Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

I have been a dumb poo poo and managed to create a big problem that I cannot solve.

Problem description: I have an old laptop that I'm cleaning up to Ebay it for beer money. It came with Windows 7 starter and about two years ago I put a partition on the main hard drive to dick around with Fedora as I was frustrated with W7starter. In the end I stuck with W7s because all the programs I needed for university would run on that but not on Linux. I kept the linux partition because it was just there and not doing anything - I never filled up the hard drive enough to have to bother with removing the partition.

I got a new laptop recently and so this one is being ebayed. I restored the factory install of W7s, and used the Disk Management tool in W7 to remove the linux partitions in a heavy handed way of removing the fedora install + partitions. I done hosed up because when I restarted, GRUB now tries to look for a linux install that isnt there anymore, and instead gives me a prompt:

code:

GRUB loading.
Welcome to GRUB!

error: no such partition.
Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue> _

I cant boot into Windows, the Linux install no longer exists so now I'm stuck at this screen.

Attempted fixes: I have tried to google for methods to remove GRUB and restore the normal boot sequence, but all the methods I've found so far rely on having a Windows 7 CD and a CD drive to restore the MBR - the netbook doesnt have a CD drive and I dont have a Win 7 CD anyway.

Recent changes: As above.

Operating system: Windows 7 Starter.

System specs: HP Mini 210 netbook, with non-stock 2GB ram chip in it.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

In the W7 installation, navigate around until you find advanced settings. There you can format and remove paritions.

Remove every single parition, format the one remaining and create a new, large one out of that. It should do the trick. If not...I don't know, it sounds pretty strange.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

No, I cannot even do that. Now all I can do after pressing the on button is watch the following on a black screen:

code:

GRUB LOADING........

*wait three seconds*

Welcome to GRUB!

Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue> _ 
Thats it. Thats all my laptop does at present. No windows loading screen, just a black screen with the above text.

I need some way of restoring the original boot sequence, but it can only happen on USB drive because the laptop itself doesnt have a CD drive.

Zarc
Jul 25, 2014
I found this on youtube. It might work for you. Provided it does, you'll need to repair the MBR to remove grub

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1QpN9IWSoc

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Zarc posted:

I found this on youtube. It might work for you. Provided it does, you'll need to repair the MBR to remove grub

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1QpN9IWSoc

Thanks for trying, this didnt work either:

code:
GRUB LOADING........

*wait three seconds*

Welcome to GRUB!

Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue> set boot=(hd0,msdos6)
grub rescue> set prefix=(hd0,msdos6)/boot/grub
grub rescue> insmod normal
error:no such partition
grub rescue> _

Zarc
Jul 25, 2014
Found some more info that may help. The wrong partition may be set active

https://neosmart.net/wiki/no-such-partition-grub-rescue/?PageSpeed=noscript

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Get yourself a linux live CD, boot that poo poo up and then use cfdisk to completely delete and format every partition of every HDD on your system. If you need help with that, I can provide you with some more indepth step-for-step stuff.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Thanks for the suggestions - I managed to make an image of a Win 7 install disc on my USB drive and after some bios fuckery to make it boot from USB first instead of HD I was able to fix the MBR like a charm.

I then stuck it on Ebay without doing much research and seem to have near-instantly sold it for 2/3rds of the average selling price. Welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Glad it worked out after all.

• Locked thread