Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I can't fault you for not wanting to jump right into Warfighter. It might literally kill you.

Edit: You may mock the Mechanix gloves, but you see those everywhere in both the real military and airsofters because they tend to be better than what they got issued.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Dec 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Lazyfire posted:

as there is often nothing to say about the next encounter or area.

The sad thing is that I actually am thinking of a bunch of things to say about this video after watching it, and every single one of them is related to some stupidly common mistake every FPS makes.

The main one is that, just once, I'd like a singleplayer game to acknowledge that the entire loving point of a minigun having multiple barrels is to prevent it from overheating.

Also, it's funny that you mentioned Ubisoft at one point, because I just picked up Far Cry 2 a couple days ago, and both that game and this one have G3's somehow holding 30 rounds in a 20-round magazine.
i wish i could run far cry 3

EDIT: I'm reading back through the first page now that it's over and I'm realizing this game actually simulates Newton's third law in it's own hosed-up way.

Remember this thing?

Like 90% of the explosions that killed people in this playthrough resulted in next to no force being imparted on them. They just crumpled up and dropped where they stood. So then when the physics engine got off its all-day smoke break and realized it was supposed to work, it overcompensated. Hence poo poo like that AK that slowly floated out into space I pointed out a video or two back, and the guy in this video who flew 200 feet from a 40mm grenade.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Dec 27, 2014

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
This game a was a thing.

It is a thing that I'll forget so it's not really a big deal, but this game is the Valium of 2010 military shooters.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Rare footage of the Taliban space program:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I seriously, honest-to-god, cannot tell you anything that happened in this game. I can remember bits of Black Ops' stories, i can even stomach CoD: Gjosts, but this MoH 2010 is just so bland.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I'd say Syndicate reboot is a game that has fun gameplay and nice visuals, only marred by a horrible, horrible plot that misses the point of the first game entirely.

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
Okay, where do I start?

I want to nitpick some things that annoyed me in this level:
What's with the minigun shooting bullets as slow as a Quake rocket launcher? Not to mention the rate of fire, that was commented on in the video, but those bullets were just agonizingly slow compared to every other weapon.
Well, except for the 40mm grenade launcher. That thing's just sad.

You didn't comment on it (I think), but when they call for close air support, they say there are F-15s coming. This seems to be what's flying around (at least it's some kind of jet). But when designating the target, the it says you're calling in an AC-130 with a 40mm Bofers (was it misspelled in the earlier videos as well? I don't remember and I cannot be arsed to check). It still sounded like a jet flying over when you called it in though.

There's a couple others, but I've :spergin: enough already.

The final "dramatic" cutscene does show perhaps the greatest flaw in this game, though.
You're seeing all these people giving Rabbit bad medical advice, and I cannot tell who any of them are. Seriously, I have no idea who they are, and I can't tell any of them apart. Mother and Voodoo are the only names I can remember, and I don't know what the difference between them is.

At least in a Call of Duty game I would have known their faces.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

tehinternet posted:

This game a was a thing.

It is a thing that I'll forget so it's not really a big deal, but this game is the Valium of 2010 military shooters.

I wish it was Valium to me, I was getting physically sick as I mentioned before following this LP.

I tried out the game on a friend's 360 thinking actually controlling the game would help but I still got the same problem. I had to counter it by popping some chewing gum and just gnaw away at it while playing. It worked and I got to the end of the game but it was a horrible experience, more due to the motion sickness I was getting from it. Game itself was an ok shooter but really nothing else really.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

VKing posted:

You didn't comment on it (I think), but when they call for close air support, they say there are F-15s coming. This seems to be what's flying around (at least it's some kind of jet). But when designating the target, the it says you're calling in an AC-130 with a 40mm Bofers (was it misspelled in the earlier videos as well? I don't remember and I cannot be arsed to check). It still sounded like a jet flying over when you called it in though.
Given the size of the explosions, it's likely those are actually laser-guided munitions and not an AC-130. Which means that they probably didn't care.w

Speaking of Warfighter, the SP campaign tries to improve on the characterization in general and just botches it worse than this, which is saying something.
It feels like this game is limited by being published by EA before they realized that they might want to be a bit better than Ubisoft or Activision and trying to both have the story revolving around the events of the real Operation Anaconda while trying to also be COD; the latter can be seen with that general made to be a walking stereotype of bad leadership, but also being right about waiting before mobilizing the QRF, because they couldn't avoid having the real rescue happen: in the real events what happened was that a Chinook with SEAL was fired upon and got hit by an RPG, kinda like what happened in the previous video, except that the guy that was lost was one of the helo's crew and an improvised rescue mission was immediately attempted that ended with the QRF helis getting shot down just like in this last update.

And there probably aren't many servers up, but I would suggest trying to get some goons together and see if you can play the objective-based multiplayer mode at least once for a video: for all its issues, that game mode specifically did a lot of things right and is how in my opinion Rush should've been made in BF3 and 4, instead of being all about those dumb M-COM things.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

This is just the same thing tiled. If they didn't want to make a bigger texture, they could have just put it there once for the same effect.

Lazy fucks.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So Rabbit bled to death.

Did anyone actually bother to bandage him? Like, not even tear off a sleeve of their uniform to make a tourniquet? It looked like they just stood around staring at him while waiting for him to collapse.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Dusty was obviously the team medic.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

goatface posted:

Dusty was obviously the team medic.

He drapes his beard over the wound. When it comes off, it's closed up again.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

radintorov posted:

And there probably aren't many servers up, but I would suggest trying to get some goons together and see if you can play the objective-based multiplayer mode at least once for a video: for all its issues, that game mode specifically did a lot of things right and is how in my opinion Rush should've been made in BF3 and 4, instead of being all about those dumb M-COM things.

I was actually thinking of asking in my last post for people's opinions on multi, since despite all this poo poo we just witnessed the fact that the game has been going on sale for 5 bucks or less approximately every other week since this LP started, and hearing in this video that SP and MP are separate installs so I wouldn't have to touch the boring part, made it sort of tempting.

Then I double-checked the Steam store page to see if it actually was on sale for that much for the Christmas sale.

Steam Store posted:

Notice: "Multiplayer requires launching the single-player game first"

haha, nope

There's also the fact that most of the user recommendations shown on the store page either just don't mention multiplayer at all or outright state that they haven't touched it, which doesn't bode well.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm pretty sure the objectives in MoH's multiplayer are MCOM's in all but name. You have to fight your way to them, hold down a button, defend it and/or just defend it on the opposing team. The main problem the multiplayer has is an overabundance of chokepoints and a complete lack of tools to deal with them. Also one-hit-kill sniper rifles. I played it for a bit but it lost me after a couple weeks of sporadic play because there was never any variety. I don't mean just the same maps but the same maps playing out the exact same way over and over. Those chokepoints are so abundant that if you're on the defending side you just pick one to stare at, or if you're on the attacking side you just have to slowly edge around corners and hope you're only going to face one guy.

I remember a couple of the last stages of Rush mode maps being okay and more open, one in an airport and one in a village, but that's about it.

Toma
Jul 18, 2011

Behold my elaborately animated eyes.
I challenged myself to think of something I liked about Medal of Honor that isn't the sound, as was the challenge to the co-commentators, but I just couldn't do it. Everything good in the game is undermined by a bad aspect of the same thing, such as the guns looking good, but having no variety even in the accessories and there being way too few guns in general. The conclusion I ended up in is that there's absolutely nothing about Medal of Honor 2010 that would cause me to feel anything. As a viewing experience, even the bad come off as lack of good, therefore being the most forgettable.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Thanks for slogging through yet another mediocre FPS experience so I don't have to, Lazyfire. I mean it! You manage to make these things pretty entertaining to watch.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

The Casualty posted:

Thanks for slogging through yet another mediocre FPS experience so I don't have to, Lazyfire. I mean it! You manage to make these things pretty entertaining to watch.

It's my thing, though I don't consider the Red Faction games or FEAR 2 to be that mediocre. The BF4 singleplayer, on the other hand, is a horrible, no good, very bad experience.

If you haven't seen it yet I have an ongoing LP of Wolfenstein: The New Order which is a good game and people should buy and play it so a sequel will be made.

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!

Lazyfire posted:

It's my thing, though I don't consider the Red Faction games or FEAR 2 to be that mediocre. The BF4 singleplayer, on the other hand, is a horrible, no good, very bad experience.

If you haven't seen it yet I have an ongoing LP of Wolfenstein: The New Order which is a good game and people should buy and play it so a sequel will be made.

Whether they are bad games or not; modern fps games, especially of the modern military shooter variety, are something I can't bring myself to play. Still I occasionally like watching them, whether they are bland by the numbers slogs like MoH, or samey yet exciting explosion filled romps like CoD, seeing the ups and downs of the genre is interesting to me. I haven't played one of these types of games since CoD 4 and its nice to know that the formula hasn't changed since then.

Thanks for the fun lp.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Iron Chitlin posted:

Whether they are bad games or not; modern fps games, especially of the modern military shooter variety, are something I can't bring myself to play. Still I occasionally like watching them, whether they are bland by the numbers slogs like MoH, or samey yet exciting explosion filled romps like CoD, seeing the ups and downs of the genre is interesting to me. I haven't played one of these types of games since CoD 4 and its nice to know that the formula hasn't changed since then.

Thanks for the fun lp.

Formula did change since CoD4. For the worse. If CoD4 was a horse steak with mashed potatoes, then later games are an oversized, undercooked piece of the same horse with some potatoes that are barely, and without any of the sauce or spice that made the original good. Just take the novel things, like the horse meat (modern setting! PCs dying!) and the barest basics of gameplay (you shoot people! you shoot people from the sky where the enemy can't get you!), and don't go into the subtleties that made it good :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So I'm going to close this thread by the end of the weekend, there's not a ton to add to the LP at this point. I did make a quick video of random BF4 stuff for those of you who were interested in that a page or two back, but you really should be watching The Basics of CQC's SRAW videos if you want a good time.

If you want more bad military shooter action you should take a look at the recently started Homefront LP that I'll show up in eventually.

• Locked thread