Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Problem description: A few days ago, my power supply died. I brought my PC to my local shop, to buy a new one and have them instal it. I didn't give them my HD though, because it has several files that have been given to me under an NDA agreement. Today I got my PC back, put my HD back in, and sadly learned that the PC refused to boot. It startd the bios as normal, and then goes into the windows loading screen before it crashes with a split-second bluescreen and reboots.

Attempted fixes: After the reboot, it gave me the option for a secure start, which leads to the same deal after loading all the Windows files. It also told me to insert my Windows disc and maybe repair my OS. I did that, and the scan only found two acl errors in two .sys files and reset them to their old values. Still the same outcome. Then I got back to my local shop, discussed the issue with them, and they told me the machine booted fine when they used one of their HDs after putting the new power supply in. Then I had them quickly plug in my HD into one of their machines to make sure that it isn't the problem. It wasn't, and now I'm kinda left with only two options. Either it's the RAM, or the bios battery is near death. Which would make sense because it's like seven years old. I can't determine if it's the RAM though, because I have no spare sticks, and IMO, a broken RAM would show different signs. The RAM also isn't that old, like a bit over a year, but maybe it got a shock when my power supply died? Lastly, my shop guy told me that a dying bios battery usually shows a wrong date/time. My date is right, but the time is wrong. However, I never really took a look at my bios time before, so I can't say if it was even right before this poo poo.

Recent changes: Had my shop guys instal a new power supply as mentioned above. I don't really think that they hosed up, because their shop has been around forever in my town.

--

Operating system: Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit

System specs: Board - Elite Group MB Elite GF7050M-M 2.0 AM2 mATX, CPU - AMD Athlon 64 x2 5000+ SAM2, 2600Mhz Dual Core, GPU - GeForce GT 640 Gainward 2GB, RAM - 2GB DDR2 800Mhz ELIXIR CL5 x2, Power Supply - CombatPower 135mm, 650 watt

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

This thread is kind of a shot into the blue, before I throw more money at my shop guy to diagnose wtf is going on. I know that helping me is probably difficult for y'all, but asking never hurts right? I personally lean towards a dying bios battery, but I'm not actually tech educated and fix/learn things as I go, so I could be totally wrong here.

E: Didn't change the thread icon like a drat noob :doh:

E2: Thanks, mods :)

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Did you see the shop check your machine and get it to fully boot with one of their HDs?

What did they do exactly when they tested your HD?

Tin Tim posted:

Either it's the RAM, or the bios battery is near death. Which would make sense because it's like seven years old.

When a BIOS battery dies it just means settings/times won't be retained when the computer is fully off. It shouldn't prevent booting or cause BSODs.

PS you should be using the 64-bit version of Vista. Someone here may be able to get you a download link for that so you could use your key.

Also, I'm not familiar with CombatPower PSUs and not sure if that's a good brand or not.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Zogo posted:

Did you see the shop check your machine and get it to fully boot with one of their HDs?
Nah, I didn't. But I've been a customer for a good while, and generally trust their word.

Zogo posted:

What did they do exactly when they tested your HD?
Plugged it into a running PC, and checked if the HD can be properly accessed or shows any signs of errors. No problem showed and it could be fully accessed, and I did kinda expect that cause I bought it at the beginning of this year from the very same shop. I also have crystal disc running at all times, and check the stats every few weeks because I had a HD die on me once and it was sad.

Zogo posted:

When a BIOS battery dies it just means settings/times won't be retained when the computer is fully off. It shouldn't prevent booting or cause BSODs.
Hmm, interesting to know. Well, then it's either still the RAM, or the shop guy lied to me. I'll bring the machine back to them tomorrow, and ask them to put in an HD while I'm there.

Zogo posted:

PS you should be using the 64-bit version of Vista. Someone here may be able to get you a download link for that so you could use your key.
Yeah, I know :)

I've been setting up to eventually switch to 64bit, but I kinda dread doing all the setup and getting my applications for 64bit, so I've been pushing it ahead of me.

Thanks for your time!

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Zogo posted:

Also, I'm not familiar with CombatPower PSUs and not sure if that's a good brand or not.
Oh hey, after doing a bit of research, it seems like that particular brand is a piece of poo poo. It doesn't have a lot reviews, but each one is negative. Wouldn't have expected that, because as said, I've been a customer of that shop for a while. Wouldn't surprise me if the boot problem can be traced back to the PSU being garbage too.

Anyway, I'll return it tomorrow, get my money back, and look for another shop for future needs.

E: Got my money back. The shop guy was chill about it, but naturally wanted to tell me that the PSU isn't as bad and how he's been using them forever with a low failure rate at whatnot. That's expected cause he lives from selling parts and such, but I'm more inclined to believe the tests and generally bad user posts about it. It was cute how one of his clerks wanted to sway me by diging up a five star rating on Chip.de. Except that this was a single user review from two years ago, and not affiliated with Chip.de in any way. And like three google hits down, there was a forum thread on the very same site very everyone was trashing the brand and model. I'm pretty miffed about the whole deal, because previous parts from that shop have always been good and I never had any issues. Oh well, that's how it is. I'll head on the PC building thread to get some suggestions on a decent PSU.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 30, 2014

• Locked thread