Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rossilius
Oct 19, 2007
Problem description: Please bear with me; I am not proficient with network connectivity, WiFi configuration, etc. I just (about an hour ago) unboxed and set up a new Lenovo Y50 -- see below for specs. While I had no trouble getting online -- I'm posting this from the machine in question -- I am getting abysmal download speeds (generally varying from 3 Mbps to 12 Mbps). My ISP is Comcast, from whom I'm renting a Technicolor TC8305C modem. That modem is pumping out download speeds in the neighborhood of 40 to 45 Mbps to my other wireless devices, which leads me to believe this is a computer problem rather than a modem problem.

Attempted fixes: I've verified that my wireless adapter driver is up-to-date, and I took a shot in the dark and called both Comcast and Lenovo. Tech support people at both companies passed the buck, with Comcast telling me it was a computer problem and Lenovo telling me to call Comcast. I could have escalated things with Lenovo by opening a paid software phone support ticket, but I'm trying to avoid that if at all possible.

Recent changes: This is a brand-new machine, fresh out of the box, in its stock configuration (see below). I've made no changes.

Operating system: Windows 8.1, 64-bit

System specs: Lenovo Y50-70 (http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y50-uhd/). Intel i7-47 10HQ 2.5GHz. 16 GB RAM. Hybrid drive (1TB HDD + 8GB SSD). Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 network card. Technicolor TC8305C modem (via Comcast).

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

If anybody would be willing to walk me through this, I would be forever in your debt. I feel like an idiot for not knowing how to figure this out on my own, but it is what it is.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rossilius fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Rossilius posted:

That modem is pumping out decent download speeds, in the neighborhood of 40 to 45 Mbps, to my other wireless devices, which leads me to believe this is a computer problem rather than a modem problem.

The easiest way to tell if it's your laptop or some issue with the laptop+wireless gateway in tandem would be to connect the laptop to another wireless network and see if it's also slow on it. If it is then it's a laptop issue if the speeds are good then it's some issue with the Comcast gateway. Sometimes those gateways can have issues and a replacement may be necessary (some would recommend setting your gateway so that you could use your own wireless router behind it).

You could also run this program and post some screenshots of what it displays:
http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

• Locked thread