Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Ghaz posted:

elder scrolls online is a great MMO if you just give it a loving chance. Only neckbeard virgin shutins care about CHIM

So after playing an absurd amount of Skyrim and getting pretty deep into the lore of the Elder Scrolls, I came across an interesting theory of a sort of meta-narrative throughout the games. I started reading more and more about the metaphysical concept of CHIM, which is detailed through some of the in-game books and expanded upon by fans on forums. From what I gathered through the dense language of the discussions taking place on the subject, CHIM is basically a character realizing that he is in fictional world but somehow still keeps his identity, and therefore becomes able to control the world around him…I think. In terms of the Elder Scrolls lore, it is like gaining complete enlightenment, and having the world become much like a lucid dream, where you can change what you see in whatever way.

The cool part comes in where it seems like the fans, though it could be inferred that the designers wanted the idea out there, have come up with idea that CHIM sort of breaks the fourth wall of the game, where characters that have achieved CHIM, reference the Elder Scrolls modding tools and other crazy notions. Even main characters, the ones you play as in the games, reach CHIM, allowing you to do all the stuff you do. Yeah, it gets a little crazy. Who knows, everything I just said could be incorrect. It is all a pretty neat idea though, and I would not be the best person to convey the meaning of it because I don’t really understand it all myself, but if you want to know more about the cool meta-narrative that might be happening you can read more about it here:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Al Borland posted:

Metroid:

You keep losing your powers through bullshit reasons.

To be fair even in Super Metroid they never give you any real explanation for why you aren't armed to the teeth with all your poo poo but it doesn't matter because Super Metroid is loving awesome to play.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Apparently chim has something to do with lesbian pop stars.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

chim is what happens when i forget to wipe off before falling asleep

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:CHIM

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
Sacred 2 is a bad game but I still play it. that is my story

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I loving hated GTA V and Louisgod probated me for it.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

mind the walrus posted:

I played Mario once. Now I'm hungry all the time. Coincidence? Probably.

I played Mario once. Now I can't stop crushing turtles. Coincidence?

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Unironically puzzle and dragons is the only good game

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

i love chim

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

i am............... chim

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

:woah:

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
8 eyes explode 8

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I enjoyed playing Starship Titanic.
I also enjoyed playing Myst.
Shenmue and Shenmue 2 are good games.
Super Mario Brothers 2 was a bad game.

These are my video game opinions thank you for your time.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

THE PENETRATOR posted:

mods change my av to this

lol! nice tumbler meme useage! 5/5

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I really just want to know why Megan Reed is wearing the same outfit 6months..a year? after being kidnapped.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I really just want to know why Megan Reed is wearing the same outfit 6months..a year? after being kidnapped.
the same reason i cold cocked her mother instead of telling her that she was dead even though she was alive

because videogames are for assholes

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

mind the walrus posted:

To be fair even in Super Metroid they never give you any real explanation for why you aren't armed to the teeth with all your poo poo but it doesn't matter because Super Metroid is loving awesome to play.

Agreed.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

a hole-y ghost posted:

lol! nice tumbler meme useage! 5/5

contrary to popular belief, memes are good

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

THE PENETRATOR posted:

contrary to popular belief, memes are good
yeah i totally agree! :hf: