Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof
My grandson is nine years old. Christmas presents are easy when they're four--you just walk into Wal-Mart and start throwing toys in a buggy. Nine? Not so much.

I'm trying to avoid the standard video game go-to, and would love to get him something that doesn't require him to sit on his rear end all day in a darkened room. He lives at the beach so I'm thinking of getting him a surfboard. That's where you come in.

What's the deal with surfboards? Can I just get any old board that fits my budget, put him on it, and toss him in the ocean? Does his height and weight matter as far as what size board I get? I found a 7' board that I think I like. He's 4'-10". I don't know what he weighs, but he's pretty thin. Will he be able to handle a 7' board? Also, do I need to throw in any kind of paraphernalia, like wax (do you still have to wax them?) or those strappy things that you tie to your ankle?

If you know anything about Virginia Beach, can you even surf in that area?

So, I guess if the answer is "yes, just buy him whatever and throw him in the ocean" this will be the shortest Ask/Tell in SA history.

Please make me an expert on surfboards for kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

I never learned to surf but my dad was the type to surf on his lunch break when he was younger. I swear I'm going to make him teach me someday. He always rode a short board, but just like skateboards, the longer the board, the easier it is to ride. So you might want to reconsider the seven footer.

Could you buy your grandson surfing lessons instead? And maybe if he does well, buy him a board next time around?

Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof

Hummingbirds posted:

the longer the board, the easier it is to ride.

That's exactly the kind of thing I wanted to know. Thanks!

The plan was for me to get the board and his mom to get the lessons, but we weren't even sure if he needed lessons.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Get something between 9"-9"6, IMO.

Also don't buy a Chinese manufactured board.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Chinatown posted:

Get something between 9"-9"6, IMO.

Also don't buy a Chinese manufactured board.

Nice name + avatar + post combo.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
You should just get him a Wavestorm 8 foot foam board for $100 from Costco. Theyre solid for a learner as much as us more seasoned surfers tend to dislike them. Also i think you should go 9 foot at the very max for a kid that size. 9'6 would be way too big imo.

He can get a nicer fiberglass board when/if he ends up enjoying the sport and has the skill to not ding it up.

It also depends a lot on which beach he lives at. Just because he lives near a beach doesnt mean that its good for surfing. More location data needed.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Missed that he was 9 in the OP. Heh.

A Costco board is exactly what you want.

BTW those things are fun as hell for adults too.

Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof

Taima posted:

It also depends a lot on which beach he lives at. Just because he lives near a beach doesnt mean that its good for surfing. More location data needed.

It's in the OP--Virginia Beach. But I know that covers a fairly long shoreline and I'm not sure exactly where. I was also a little concerned about the beach itself, whether it was rocky, riptides, etc.

BTW, when I say "Virginia Beach" I mean the actual town of Virginia Beach, not just a beach in Virginia. Which was one of my concerns: can you even surf anywhere near Virginia Beach? I've been to enough beaches to know that sometimes the "waves" aren't much more than whitecaps.

poo poo, Christmas is winter. Wet suit.

Keep it comin' guys, this is great.

Marley Wants More fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 30, 2014

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Marley Wants More posted:

That's exactly the kind of thing I wanted to know. Thanks!

The plan was for me to get the board and his mom to get the lessons, but we weren't even sure if he needed lessons.

If one of his parents (or a friend, or whatever) can teach him, that's fine, but if not he'll need lessons. In regards to the OP, yeah, you should get him a leash. The type of wax you get depends on the temperature of the water the board will be used in, so you should try to find out what would be best for his area. In Florida the Atlantic ranges from 50-80 degrees in the winter and summer, respectively; I don't know if it's similar in VA.

about wax

E: according to Wikipedia there is a major surf competition held in Virginia Beach every year, so it seems it's pretty good there.

Hummingbirds fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Almervida
Apr 3, 2006
Just to piggyback on these comments as somebody who surfs everyday (west coast).

Costco board is the best option, I wouldn't really consider anything else. He'll also need a leash if it doesn't come bundled with one, something that is 7-8 feet long. No wax is needed on those costco boards.

The big thing that will determine if he likes it or takes it up is his amount of time he gets to practice. If he can walk to the beach or has a reliable ride and somebody encouraging him to do it, he'll love it. Hopefully his parents are able to help him with it and give him a lesson on the basics and safety, but overall it's one of the most amazing skills you can learn and can be a life altering gift.

• Locked thread