Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
materialism brings no joy to most who put stock in it and also is as axiomatic a belief as believing there is a god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Cardiovorax posted:

Will you ever stop pretending like there isn't a standard philosophical vocabulary and that we need to define every term we use as if everybody didn't already know exactly what it means? Just curious.
will you ever realize that philosophical conversations unavoidably end up as an ontological discussion of the meaning of terms

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

how loving dare you say I lost an argument on the internet this is slander and I will snitch on your gay rear end, bitch

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
The goal is not to debate the meaning of free will, it is to investigate the development of its use to learn about ourselves and to untie an unresolvable issue ("is there free will?" and other such poorly-formed "questions," producing poorly-formed "answers"). The issue is meaningless in itself, having meaning only in relation to us and how we use it between ourselves, or misuse it. Another goal is to release ourselves from the false burden of this issue, because it has no transcendent reality.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

nomadologique posted:

The goal is not to debate the meaning of free will, it is to investigate the development of its use to learn about ourselves and to untie an unresolvable issue ("is there free will?" and other such poorly-formed "questions," producing poorly-formed "answers"). The issue is meaningless in itself, having meaning only in relation to us and how we use it between ourselves, or misuse it. Another goal is to release ourselves from the false burden of this issue, because it has no transcendent reality.

:350:

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

nomadologique posted:

my man

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Picasso marks the beginning of modern human consciousness.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
free will does not exist in the capacity claimed to exist by religious liars, but that just means you're stuck as the pr middleman between your physical existence and the outside world, and you most definitely reap what you sow. please don't make terrible nihilistic decisions based on this knowledge you loving reactionary retards, your body and tribe will thank you if you do 'em good

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

if you ask an adult who (since learning a language) never learned speech as a kid and was never around people who spoke, and ask them what their life was like or how they made decisions, they cannot answer, that whole memory of their life will only come up as darkness to them, and make them very confused. So I guess the answer to your question op, is consciousness comes inherently with language

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
when you're building a frame of reference, you first need a solid foundation or you end up with the mental equivalent of a groverhaus. you need an os to run the apps

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
i think when we started attempting medicine is when we truly gained consciousness. that is when we went from just accepting the world around us, to trying to change it to prolong and improve ours and others' existence

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Poetic Justice posted:

i think when we started attempting medicine is when we truly gained consciousness. that is when we went from just accepting the world around us, to trying to change it to prolong and improve ours and others' existence
it says in this 2069 year old book that blood transfusion is satan, vaccines are liquid autism & you shouldn't disagree with god about your asthma, just let it take you

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

quakster posted:

it says in this 2069 year old book that blood transfusion is satan, vaccines are liquid autism & you shouldn't disagree with god about your asthma, just let it take you
what youre saying is all 100% correct of course but the bible is a lot older than that

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
my apologies, i was holding it upside down. it actually says 6905

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Poetic Justice posted:

Wouldn't that be the moment we started farming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The moment we first drew a dong on a rock somewhere

• Locked thread