Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

babypolis posted:

pri got more money because our hosed up campaign laws dictatce that the amount given is proportional to the number of senators you have. and everyone does the vote buying thing.

epn just had the perfect combination of handsome and trusworthy looking, and an increidble effective media campaign, as well as the backing of the largest media corporation in mexico

Actually Televisa is always behind the winners. I recall that when Calderon was on, they even hired popular artists to say how awesome he was and how prd was a danger to the nation or something like that. I laughed when i saw chespirito praising the pan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

man that sounds loving grim. why do people vote for the PRI outside of incentives anyway haven't they had decades and decades to stop loving everything up

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Fandyien posted:

man that sounds loving grim. why do people vote for the PRI outside of incentives anyway haven't they had decades and decades to stop loving everything up

lots of people believe that they know how to get things done. even if they are corrupt as hell they assume every party is just as corrupt and at least with the pri in power poo poo gets done

Desperado Bones posted:

Actually Televisa is always behind the winners. I recall that when Calderon was on, they even hired popular artists to say how awesome he was and how prd was a danger to the nation or something like that. I laughed when i saw chespirito praising the pan.

reminds me of a story of how the president of televisa invited all the presidential candidates to a ranch and then proceeded to kill a chicken in front of them as a metaphor to show them what happens to anyone that messes with televisa. dont know how true it is but sounds plausible to me

babypolis fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 21, 2014

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

babypolis posted:

lots of people believe that they know how to get things done. even if they are corrupt as hell they assume every party is just as corrupt and at least with the pri in power poo poo gets done

reminds me of a story of how the president of televisa invited all the presidential candidates to a ranch and then proceeded to kill a chicken in front of them as a metaphor to show them what happens to anyone that messes with televisa. dont know how true it is but sounds plausible to me

we live in the country where a dude gets beheaded via chainsaw, so anything is possible.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

babypolis posted:

Weird, I don't remember that and I've read Nación TV.

It's a pretty good book, by the way.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

GORILLA BASTARD posted:

These brown people got no oil. So gently caress em?

Simply put, if we sought to defeat the cartels, inevitably the solution would be to starve them economicaly i.e. end the war on drugs. We are not willing to do that, so we persist.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

babypolis posted:

i dont get why everyone is trying to disown the dudes that set fire to the palace, even if they were goverment plants peaceful protests aint doing poo poo, setting fire to things is both cool and good

Because setting poo poo on fire is kind of chickenshit and passe in a country where folks regularly get skinned alive and you generally measure atrocities by the number of mass graves you find. Like a single mass grave is probably just an 'eh' event, but when you start getting into the double digits in the number of mass graves turned up, *then* some serious poo poo went down.

But a fire that doesn't have a death toll in the triple digits? No, that doesn't even rate.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

babypolis posted:

pri got more money because our hosed up campaign laws dictatce that the amount given is proportional to the number of senators you have. and everyone does the vote buying thing.

epn just had the perfect combination of handsome and trusworthy looking, and an increidble effective media campaign, as well as the backing of the largest media corporation in mexico

haha so wait you are saying that parties are given financial incentive to hold onto power by any means necessary?

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Simply put, if we sought to defeat the cartels, inevitably the solution would be to starve them economicaly i.e. end the war on drugs. We are not willing to do that, so we persist.

Also haven't the cartels completely diversified to the point where they are literally in every business imaginable?

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 21, 2014

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Lawman 0 posted:

Also haven't the cartels completely diversified to the point where they are literally in every business imaginable?

In the sense that they control huge blocks of Mexico and essentially rules as feudal lords, sure, but they made their fortunes off drug money--cutting off that source of that revenue would have to at least do SOME damage.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i dont think any other business, legal or otherwise, comes even close to the profit margins of drug trafficking

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

In the sense that they control huge blocks of Mexico and essentially rules as feudal lords, sure, but they made their fortunes off drug money--cutting off that source of that revenue would have to at least do SOME damage.

I mean yeah but I know a whole lot of people who think if we just legalized:420: then the drug war would just magically end immediately.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

when marijuana is legalized in most of the country cartels will lose some money but they'll survive. theyve already started shifting from weed to heroin. the rest of the war on drugs isn't going away.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
If you stopped the war on drugs and legalised weed lmao if you don't know the cartels would just immediately rape, torture and execute every legitimate business owner that tried to set up a shop. Even big corporations aren't immune because lol what the gently caress are you going to do? Take Loz Zetas to court for property damage and murder? They're there to stay until somebody else muscles them out.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

when marijuana is legalized in most of the country cartels will lose some money but they'll survive. theyve already started shifting from weed to heroin. the rest of the war on drugs isn't going away.

legalize EVERYTHING. Isn't like the whole world will instantly become an addict if it happens.

i think they actually make more money from coke or poo poo like that.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Desperado Bones posted:

legalize EVERYTHING. Isn't like the whole world will instantly become an addict if it happens.

i think they actually make more money from coke or poo poo like that.

its a political impossibility. marijuana is the only major drug thats going to be legalized for the next 30 years.

Oberleutnant posted:

If you stopped the war on drugs and legalised weed lmao if you don't know the cartels would just immediately rape, torture and execute every legitimate business owner that tried to set up a shop. Even big corporations aren't immune because lol what the gently caress are you going to do? Take Loz Zetas to court for property damage and murder? They're there to stay until somebody else muscles them out.

yeah im honestly surprised there hasn't been some poo poo like this in colorado already. you will probably see this once california legalizes totally and it becomes a major threat to cartel profit.

Sheng-Ji Yang fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Nov 21, 2014

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

its a political impossibility. marijuana is the only major drug thats going to be legalized for the next 30 years.

I was going to say,then make a better rehabilitation programs but then I remembered that the cartels have attacked and killed reformed drug addicts groups before.

Oh welp.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

In other less hosed up news, we had our first mexican burning man!

Edit:
It was a fun time for the whole family!

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 21, 2014

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
no manches, DB, muéstranos más fotos del protesto si puedes

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

It's too late for this. Not that we shouldn't do this, but these huge wealthy organizations with substantial militias exist now, and if we cut off one source of funding, they'll find another. They've already started switching from weed to heroin because the former is made domestically in the US, but demand for the latter has risen from people that get addicted to Oxycontin and such then can't afford the pills anymore. Legalization of stuff will weaken but not destroy them.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

gently caress da Mods posted:

no manches, DB, muéstranos más fotos del protesto si puedes

I'm fishing them from facebook and twitter and random sites:

We really don't like the president

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZY2W0fEXFs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbl_2LAcjRE

There are rumors again of people being sent to make disturbances or whatever you can call it.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

how badly has the PRD been hosed because the mayor who orchestrated this was PRD?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

how badly has the PRD been hosed because the mayor who orchestrated this was PRD?

Very much.

I'm a perredista and is like the biggest disappointment ever. I guess we all should vote for that funny fascist party next time, right? :/

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

so PAN are going to be the ones who benefit from this? ugh

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
we should combine mexico and america, under american government, for the next 99 years

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
would mexico welcome a us occupation lol

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

yeah im honestly surprised there hasn't been some poo poo like this in colorado already. you will probably see this once california legalizes totally and it becomes a major threat to cartel profit.

this will never happen in america because the political and governing climate does not permit cartels to operate actively. there's a reason why el paso is one of the safest places in the country despite being in viewshot of juarez, and thats because it has the interesting attribute of "not being mexico."

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

also it helps when you give the police a decent salary so not every single one of them will be extremely corrupt in order to properly take care of his family

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
actually i think it's cuz the land is cursed

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Zzulu posted:

good
:spain:

Baby the Birdman
Jul 14, 2005

Every real nigga fuck they main girl in the ass.

Zzulu posted:

Mexico City is founded above an ancient indian cemetery.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

no it's a pet cemetary

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

That's one amazing Peña Nieto piñata (Peñata?).

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

fyodor posted:

no it's a pet cemetary

No an ancient Aztec pet cemetery

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

¡Fue su culpa! :argh:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

so PAN are going to be the ones who benefit from this? ugh

Yep. PRD are fully discredited and may as well disband.

PRI are widely disliked, but they are seen as the only one's currently who will get things done, that was what Serious People said about Mexico before the 43 missing, now most likely PAN are the ones to benefit, but Televisa may not give a gently caress and still go full bore for the PRI.

Zombie Chow
Jun 17, 2010

We interrupt this program to increase dramatic tension.
I think it's important to notice that, whatever is left of the PRD, are doing their best to discredit the federal government, even though the whole Ayotzinapa thing had nothing to do with Peña directly.

At Facebook and on the demonstrations, some people and groups are calling it 'a crime by the state', the President of the PRD is calling for Peña to resign and so on. It irks me on some level because a lot of people believe the PRD can do no wrong :argh:

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Desperado Bones posted:

In other less hosed up news, we had our first mexican burning man!

Edit:
It was a fun time for the whole family!

are riot police in every country just sourced from one mad scientist breeding lab or something, because they universly, without fail, seem to really despise ordinary people.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

opus111 posted:

are riot police in every country just sourced from one mad scientist breeding lab or something, because they universly, without fail, seem to really despise ordinary people.

what else do you expect from job that has being Ok with hitting grandma with a riot baton?

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

opus111 posted:

yes his name is yakub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5LunLs9NEU

Welp.
We all know old people and paper are dangerous.

• Locked thread