Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
from the geniuses that brought you the ultrabook comes sprout, a loving overhead projector thats gonna have 0 software support and drivers that wont update past windows 8

the verge posted:

Projection keyboards aren't anything new, but it's a technology that's had plenty pratfalls over the years. HP's trying to change that with a new desktop computer it announced today called Sprout. It has a 23-inch,1080p screen that is topped with a canopy of cameras and a projector that turns a companion touch mat into an interactive display. Because of that technology, HP believes Sprout will bring about the end of keyboard-and-mouse interaction.

At an event this morning in Manhattan, HP showed off Sprout to dozens of members of the press with multiple hands-on demonstrations. The different stations focused on the innovative combination of the built-in projector and capacitive touch mat that is meant to obfuscate the traditional PC setup. At one, artists were using Sprout's pen to draw right along with the projection. At another, a multi-platform collaborative program was being demonstrated across multiple Sprout PCs and HP tablets.

Maybe the most impressive, though, was the station with a made-for-Sprout version of the button-masher game Castle Crashers. The Sprout PC's touch mat can register twenty different simultaneous inputs, so even playing a fast-paced game like this was no problem for the combination of capacitive touch, projection, and 3D sensor technology. Every furious tap registered cleanly, and there was no lag between the actions on the mat and the gameplay on the screen.

The rest of the PCs that were on display were left for general purpose interaction, and there was certainly something deeply surprising about how well the mat reads your input when using the computer for regular tasks. It also can act as a second screen, complete with its own Windows 8 start screen, though the display that's projected is significantly lower-resolution than the 1080p display it lies beneath.

The mat itself snaps in to the base of the monitor with magnets, so buyers who find themselves going through mouse and keyboard withdrawal can easily swap it out. Even with all the creative ways HP showed it off, the whole package still seems a bit like frivolous technology looking for a true purpose. But at least this time it really works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
is there anyone who saw the marketing page at http://sprout.hp.com/ and didnt immediately think "probably masturbate idk"

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Vote to re-purpose this thread to the YOSPOS Movember Thread.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
This new product feels like it's already obsolete.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

harnessing the awesome power of "that thing at malls that toddlers jump around on" for the future of human computer interaction

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
i bet u could make some cool games for cats w/ that thing

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

how much si it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

theadder posted:

how much si it

$1900 or 75% of the base price of a 5k imac

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FELONIOUS ASSAULT WITH A SPROUTING BONER

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

qirex posted:

$1900 or 75% of the base price of a 5k imac

i regret the imac now =//

pram
Jun 10, 2001
It's truly incredible all the retarded things windows 8 has encouraged

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i bet these will be a hit with the kids just like the hotwheels pc

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Can we do Muffebruary instead, please.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

pram posted:

It's truly incredible all the retarded things windows 8 has encouraged

case in point: windows 10

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

NoneMoreNegative posted:

nobody i know that can actually grow a beard does movember its all like teenagers and dudes with patchy as hell facial hair

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

theadder posted:

i regret the imac now =//

why is that.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
lol if you dont keep your beard through the hot summer months as a point of pride and dedication to beardcraft

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

NoneMoreNegative posted:

already have one.

it's part of my beard that comes with being an adult male

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

my wife and i were visiting her friends in eugene oregon and we went to this bar that gave you a discount if you had a mustache and they wouldn't give me and her friend the discount cause our mustaches were connected to beards

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

what im saying is the bearded straight male is the most oppressed minority

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i fuckin lose it when i see some hokey rear end hipster gently caress with a road bike and a paperboy cap with a waxed mustache

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i shave every day because otherwise i get a literal neckbeard

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I eat sprouted wheat bread and it's pretty good

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Phoenixan posted:

i shave every day because otherwise i get a literal neckbeard

i shave every week because my face pubes are weak

pram
Jun 10, 2001

awesome-express posted:

i shave every week because my face pubes are weak

Same, disappointingly

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i could pass off my growth patterns for an acceptable beard if this were 1850

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

pram posted:

Same, disappointingly

please turn in your avatar

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
id like this kind of thing a lot more if the makers could say "well we thought itd be cool, heres a first iteration, haha its not quite there yet but try it out", instead of routinely claiming that every individual thing is going to change computing forever, OP

same with oculus

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

lol if you dont keep your beard through the hot summer months as a point of pride and dedication to beardcraft

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
my moustache is wider than my head

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

that thing looks kinda neat. can't wait until it has 0 apps and they give me one for free in exchange for a breakout clone.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
movember more like November am i right?

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

movember more like November am i right?

no it's still october

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Ocrassus posted:

why is that.

i missed the chance 2 get the sprout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

NoneMoreNegative posted:

i started mine in late september can i keep it

• Locked thread