Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

NippleFloss posted:

Must be pretty cool working in the Panther's front office!
And the best part about all of these UDFAs in front of Cam, we don't have to pay them much! Contract extensions for all running backs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Honestly the Panthers oline aren't the biggest issue, it's the coaching staff that's utilizing them.

If you're going to run a playbook from the 1970s, you sure as poo poo better have the dudes to do it. Cam can change a defense by himself if the plays let him. I'll never understand why they don't just spread the defense out and let Cam loving ball like he did against the Bears and Bengals.

Hurrr gotta establish the run hurrrr

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Honestly the Panthers oline aren't the biggest issue, it's the coaching staff that's utilizing them.

If you're going to run a playbook from the 1970s, you sure as poo poo better have the dudes to do it. Cam can change a defense by himself if the plays let him. I'll never understand why they don't just spread the defense out and let Cam loving ball like he did against the Bears and Bengals.

Hurrr gotta establish the run hurrrr

If only there was an offensive coordinator that was available last offaseason who did exactly that with cam they could've hired.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
http://www.chargers.com/team/injury-report.html

gently caress this is depressing to look at. :smith:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

BlindSite posted:

If only there was an offensive coordinator that was available last offaseason who did exactly that with cam they could've hired.
Nah, he has head coaching experience, he's too expensive.

Screen pass on 4th and forever.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Lets not act like Chud is a savior, the players made it clear they didnt like him. And dude tried to get too cute a lot of times

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

waah posted:

Lets not act like Chud is a savior, the players made it clear they didnt like him. And dude tried to get too cute a lot of times

Deangelo and Tolbert didn't like him. So loving what?

How many sacrifices would I have to make to get Malzahn in carolina?

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Brannigans Law posted:

I can't tell if this is serious, but I thought Grimes has always been pretty good. However, my best memory of him is Aaron Rogers clowning him in the playoffs.

No it's serious. Grimes is great and Finnegan is a terrible person but I think he's performed well on the field this year.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Danny LaFever posted:

No it's serious. Grimes is great and Finnegan is a terrible person but I think he's performed well on the field this year.

I'm glad Finegan is doing well. I just wouldn't be the same without him. :allears:

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Eifert Posting posted:

Steelers have incriminating photos of god or something.

The Ravens will get blown out regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Back after a busy couple of weeks forced me to pass up on making some effort posts. Was debating what to break down while I was going through old pictures on my phone and found this gem:

and that pretty much decided it for me. Jay Cutler has been getting a lot of heat lately for his play and while there has been plenty of good, he's turned the ball over quite a bit as well with 8 ints and 9(!) fumbles, although only 4 have been lost.

I watched the Bears' last two games against the Patriots and Dolphins to see what had been going on. Going in to it, I had a few things that I had already noticed in the Bears' and Cutler's play and I wanted to see if those trends had continued through the year.

For one, Cutler tends to stay on his first read longer than most veteran quarterbacks. He has a lot of trust in his arm and ability to squeeze the ball into tight windows. And while that allows him to make throws that few quarterbacks could make it also has him pass up many good opportunities for big plays elsewhere on the field. Here's one example of that against the Patriots.

Patriots show a 2 deep safety look with both outside corners Revis and Browner playing off coverage with outside leverage. This tends to show that they have help to the inside. The look in general hints at quarters coverage, or a type of cover 4 look.

And here's the Bears' playcall:

The primary read is Brandon Marshall on a curl. The other two routes to his side of the field are part of a spacing concept to spread zone coverage and create space to make Cutler's read easier.

The look as Cutler goes to throw. He stares down Marshall the whole play, so Revis sits down and aggressively jumps the route. There is also help underneath and to the inside.

Meanwhile, Alshon Jeffery is running a route over the middle of the field that comes wide open. Cutler had the time to move on to him and go for a big play, but his trust in his ability to hit Marshall never even had him see it. The pass falls incomplete as Marshall gets jumped by two people.

Another play a bit later on.

The Patriots run a classic cover 3 look that we've seen many times before.

The playcall is for a play fake to RB Matt Forte and then for Cutler to hit TE Bennett (top of screen) on a streak for a big play.

As I've also broken down before, the responsibility for the play falls on the deep middle safety in cover 3. For the Patriots that player is Devin McCourty.

McCourty does a good job here of splitting the difference between the uncovered slot receiver (Jeffery) and Bennett at the top. But seeing as how Jeffery is unaccounted for and Bennett is covered by Browner on his own deep third responsibility, McCourty cheats a bit towards Jeffery.

Jay Cutler could compound this by manipulating McCourty with his eyes at the start of the play. But Cutler instead stares down Bennett for a full 2+ seconds immediately after completing the playfake, never acknowledging Jeffery's route.

Cutler throws to Bennett, but McCourty is able to get over and intercept the pass. The play was wiped out by an illegal contact call on Browner, but that didn't impact the play much. Football can truly be a game of inches at times and if Cutler managed to hold McCourty for even a moment the opportunity for a big play was there.

As I mentioned before, Cutler rarely checks down to more shallow receivers unless his primary read is completely blanketed. The one exception to this is how he looks for RB Matt Forte on delayed release routes. Many Bear plays follow the format of primary read->Forte->sack/scramble. Teams have seen this as well and are now flooding the middle of the field against the Bears to play off of this tendency by taking away Forte's options.

Here's one play of the Dolphin game that showed just that. Soldier Fields' all-22 camera is almost field level so it's hard to break down the full play.

Alshon Jeffery (deep corner) and Marshall (flat) combine to play off of the depth of the outside corner's drop here. The playcall counters how teams are playing the Bears and falls to Cutler to properly break it down. Forte also delays a release on a shallow hook over the center after a few seconds.

The outside corner gets a lot of depth in his drop. It's 3rd and long so they're giving up the flat here.

Cutler correctly reads that the deep corner route isn't there and doesn't force the ball. The corner's back is actually to Marshall in the flat. But rather than check down to the open Marshall and trusting in him to get yards after the catch, Cutler immediately looks to Forte on his buttonhook. He's blanketed, so Cutler pulls the ball down and is sacked. The corner route being ran on the opposite side of the field also comes wide open as the corner there does not do a good job of gaining depth. But Cutler immediately looking for Forte takes away any chance of the first down being converted. An example of a coverage sack when receivers were open.

The Bears didn't move the ball much in the first half of the Patriot game because they repeated this often. There were many opportunities for consistent shorter gains that were passed up on. They made adjustments at halftime and had playcalls where the primary receiver was on shorter routes and had much more success.

You can definitely see the Bears' pressing while they're on the field. Marshall and Jeffery are frequently jogging through routes when they're not the primary receiver. That definitely does not help a quarterback out.

Cutler is pressing too. A lot of his interceptions have been on throws where he forces the ball into coverage, as mentioned before.

He's also fumbling in the same way. While being wrapped up for a sack on this play, rather than protect the ball and go to the ground, Cutler extends it from his body and tries to shovel pass it to a receiver. But there isn't one within 30 feet. He fumbles and the ball is returned for a Patriots' touchdown.

Most of this has been blaming Cutler for the Bears' struggles. But there is plenty of blame to go around. Their offensive line has been inconsistent. Jeffery and Marshall both have battled injuries and haven't been able to get as much vertical separation as they did last year. And while Matt Forte is a great running back, I came away less than impressed with his pass blocking ability. He knows where to be and who to block, but frequently doesn't attack blitzing defenders with enough physicality and gets beaten.

Here's an example of the Bears' OL breaking down and Cutler bailing them out.

An empty backfield from the Bears with Bennett and Forte on the edges of the line to provide help to the tackles by chipping before releasing out into a route.

The Patriots' front is completely even, meaning the Bears and Cutler can't shift protection either way in anticipation of a blitz.

The blitz is coming from the left side on a simple overload look. TE Bennett stays in to chip the end before releasing into the flat. It falls on LT Jermon Bushrod to block the linebacker coming through the B gap to give Cutler a little extra time to make a play.

One of the first things kids are taught when they first start playing offense in peewee leagues is to always block the innermost threat to the play. But Bushrod doesn't see the linebacker and completely blows the play.

Cutler makes a really nice play to avoid the sack and get the ball out. Wish I knew of a way to make gifs easily so I could show it here, but he had a nice spin move and toss to Bennett for a short gain. Much better than a sack.

Hopefully that helped show some of the issues the Bears have been dealing with. Like I said earlier, there's been a lot of good with Cutler this year as he has 17 touchdowns and a 95+ QB rating up to this point. But there have been too many turnovers as well. I think at this point Cutler is who he's going to be. He's always been a guy who locks on to his primary receiver, for better or worse. The Bears' staff could possibly do a better job to expand their play selection as they did in the second half of the Patriots' game to force Cutler to spread the ball a bit more.

So much do you guys blame Jay Cutler for RG3's injury?

• Locked thread