Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
That was a pretty sweet combination regardless of legality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOMELORD420
Dec 28, 2000

Tezcatlipoca posted:

That was a pretty sweet combination regardless of legality.

that's absolutely true.

has this press conference started yet? I'm sleepy over here.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Mavis Beacon Boi posted:

that's absolutely true.

has this press conference started yet? I'm sleepy over here.

Came and went

DOMELORD420
Dec 28, 2000

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Came and went

gently caress

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Charles Gnarwin posted:

One thing that impressed me about both fighters was their recovery. Name another person who has survived being rocked by Aldo, let alone multiple times in a fight. Chad started the second round like nothing happened. On the other side, we've learned since the first fight that Mendes hits like a truck, yet Aldo survived multiple wobblings.

Mark freaking Hominick. That's who.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

MagicCube posted:

Mark freaking Hominick. That's who.

Based on his fights since then I'd say he was just on a delay.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bubba Smith posted:

people are going to be on the internet arguing about it for years.

let's not pretend that those two aren't either.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Just watched this. Chad Mendes is blessed with some great athletic gifts which is good for him because as a fighter I think he is dumb as rocks. He started out every round with a bit of success with some confusing movement, and though it was kind of spazzy it worked all right in combination with kicks and changing up angles. Then he stopped moving after 2 minutes in every round and then got tagged up in the exchanges. I didn't have him really winning any rounds but I guess 4 was close enough?

Frankie Edgar needs to get more punching power somehow because he did waaaaaaaaay better in his fight and didn't get knocked retarded several times.

Also, lol at Phil Davis looking for a money fight against Anderson Silva.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
Maybe it was because I was incredibly stoned on pain pills and dabs but I remember in the main event the buzzer "click clack" at 10 seconds not happening for several rounds. It may have been why he didn't think the round ended. I would go back and watch it but I don't have the fight to watch again maybe I am crazy. I kind of seem to remember the click clack not happening in a lot of fights although I was listening for it.

Either way that was a straight up knock out any ref would have stopped. Chad is pretty strong. Good fight. I am surprised Conor didn't come out and say "both of you losers couldn't finish a bowl of luck charms" and then flash his gold teeth.

Honestly, a gif of Fabio Maldonado forever punching in the face would be the best avatar on this forum.

#zipzap

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Meowbot posted:

Maybe it was because I was incredibly stoned on pain pills and dabs but I remember in the main event the buzzer "click clack" at 10 seconds not happening for several rounds. It may have been why he didn't think the round ended. I would go back and watch it but I don't have the fight to watch again maybe I am crazy. I kind of seem to remember the click clack not happening in a lot of fights although I was listening for it.

Dana White and the ref of that fight Marc Goddard said they couldn't hear the ten second warning either.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Meowbot posted:

Either way that was a straight up knock out any ref would have stopped. Chad is pretty strong. Good fight. I am surprised Conor didn't come out and say "both of you losers couldn't finish a bowl of luck charms" and then flash his gold teeth.

Pretty sure we don't have Lucky Charms over in the UK.
Or the Ireland he's from.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
that was a cool fight, and glover/davis was really funny

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

david carmichael posted:

Glover finishing out the last round just sort of shrugging at his corner, perplexed, while Phil sits on his back and gently punches him in the face repeatedly will be my enduring memory of that fight. It really encapsulates the Phil Davis ethos.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

david carmichael posted:

It was funny when Glover jumped guard for a guillotine and immediately slipped off.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

-Atom- posted:

Dana White and the ref of that fight Marc Goddard said they couldn't hear the ten second warning either.

I just rewatched it and either they didnt do the warning or the crowd was way louder than it, because I couldn't hear poo poo on the broadcast.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Just saw the event. Had its highs, had some pretty boring fights.

Beneil Dariush is a good fighter, and like a mini-Mousasi. He dodged almost every punch thrown at him, though Goldie and Stann didn't seem to notice.

Phil Davis won a boring fight, that isn't too shocking. Glover just looked confused. Its a bit of a shame that either of these men were listed as legitimate challenges to Jon Jones.

The main event was a hoot. Mendes moved well (trying to emulate Dillishaw of course, doing like a 20% job of it) and landed a lot of nice blows against Aldo. But Aldo landed more, and Aldo landed like 3 times as hard. Even on the punches that whiffed (and there were a bunch, both guys were moving their heads and bodies quite a bit) Aldo was clearly throwing very hard, which I think made Mendes gun-shy in the later rounds. Mendes simply couldn't use his wrestling to make up for it, Aldo has some of the best take-down defense in the sport. Quality fight, despite the cheating.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Lloyd Boner posted:

To be fair Aldo is no Barao

No.

Another year posted:

I think it's more that Barao is no Aldo

Yes. Aldo is a lot better.

Lloyd Boner posted:

This fight reminds me of Hendricks-Lawler

Its cause they spent minutes at a time sitting well inside jab range. They didn't do as much fighting as Hendricks-Lawler or Wiedman-Machida, though Mendes was attempting it. Two guys fighting technically in the pocket for whole rounds is usually pretty neat.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Last post I swear: anyone know what flag Dariush held up after his fight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Count Roland posted:

Last post I swear: anyone know what flag Dariush held up after his fight?

I think that's the Assyrian flag? Dude's part Assyrian.

• Locked thread