Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
Problem description: Analog mic is practically inaudible on new build with Asus motherboard, even with mic boost and volume maxed out.

Attempted fixes: Fresh Win8.1 install, Asus realtek drivers, Vanilla realtek drivers, Windows included drivers, BIOS update. Tried front and back ports. There is a setting in the Realtek control panel to control each input separately, which didn't help either.

Recent changes: I just rebuilt with a new motherboard, CPU, and RAM. All other components were from my previous machine, which were all in working order.

--

Operating system: Windows 8.1 x64

System specs: New Parts - i5 4690k, Asus Z97-Pro, 8gb DDR3 1600 GSkill. Parts from previous build - Cheap, but working Logitech tabletop boom mic, Antec Green 650W, EVGA GTX 760, 240gb Intel 530 SSD, 2 regular HDs

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Just finished a new build, was really enjoying it... then I got on Skype for gamez and my friends got mad because they couldn't hear me. The usual mic boost and volume tinkering didn't help; googled around and found lots of people having similar issues with other Z97 Asus motherboards (but not my exact model). Basically, the mic won't pick up anything unless it's practically in your mouth. Normally this mic is buried under a mountain of poo poo on my desk and still works fine, without the boost maxed out.

Are there any troubleshooting steps I missed? It would suck to have to RMA and rebuild again, especially since people were talking about RMAing 3-4 times, all having the same problem. Plus it's weird that it still works a little bit, if it's truly defective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

If you're certain every physical connection you've got is secure and you've got proper drivers, it might be time to think RMA. Or one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Adapter-Windows-AU-MMSA/dp/B00IRVQ0F8/ref=zg_bs_3015427011_1/180-4419673-9918659

It would help if we knew the model or hardware ID of it, maybe? What does it show up as in Device Manager? Or failing that, can you get the hardware ID from the Properties dialog? Line-in audio is weird about this kind of thing.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
The onboard audio chip is a Realtek ALC1150

I got it working slightly better using a random driver I found on some spanish driver repository website, so I probably won't RMA. The bent pin fiasco has kind of spooked me out of RMAing it unless absolutely necessary.

I was thinking about those USB sound cards, but none of them ever advertise if their drivers support echo cancellation. That's kind of a dealbreaker, because I really don't like headphones.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
Bump. I RMA'd the board and have the same problem with the new one. Any more ideas? Do I need a "high impedance mic" or something? Right now I have an analog Logitech Desktop Mic 600. It works fine with my old onboard sound, which is also Realtek.

Should I RMA for a third board or just try to get my money back?

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
Final update:

I caved and bought a Sound Blaster Z. However, the included mic works great with my onboard audio. :facepalm:

My old mic isn't broken, but seems to be incompatible. I was going to take back the SB and find a replacement mic, but I'm not sure how to find a compatible one. I think the impedance might have something to do with it. The old mic is 2k ohm, and the ASUS compatibility list shows 2 headset models that are 50-100ohm. Unfortunately, it seems like everyone stopped making microphones and I can't find anything that's not USB or a headset.

Can anyone recommend a microphone? Perhaps something you've used successfully on an ASUS Z97 motherboard?

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

It isn't much more expensive, maybe ten dollars more, to get a USB mic and sidestep all of that entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
I need echo cancellation though since I can't really wear headphones for extended periods.

It looks like I'm stuck keeping the soundcard just for the included microphone :\

• Locked thread