving weird!!!! Uh, they poo poo in toilets???? 2) In my country that'd never happen!!!!

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

madeupfred posted:

It's like every single non-American on the internet is in a footrace to mention 1) Wow the US is loving weird!!!! Uh, they poo poo in toilets???? 2) In my country that'd never happen!!!!

Yes, because Americans are always so quiet about their differences from everyone else.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Tarkus posted:

Yes, because Americans are always so quiet about their differences from everyone else.

Sixteen posts ago:

Tarkus posted:

As a Canadian, I'm curious. Does the states use debit cards much? I've heard it's still not used in a lot of places.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I've heard you Americans use pointed sticks and heavy rocks to hunt animals, is that true? Over here in Finland we've been chasing animals off of cliffs or into large bodies of water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

lol shut up nerds.

• Locked thread