Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

AsInHowe posted:

Dave Brandon is a McDonald's commercial come to life. 

drat that's great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
From the comments on the article:

quote:

My daughter, pictured at right, needed to get the pictured helmet to correct a flatness from sleaping her on her back. The only solace we had as parents putting their baby in a helmet for the next 3-6 months was that the UM Medical Center brochure showed a kid in a Michigan helmet - maize and blue with wings and all. That made it a bit less horrible. Well, turns out they recently had to stop selling Michigan helmets for babies because the athletic department insisted that the UM Medical community pay a licensing fee to continue selling the helmet.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

We could allow a thing that basically guarantees a whole family are Michigan fans forever, ooorrrrrrr we could make an cool $2 per baby helmet

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
are we sure Dave Brandon and Dan Snyder aren't the same person

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Dan Snyder is too busy trying to locate another source for unsafe peanuts from defunct airlines to worry about running Michigan too

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
There's a weird mix of superfan pettiness and genuine horrible behavior in that article

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Definitely want to take my opinions on who is or isn't a bad person from a domestic violence excuser who stalked a 19 year old over a dumb song.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

MourningView posted:

Definitely want to take my opinions on who is or isn't a bad person from a domestic violence excuser who stalked a 19 year old over a dumb song.

uh what?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

MGoBrian wrote a big dumb deal about how people shouldn't get mad at Frank Clark for punching a lady because everyone has bad moments (citing the time he punched a college kid during a rec soccer game), and also recently facebook stalked and threatened to ruin the life of some 19 or 20 year old business student who suggested they come up with a new modern fight song to supplement Hail to the Victors (he tried to play the latter off as a joke after people called him out for being creepy, but not before posting the kids name and picture all over his website and twitter)

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 19, 2015

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
David Brandon might not be the swellest guy in the world but he's never assaulted (or rather attempted to and then got his rear end stomped) a college student so I'm pretty sure he has the high ground on this one.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

laffo he just can't stop the weird unforced gaffe train

quote:

I believe [Dave Brandon's] interactions with the student-athletes were genuine and positive. I don't judge people based on how they treat their most favored class of person. Nixon had a dog, after all.
College athletes: Basically Dogs Or Something

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
that one may have been a joke

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Detroit_Dogg posted:

David Brandon might not be the swellest guy in the world but he's never assaulted (or rather attempted to and then got his rear end stomped) a college student so I'm pretty sure he has the high ground on this one.

I don't know, forcing your own hospital to pay a licensing fee over something so insignificant is pretty deplorable. Neither guy here really is able to claim the high ground in my opinion.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Detroit_Dogg posted:

He just said he punched a guy in a rec soccer league. Not sure if it was a college student though, so you might have won there.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

swickles posted:

He just said he punched a guy in a rec soccer league. Not sure if it was a college student though, so you might have won there.
High school kid

For showboating because lol Michigan

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Eh, if you cut through the bullshit opinions that Brian has and see some of the stuff that Brandon did it makes you shake your head.

I don't know if I'd call him a piece of poo poo at the end of the piece, he seems like any other run of the mill Corporate Executive.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
And yet it all would have been fine if the football team was winning.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Dattserberg posted:

I don't know, forcing your own hospital to pay a licensing fee over something so insignificant is pretty deplorable. Neither guy here really is able to claim the high ground in my opinion.

Don't you have to actively defend your copyrights or something for them to stay your property?

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I don't think you can get a copyright on sucker punching high school kids

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I don't think you can get a copyright on sucker punching high school kids

At the very least he was actively defending his honor.

Dattserberg fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 20, 2015

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

MourningView posted:

MGoBrian wrote a big dumb deal about how people shouldn't get mad at Frank Clark for punching a lady because everyone has bad moments (citing the time he punched a college kid during a rec soccer game), and also recently facebook stalked and threatened to ruin the life of some 19 or 20 year old business student who suggested they come up with a new modern fight song to supplement Hail to the Victors (he tried to play the latter off as a joke after people called him out for being creepy, but not before posting the kids name and picture all over his website and twitter)

That's really dishonest of you. He wrote that people should pity Frank Clark for doing a bad thing and loving up his life. That's a completely reasonable thing to say.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Adun posted:

Don't you have to actively defend your copyrights or something for them to stay your property?

It's within the university. The hospital system and the athletic department are within the university. It's not an outside company using the logo, it's a different branch of the university using it, and Brandon taking that opportunity to piss them off for no real reason.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Adun posted:

Not really.

There is a doctrine of laches that states that if you don't sue a particular infringer for a long time, then you may not be able to sue that particular infringer in the future. This doctrine was recently severely undercut by the Supreme Court on the basis that each new copy of an infringing work is a new infringement, which allowed a lawsuit over the Raging Bull movie some 20 years down the line from the first alleged infringement.

On the trademark side, things are slightly different. There, though, the danger is that people turn your trademark (which identifies you as the source of the goods and services) into a generic term for your goods/services, meaning that your trademark no longer identifies the source of the goods and services and anyone can use it. Zipper and aspirin went down this road. You are not, however, required as a trademark owner to sue any particular infringer, with the risk only coming when everyone is infringing, basically.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Adun posted:

Even if you did I'm sure there would be a way to draft a quick contract or whatever letting the hospital use it for free within certain rules and the athletic department still maintains control. Defend doesn't mean charge people to use it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BigBoss posted:

That's really dishonest of you. He wrote that people should pity Frank Clark for doing a bad thing and loving up his life. That's a completely reasonable thing to say.

Committing domestic violence isn't some minor college kid mistake mistake, and he was angry that people's (completely justified) first instict was to express scorn at what is indisputably a henious act rather than to feel pity for the person who committed it.

e: and I mean if you want to feel bad that the guy messed his life up, that's totally fine. Write about that. But don't do it in a way that comes off as lecturing everyone whose first instinct was disgust, because that is a natural reaction to someone doing what Clark was alleged to have done.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 20, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Are we just going to ignore that he wrote a regretful inner monologue for the kid based off his booking photo

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

MourningView posted:

Committing domestic violence isn't some minor college kid mistake mistake, and he was angry that people's (completely justified) first instict was to express scorn at what is indisputably a henious act rather than to feel pity for the person who committed it.

e: and I mean if you want to feel bad that the guy messed his life up, that's totally fine. Write about that. But don't do it in a way that comes off as lecturing everyone whose first instinct was disgust, because that is a natural reaction to someone doing what Clark was alleged to have done.

That's not at all the point of what he wrote. What Brian was commenting on was the slactivist outrage that has accompanied so many issues without any context. This sort of moral McCarthyism serves no purpose except to destroy in order to satiate the mob's sense of "justice". No problems were solved, no improvements were made. Instead, a guy had his entire future dissolve because of one brief moment. That's very sad, especially given his background. Posturing for the sake of PR, clickbait, or a sense of outrage and superiority doesn't make the situation any better. Most people hooting for his damnation have already forgotten about him. Frank Clark has to live with this the rest of his life.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Why do people always do this "one brief moment" poo poo.

Like the terribleness of something is somehow correlated with the time it took to do it.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Why do people always do this "one brief moment" poo poo.

Like the terribleness of something is somehow correlated with the time it took to do it.

Because he didn't go on a rampage for three years? It was literally one brief moment that upended years of work and sabotaged an entire lifetime. That doesn't make a bad thing ok, it just means that the bad thing happened in a short period of time.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I, too, enjoy rehashing an argument that no one has cared about for months.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
He's definitely having a tough time living with it http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2015/02/20/michigan-football-frank-clark/23736189/

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Hitting women is bad, as is felonious theft.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
So is this thread still open just because Michigan fans need their own special place, because if so I gotta work on the OP for Kiffin's Krimson Korner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Raku posted:

So is this thread still open just because Michigan fans need their own special place, because if so I gotta work on the OP for Kiffin's Krimson Korner

I've tried to close it several times, but MourningView keeps reopening it for his own reasons. It has long since served its purpose as far as I'm concerned.

Ask him about it.

• Locked thread