Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I upgraded to Yosemite. On the setup screen after installation, I foolishly said "yes" to "would you like to use Filevault to encrypt your hard drive." Since then, it has been stuck at the encryption stage. It keeps going back and forth between "estimating time remaining" and "X days remaining", like below:

and, three seconds later:

I'm unable to turn off Filevault at this stage. It tells me it needs to finish encrypting first. When I run a system report, it shows this:

code:
Macintosh HD:

Available:	75.24 GB (75,244,605,440 bytes)
  Capacity:	120.1 GB (120,101,797,888 bytes)
  Mount Point:	/
  File System:	Journaled HFS+
  Writable:	Yes
  Ignore Ownership:	No
  BSD Name:	disk1
  Volume UUID:	EE313996-FE76-32C2-AC61-7DC4C00490D5
  Logical Volume:
  Revertible:	No
  Encrypted:	Yes
  Encryption Type:	AES-XTS
  Locked:	No

Conversion State:	Failed   <----------

Bytes Converted:	29.24 GB (29,237,968,896 bytes)
  LV UUID:	632238A6-CDCC-42F9-BD91-03D6064B5DEF
Note where it says "failed" for Conversion State. When I turn on my laptop, that actually starts at "Converting" and then fails after a few minutes.

The really annoying part is that the CPU and the full-speed fan are consuming battery power like crazy. I go from 100% to 0% in less than an hour and a half. So I need to be tethered to a power outlet most of the day.

I searched around the Internet and haven't found anything authoritative that talks about this problem. Some guy said "format hard drive and reinstall the OS" but that's not an option at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread