Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The last time I made wings I brined them, sous vided, and froze them on baking sheets before deep frying. It seems fussy but you can do a whole shitload of all of the steps except deep frying all at once and then have a big ziploc bag full of wings ready to be fried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

BraveUlysses posted:

except for pok pok's wings, which I can't get right on the grill

Do you have their cookbook?

Plugging for my favourite recipe at current:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/honey-sriracha-chicken-wings-recipe.html

Except instead of having separate parts and baking in the oven, what I do is combine everything into a singular sauce, marinate overnight, and if I have the time I will fire up the charcoal bbq, super hot, seal them on that, coating each wing with an extra bit of sauce (I also double how much goes on per pound or whatever it is) and then finishing them in the oven with another light brushing of sauce. I haven't yet tried it but I'd love to smoke them.

The other I have is Nagoya Tebasaki which is essentially wings coated in potato flour, deep fried and coated in a red miso, soy and sake based sauce. I could actually eat them all day, I don't have the recipe handy but for anyone interested I can post it later

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Chemmy posted:

The last time I made wings I brined them, sous vided, and froze them on baking sheets before deep frying. It seems fussy but you can do a whole shitload of all of the steps except deep frying all at once and then have a big ziploc bag full of wings ready to be fried.

I'm interested in this. How were the results?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Pretty well. The skin was super crisp (frying them while frozen means more time to cook the outside before the inside is overcooked) and I feel like the sous vide tenderized some of the connective bits inside the wing.

I think I used 63C for two hours on the wings, patted them dry and spread them on wire racks and froze them overnight. Once frozen I put them all in a big ziploc and fried what I wanted. For sauce I used the traditional butter and frank's red hot with some worcestershire, fresh garlic and a little sriracha.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Chemmy posted:

Pretty well. The skin was super crisp (frying them while frozen means more time to cook the outside before the inside is overcooked) and I feel like the sous vide tenderized some of the connective bits inside the wing.

I think I used 63C for two hours on the wings, patted them dry and spread them on wire racks and froze them overnight. Once frozen I put them all in a big ziploc and fried what I wanted. For sauce I used the traditional butter and frank's red hot with some worcestershire, fresh garlic and a little sriracha.

What about the brine?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I actually think I skipped it because I'm lazy.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Croatoan posted:

You guys have to be making GBS threads me that you use Alton Brown's wing method. That is the most over complicated BS that exemplifies why Alton is in fact retarded. I mean he's cool if you're just getting into cooking but the more you learn the more you realize how stupid his poo poo really is.

Here's pr0k's wings which is exactly how I do mine. They come out perfect.
http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Buffalo_Wings_with_Blue_Cheese_Dressing

Agreeing with Whalley here. Frying is much much more of a hassle for me. Steam + baking them nets me awesome (not as good as frying) wings with less mess.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
We do some pretty awesome chicken wings for our happy hour, but we’re not a volume place so we can take a little more time with them. Even still though I think simplicity is the best for something like wings. We use a full wing (tip, wing, drummette)  and cook it whole, takes a couple minutes but the presentation is pretty neat. We soak the wings in buttermilk, then they go from buttermilk into seasoned flour [salt, pepper, paprika, sesame seeds], then into the fryer until done. 

I made up our wing sauce and it’s pretty titties, a sriracha-maple glaze. It’s  mostly maple syrup and sriracha with a little shallot, apple cider vinegar and some vegetable oil for viscosity. Emulsifies and holds well so it’s always thick and glossy. Kind of a chicken and waffles idea with the buttermilk breading and the maple. The breading ends up thick enough to stay crispy even with a good layer of sauce on it but I take them home a lot in a plastic bag and even without crunchy breading they are loving fantastic.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

McSpergin posted:

Do you have their cookbook?

nah, i've only tried using the recipies on the web. i use it as an excuse to go there every time im in PDX.

McSpergin posted:

Plugging for my favourite recipe at current:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/honey-sriracha-chicken-wings-recipe.html

Except instead of having separate parts and baking in the oven, what I do is combine everything into a singular sauce, marinate overnight, and if I have the time I will fire up the charcoal bbq, super hot, seal them on that, coating each wing with an extra bit of sauce (I also double how much goes on per pound or whatever it is) and then finishing them in the oven with another light brushing of sauce. I haven't yet tried it but I'd love to smoke them.

The other I have is Nagoya Tebasaki which is essentially wings coated in potato flour, deep fried and coated in a red miso, soy and sake based sauce. I could actually eat them all day, I don't have the recipe handy but for anyone interested I can post it later

Try the similar recipe i posted earlier if you try it on the grill.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
I'm in a part of the world that has fantastic food, but no decent buffalo wings for probably thousands of miles around me. Thankfully I brought half a gallon of Franks with me the last time I was in the US.

Unfortunately, ovens aren't very common here. And pretty much all the stoves are giant gas tanks connected to a singular burner (or in my case, a camping stove with butane cannisters). I'd hate to waste gas (which can get pretty expensive) and a ton of oil just to make wings for myself. But I do have a crockpot, and a dinky toaster oven that has no temperature setting. I'm thinking of cooking them in the crockpot for several hours and then finishing them in the toaster oven.

If anyone has any advice on cooking wings in a crockpot, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise, wish me luck.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

You could shallow fry like regular fried chicken to cut back on shortening. Wouldn't be the same, but cool-rear end stoves demand the concession.

Can you get a stovetop oven like car campers use? That would also work.

E: Butane canisters? Like MSR Drafonfly type thing? Or like the old Coleman car camping units that happen to run on butane?

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

Butch Cassidy posted:

You could shallow fry like regular fried chicken to cut back on shortening. Wouldn't be the same, but cool-rear end stoves demand the concession.

Can you get a stovetop oven like car campers use? That would also work.

E: Butane canisters? Like MSR Drafonfly type thing? Or like the old Coleman car camping units that happen to run on butane?

It's one of these:

Which is fine, it just takes a long time and those gas cannisters can run out pretty easily. Maybe I can fry them to finish them off after cooking them in a crockpot.

The good thing is in Thailand I've got access to all kinds of good ingredients to make some interesting kinds of wings with.

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008

Djamba posted:

2. Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Drain and reserve the marinade, then spread the wings out on a very large baking tray. Bake for 30 mins, then pour off the excess oil, add the reserved marinade and toss well. Increase oven to 200C/180C fan/ gas 6. Return to the oven and cook for a further 30 mins, taking the wings out every 10 minutes and put them in the bowl of sauce re-coating them with the remainder of the sauce to make sure they are triple coated.

Nice technique except why god has no one addressed this!!! DO NOT USE the marinade you soaked your chicken parts in as a final sauce. When you make the marinade in the first place use half in the chicken and reserve half. After your chicken has a had a soak, dump that used marinade! You're just asking for salmonella poison if you use it on finished product. Even if you cook them one last time for ten minutes after the last coating.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

brick cow posted:

Nice technique except why god has no one addressed this!!! DO NOT USE the marinade you soaked your chicken parts in as a final sauce. When you make the marinade in the first place use half in the chicken and reserve half. After your chicken has a had a soak, dump that used marinade! You're just asking for salmonella poison if you use it on finished product. Even if you cook them one last time for ten minutes after the last coating.

Correct, unless you boil the remaining marinade for a good 10 minutes or so before reapplying.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Reread that.

quote:

2. Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Drain and reserve the marinade, then spread the wings out on a very large baking tray. Bake for 30 mins, then pour off the excess oil, add the reserved marinade and toss well. Increase oven to 200C/180C fan/ gas 6. Return to the oven and cook for a further 30 mins, taking the wings out every 10 minutes and put them in the bowl of sauce re-coating them with the remainder of the sauce to make sure they are triple coated.

The marinade is being readded but then cooked at 400° F for half an hour. I think the sauce is something else?

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 5, 2014

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Shadowhand00 posted:

I've made this recipe a few times and it makes for a pretty drat delicious chicken:

http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/crispy-chicken-wings-korean-style/

Made this last night. Ruled.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Shnicker posted:

Unfortunately, ovens aren't very common here.
Gas grill? Smoker?

Garregus
Aug 10, 2002
Regardless of how you choose to cook your wings, saucing them and throwing them on a grill over an open flame to caramelize the sauce a bit is an excellent option.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Garregus posted:

Regardless of how you choose to cook your wings, saucing them and throwing them on a grill over an open flame to caramelize the sauce a bit is an excellent option.

It's better to cook them indirect on a grill for a while to let the fat render out of the skin, then sauce and cook direct for some carmelization and a bit of char.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Last time I made wings I tossed them in a mix of corn starch, baking powder, lawry's, pepper and paprika before baking. They kind of get gooey and sticky when you're tossing them, but then cook up really crispy. I bake them at 420 convection. I've found that just above that temp the chicken fat really stats to smoke. I get a little smoke at that temp, but it's manageable.

I've also made an asian style sauce for them that was baller but I can't for the life of me remember everything I put in it. That's the problem with making things up as you go. I do know that it had honey, soy, and chili crisp in it, but I don't remember what else.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I bake them at 420 convection. I've found that just above that temp the chicken fat really stats to smoke. I get a little smoke at that temp, but it's manageable.

:420: 420 smoke chicken erryday :420:

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
Anyone have a good crockpot wing recipe? Having a potluck at work and have a frozen bag of wings that has been in my freezer for a little while now.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I hope not. One of the best parts of chicken wings are the crispy skin. Crock pot wings would just be mushy and gross.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I briefly dated a girl who made crockpot wings, the recipe involved sugar and a bunch of other poo poo. Her dad talked about how great they were.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

supersteve posted:

Anyone have a good crockpot wing recipe? Having a potluck at work and have a frozen bag of wings that has been in my freezer for a little while now.

1) Put wings in crock pot.
2) Cover in BBQ sauce.
3) Cook until done.

I loved those so much when I was a kid.

As for oven wings I agree that the Alton Brown steam & bake method is best but honestly I can't be bothered. I just transfer the rack I have the wings on to a clean pan after most of the initial fat gets rendered out to avoid smoking.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Republicans posted:

2) Cover in BBQ sauce.
3) Cook until done.

Careful, half the population of Allrecipes might sue you for copyright infringement.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

You know what else is pretty good on wings? Shake & Bake with a little ranch dressing powder mixed in.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
ranch dressing powder goes great in ANYTHING

Djamba
Aug 9, 2013
Double post....

Djamba
Aug 9, 2013

brick cow posted:

They are cooked for 10 mins at 220 which should kill anything off but it's a fair point. It's never hurt me but then I guess that's no guarantee - So I guess you should make an extra batch of sauce as you say to be safe.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Republicans posted:

2) Cover in BBQ sauce.
3) Cook until done.

I loved those so much when I was a kid.

As for oven wings I agree that the Alton Brown steam & bake method is best but honestly I can't be bothered. I just transfer the rack I have the wings on to a clean pan after most of the initial fat gets rendered out to avoid smoking.

Avatar/post combo of the year right here.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Aight here's my recipe -

Nagoya Tebasaki - japanese wings
This serves me and my housemate at a kilo of wings each

Coat wings in potato flour, deep fry to golden brown

While wings frying, make sauce:
2tsp chili bean paste
4tsp grated/minced garlic
4tbsp sugar
4tbsp red miso
4tbsp soy sauce
1/2 cup good sake
1/2 cup good mirin

Pretty much just mix everything into saucepan, heat until the miso and sugar have dissolved. Super umami rich

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Baked chicken wings are loving garbage.

WHAT A TREAT OP!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Made this last night. Ruled.

Tried it last night, you're 100% right.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

supersteve posted:

you can't deep fry in a crockpot, what the gently caress is this??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
While crispy chicken skin for wings is in general superior, there are some Asian preparations of wings that mostly braise them in a flavorful sauce. Korean fried chicken wings would be better yeah cause you get the best of both worlds of crispy plus the sweet, sticky sauce but for a quick food this works and is tasty eaten with rice. They don't need that long though so slow cooker not needed.

Here's one example: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/one-pot-sticky-chicken-wings

• Locked thread