Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Lichy posted:

I think what he meant to point out is that there is only a single copy of an organism modified typically so you end up with a field of clones that is not at all representative of the natural population and therefore is susceptible to disease purely due to lack of variation

e. g. a farmer growing natural wheat who has a rust outbreak is still likely to harvest a percentage of his field successfully because that will be naturally resistance to it and will be able to cultivate it, while a GMO farmer will likely have the entire field wiped out and will go bankrupt

True, although pretty much all the modern hybrids you can get are gonna have very little variation so there's the risk you'll get wiped out by the corn plague or whatever. Fortunately that's quite rare since they're all bred to be as disease resistant and hardy as possible. Anything that'll wipe them out will probably just as easily wipe out most or all other varieties.

In fact GMOs are probably going to be less disease resistant just because it takes 5-7 years to back cross a newly inserted gene into the newest line, by which time there will be an improved new line that will be hardier and higher yielding. http://passel.unl.edu/pages/animation.php?a=BXbreed.swf&b=990818773

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

ghetto wormhole posted:

True, although pretty much all the modern hybrids you can get are gonna have very little variation so there's the risk you'll get wiped out by the corn plague or whatever. Fortunately that's quite rare since they're all bred to be as disease resistant and hardy as possible. Anything that'll wipe them out will probably just as easily wipe out an heirloom variety.

In fact GMOs are probably going to be less disease resistant just because it takes 5-7 years to back cross a newly inserted gene into the newest line, by which time there will be an improved new line that will be hardier and higher yielding. http://passel.unl.edu/pages/animation.php?a=BXbreed.swf&b=990818773

it's not something that's as important on a field-by-field basis, but the potato blight, for example, is/was so devastating because 99% of commercial potatoes outside the andes are solanum tuberosum tuberosum varieties. thankfully, they've started crossing wild potatoes back in to help with the blight

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Effectronica posted:

and i was talking about nutrient depletion and the necessity of massive fertilization in modern agriculture. it's a necessary evil at the moment, but it is something that should be a real worry for people concerned about the future.

oh duh, I thought you meant erosion when you said depletion. yeah that's a big issue that can really only be solved by better practices. reducing erosion is a very important part of it though!

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Ocean Book posted:

what about them is worse?

To start most of what they claim makes monsanto "evil" is flat out made up. And additionally sowing distrust of gmos that can prevent people from losing their livelihoods to one bad season or literally dying from starvation is kind of bad too.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

That's a couple of ugly fuckin' cats.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

To start most of what they claim makes monsanto "evil" is flat out made up. And additionally sowing distrust of gmos that can prevent people from losing their livelihoods to one bad season or literally dying from starvation is kind of bad too.

No one ever listens to the opinions of other people anyway unless they already agreed beforehand so dont worry about it

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

So all those farmers suiciding due to not being able to pay Monsanto were actually just killing themselves in freak accidents?

http://freedomoutpost.com/2013/06/5-million-farmers-locked-in-lawsuit-against-monsanto/

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Don Tacorleone posted:

So all those farmers suiciding due to not being able to pay Monsanto were actually just killing themselves in freak accidents?

http://freedomoutpost.com/2013/06/5-million-farmers-locked-in-lawsuit-against-monsanto/

you just cited a website called freedom outpost unironically.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Don Tacorleone posted:

lol Tim Brown is an author and Editor at FreedomOutpost.com, husband to his wife, father of 10, jack of all trades, Christian and lover of liberty. He resides in the U.S. occupied Great State of South Carolina. Tim is also an affiliate for the brand new Joshua Mark 5 AR/AK hybrid semi-automatic rifle. Follow Tim on Twitter.
View all posts by Tim Brown →

Read more at http://freedomoutpost.com/2013/06/5-million-farmers-locked-in-lawsuit-against-monsanto/#mEY2T7hJB4wQ7Xu2.99

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

BigBoss posted:

you just cited a website called freedom outpost unironically.

yeah but clearly he's right

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

The Droid posted:

Dow Chemical just made Agent Orange resistant corn that is named Enlist so I think that's got everyone's attention atm.

drat what a name, how do those boys in marketing do it

and yeah other people have said it but Monsanto is an rear end in a top hat company but NOT because of spooky genetically modified crops

it's basically on the level of some infowars.com poo poo

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Monkey Fracas posted:

drat what a name, how do those boys in marketing do it

and yeah other people have said it but Monsanto is an rear end in a top hat company but NOT because of spooky genetically modified crops

it's basically on the level of some infowars.com poo poo

I believe you're overlooking an important point: Monsanto makes food and people need food to live. I don't think that's been said enough in this thread yet that Monsanto is curing famine once and for all with their radical strategy of 'grow our crops'.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
Monsanto is a corporation, and so it's evil, of course. The concept GMOs in itself, I'm OK with. Most of the arguments made against them sound like anti-science horseshit.

And Neil deGrasse Tyson knows it.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danthropology/2014/08/neil-degrasse-tyson-on-liberal-science-denial-and-gmos/

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Lawman 0 posted:

yeah pretty much this

Lawman 0 posted:

gmos are cool and good though

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
monsantos water speculation stuff is several orders of magnitude worse than any half baked gmo horror scenarios, imo. but theyre hardly unique in doing that i guess so hooray.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Suicide Sam E. posted:

They don't shut up and keep perpetuating memes would be my guess.
dude being in a thread arguing with people and then crying that they dont shut up is some gbs 1.0 style bitchtalk
dont do that so i can continue to enjoy your posts

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
did you guys know that d.r. peter dishi of johns hopins penned an article for the BRITISH MEDICAL JOURNAL saying the flu vac is whack?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

the issue isn't gmos being evil (unless youre an idiot) its loving over hundreds of millions of third world farmers

I don't like this. How do they make this happen?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Don Tacorleone posted:

On the other hand

http://www.cmist.manchester.ac.uk/medialibrary/archive-publications/working-papers/2014/2014-04-Suicides_WP_d1.pdf

(bt cotton was introduced in India in 2002, and by 2012 represented 90% of cotton grown there)

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
hi what is monsanto for those of us in the first world tia

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Motherfucker posted:

hi what is monsanto for those of us in the first world tia
It makes a lot of pretty popular seeds that farmers buy.

paranoid randroid posted:

monsantos water speculation stuff
???

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 24, 2014

RecoomesSexyRear
Jul 18, 2003

I work down the street from their corporate hq and it looks like a really nice place to work. They have tons of people working there and it never screws up traffic in the mornings/afternoons so more power to them.

naem
May 29, 2011

Gmos may or may not have good/bad points, I won't pretend to know,

But they're DEFINITELY spooky

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

echronorian posted:

pls tell me about the new leftwing boogeyman since y2k and mayan doomsday were both a shitshow thanks

I made a thread to figure this out last year, and my conclusion was "white folks need something to be afraid of".

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3556746

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
It's the left wing equivalent of stem cells and you should all be ashamed you turds

• Locked thread