Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I love Tom Cruise. I just don't buy anyone buying that he murdered the chick is all.

Despite size issues, he was pretty true to the character. I don't remember if the "Drink your blood from my boot" line was from the book, but it's totally a thing Jack Reacher would say. He sold that poo poo.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Nov 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

I got over the size issue after the first few minutes, but then one scene happened and took me right out. In the book when the bad guy punches that girl so hard she dies, the cops blame it on Reacher because "Who else could've beaten someone to death with one punch...? Maybe the really big dude that just rolled into town." I figured they'd do a different excuse in the film, but they didn't. No matter what movie, I could never believe Tom Cruise could one hit punch anyone to death.

Minor issue in a great movie.

I just watched this scene last night. One guy distracts her and another comes up from behind. The second guy sucker punches her, which as expected knocks her out, then he covers up her nose and mouth and suffocates her. She briefly wakes up to struggle but it was too late for her.

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life
The scene where he gets the lawyer all flustered with his hot body was hilarious because of his weird lopsided pecs and grandpa body.

Soggy Cereal
Jan 8, 2011

Just finished watching. Great, straightforward film. I love that the evil plan is investment in unneeded public works projects.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Awesome Andy posted:

The scene where he gets the lawyer all flustered with his hot body was hilarious because of his weird lopsided pecs and grandpa body.

I think those kind of scenes worked(and are hilarious) because of the meta quality they have. There's no real reason why every woman Reacher meets should be immediately and uncontrollably attracted to him, but because its Tom Cruise it makes sense. Like, if your girlfriend has a crush on Tom Cruise it doesn't matter how many times you tell her that he's over 50 and doesn't look that great anymore. Tom Cruise is Tom Cruise and will always be Tom Cruise.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i dunno if i'd go so far as to call Jack Reacher meta but it's definitely a movie with a sense of humor about the kind of movie it is

the one thing i'll ding it for is it's way too loving long for the kind of movie it is

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

t he's over 50 and doesn't look that great anymore.

Excuse me???

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Basebf555 posted:

I think those kind of scenes worked(and are hilarious) because of the meta quality they have. There's no real reason why every woman Reacher meets should be immediately and uncontrollably attracted to him, but because its Tom Cruise it makes sense. Like, if your girlfriend has a crush on Tom Cruise it doesn't matter how many times you tell her that he's over 50 and doesn't look that great anymore. Tom Cruise is Tom Cruise and will always be Tom Cruise.

No 7ft tall actor in the world possesses the same 'he's going to beat all these guys up' inevitability that Tom Cruise does just by being Tom Cruise.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wandle Cax posted:

Excuse me???

He looks great for his age obviously, but he's not the same guy he was 10-12 years ago. But yea, "not that great" is probably an exaggeration. He's still better looking than 99.99% of the population.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Literally The Worst posted:

The books are only bad if you don't want to read a Brit laughing at the idea of the Hyper American Badass OORAH while also doing a good Hyper American Badass OORAH story.

I need to figure out which one is the one that starts iwth a domestic dispute. You know the "Do you want to fight me" scene in the movie? In the book I'm thinking of, he does the same basic thing, except without using his hands, because he hurt his shoulders at the end of the previous book (which ended like 12 hours before that one). Just kicks the poo poo out of three linebackers, literally.

And then at the end he drives the evil company town owners/child molesters' Jeep through their wall and kills them.

Worth Dying For is the book you are thinking of.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

He looks great for his age obviously, but he's not the same guy he was 10-12 years ago. But yea, "not that great" is probably an exaggeration. He's still better looking than 99.99% of the population.

The scene where he goes shirtless in the hotel room like he's Channig Tatum is weird, uncomfortable and funny because her reaction does not follow what we are seeing. I thought it was a vanity project when I saw it, but it's also possible Cruise has a great sense of humor about himself.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Marketing New Brain posted:

The scene where he goes shirtless in the hotel room like he's Channig Tatum is weird, uncomfortable and funny because her reaction does not follow what we are seeing. I thought it was a vanity project when I saw it, but it's also possible Cruise has a great sense of humor about himself.

I think Edge of Tomorrow really shows he's aware of the "Tom Cruise" persona and willing to poke fun at it. Actually he was one of the reasons why the final movie had as much humor as it did.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
To answer the OP's question: This is the most tea-party fantasy movie ever, so naturally the villain is a foreigner who's evil plan is literally to waste the governments money building public works that no one really needs. I'm not even joking. He's evil because he's foreign, and he builds unnecessary bridges and roads for profit. That's his evil plan.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I always thought Dominic Purcell would've made a perfect Reacher.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Snak posted:

To answer the OP's question: This is the most tea-party fantasy movie ever, so naturally the villain is a foreigner who's evil plan is literally to waste the governments money building public works that no one really needs. I'm not even joking. He's evil because he's foreign, and he builds unnecessary bridges and roads for profit. That's his evil plan.

Alternately it's as much a joke about OORAH AMERICA movies as the books are and similarly is also a dead ringer for the real deal.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Gatts posted:

Only if we get a stinger where Uncle Gruber is Hugo Weaving doing his Warner Herzog interpretation.

Also Tom Cruise has conviction in his delivery and confidence in his action. So it's believable. Otherwise who would be a good pick...Daniel Craig?

Ray Stevenson.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

AlternateAccount posted:

Ray Stevenson.

Sorry, not American. Although that actually works super well since that author of the books is British.

I really wish Stevenson would be the Punisher again. That movie ruled.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lofty132 posted:

I always thought Dominic Purcell would've made a perfect Reacher.

Did you see the guy try to play Dracula? Dominic Purcell on my screen works amazingly well as a sleep aid.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

AlternateAccount posted:

Ray Stevenson.

I like this choice. I've thought of him too. Also Chris Hemsworth could make a good Reacher. He's got most of his physical traits.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Snak posted:

That's a vast oversimplification. The author of the books started writing because his experience in public television caused him to hate Thatcherites.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Snak posted:

I really wish Stevenson would be the Punisher again. That movie ruled.

Yes yes yes yes.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Casimir Radon posted:

That's a vast oversimplification. The author of the books started writing because his experience in public television caused him to hate Thatcherites.

That might be true of the books, but the movie does not have much going on in the depth department.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Snak posted:

That might be true of the books, but the movie does not have much going on in the depth department.

This is untrue as heck.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

This is untrue as heck.

I mean, it's essentially a scathing satire played straight, but I didn't think it had many other qualities. It's cheesy without being funny, it's serious without being able to be taken seriously, it gives you no reason to root for the main character or care about any of the events of the film. There's no reason to get emotionally invested as a viewer, and there's no element of the movie that is interesting enough to be intellectually engaging.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Snak posted:

I mean, it's essentially a scathing satire played straight, but I didn't think it had many other qualities. It's cheesy without being funny, it's serious without being able to be taken seriously, it gives you no reason to root for the main character or care about any of the events of the film. There's no reason to get emotionally invested as a viewer, and there's no element of the movie that is interesting enough to be intellectually engaging.

This post brought to you by Opposite Land, led by President Bizzaro Negativo.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

This post brought to you by Opposite Land, led by President Bizzaro Negativo.

Maybe I need to watch it again.

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006
Reacher should be played by The Rock or Liev Schreiber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
I never bought Cruise as Reacher, he is just not menacing enough. Brock Samson is how I've always pictured Reacher in my head.

• Locked thread