Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I'm trying to compile a comprehensive list of songs that every jamming or gigging musician should know. Everyone knows that Time, Tone, and Technique (as well as punctuality and a good attitude) are essential requirements for many working musicians; however, one attribute that I think is just as essential is knowing a lot of songs. I figured I would start off with a few examples and then hopefully some helpful goons can make suggestions, which will be added to the OP. Of course, there will be more than 10 songs per genre, but it's a good number to start with.

Learning songs also has a few other advantages - if you're learning the songs by ear, then your ear training will vastly improve. It will also help to familiarize you with common chord progressions and structures.

Feel free to suggest boring overplayed songs (like The Pina Colada Song!) because unless you do originals all the time, you're probably going to have to play them eventually.

If possible, please include the genre and artist - unless it's the kind of song that numerous artists have done, like jazz standards. The genres can also be pretty wide - for example, "rock" can be anything from Bill Haley to AC/DC.

Rock

1. Black Magic Woman - Santana
2. Foxy Lady - Jimi Hendrix
3. Roadhouse Blues - The Doors
4. Johnny B. Goode - Chuck Berry
5. Born to be Wild ~ Steppenwolf
6. Just Got Paid ~ ZZ Top
7. Rock and Roll ~ Led Zeppelin

Pop

1. Hotel California - The Eagles
2. Sweet Caroline - Neil Diamond
3. Unchained Melody - Righteous Brothers
4. Every Breath You Take - The Police
5. Boys of Summer ~ Don Henley

Country

1. Crazy - Patsy Cline
2. Folsom Prison - Johnny Cash
3. Hey Good Lookin' - Hank Williams

Soul/R 'n' B/Funk

1. Knock On Wood - Eddie Floyd
2. Stand By Me - Ben E. King
3. Rescue Me - Fontella Bass
4. I Wish - Stevie Wonder
5. I Will Survive - Gloria Gaynor

Blues

1. Killing Floor - Howlin' Wolf
2. The Thrill Is Gone - B. B. King
3. Born Under A Bad Sign - Albert King

Jazz

1. Body And Soul
2. On Green Dolphin Street
3. All The Things You Are
4. Round Midnight - Thelonius Monk
5. In The Mood - Glen Miller
6. Blue Bossa
7. The Girl From Ipanema - Antonio Carlos Jobim
8. Autumn Leaves
9. Have You Met Miss Jones
10. Solar
11. Bye Bye Blackbird

Seventh Arrow fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz Boxer
Apr 28, 2007

sticking with whatever fails
Chuck Berry - Johnny B. Goode

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Good suggestion! There's only a few chords in that one, but it's good to remember where the stops are.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
In the Mood

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Blue Bossa is like, the standard of jazz standards at this point.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I played Blue Bossa so much in college, it's when I realized you could still hear the melody and chord progression in your head even when people were soloing.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Girl from Ipanema also fits the bill I think. basically just pick 10 from the real book/fake book.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

For jazz there's also

Autumn Leaves
HAve You Meet Miss Jones
Solar
Bye Bye Blackbird

Again, all stuff from the real book.

For rock I use to be in a cover band that did this version of "Take Me To The River" with a female singer, and then during the solo the bassist would flip into the Talking Heads bassline, and it would morph into that version for the outro. It was pretty slick and definitely got one or two people's attention that were listening.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

This is a really good idea. Here are my recommendations for noise artist to have under their belt before they even think of playing a show! These are pretty much the "freebird" of the noise circuit.

Noise

1. Counterpoint- Ryoji Ikeda
2. Till Eulenspiegels lustige Streiche (Op. 28)- Richard Strauss
3. Minus Zero- Merzbow
4. Amber- 311
5. .^.^%^%^%- [THE USER]
6. Beautiful Day- Doormouse

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Stravinsky posted:

This is a really good idea.

Thanks!

quote:

These are pretty much the "freebird" of the noise circuit.

:frogout:

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Rock:
  • Born to be Wild ~ Steppenwolf
  • Just Got Paid ~ ZZ Top
  • Rock and Roll ~ Led Zeppelin
Pop
  • Boys of Summer ~ Don Henley

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

On the soul side, "I Will Survive" by Donna Summer seems to come up an awful lot.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I think it's by Gloria Gaynor, but it is definitely a popular song. I think the chord progression is just cycle of fourths, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Seventh Arrow posted:

I think it's by Gloria Gaynor, but it is definitely a popular song. I think the chord progression is just cycle of fourths, too.

Oh, yeah. I knew that. :ninja:

• Locked thread