Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

The best Douglas Adams book is Last Chance to See.

Its really really good and also really depressing because some of the animals he went and saw are now extinct. So the title was, like, right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Waltzing Along posted:

He also said he was bitter about something while writing the book which is why the tone is so different. I forget the exact story.

Pirate Jet posted:

He said he regretted killing everyone at the end of "Mostly Harmless" but he wanted to make exactly sure that the series wouldn't continue ever.

Which is another reason why "...And Another Thing" is so Goddamn tragic.
I think the story was he was depressed and didn't want anything to do with more hitchhiker books so he made sure to end it all on a bleak everybody dies ending. Then he got better and realized he still kind of liked the writing the characters and wanted to write book 6 and then he died instead.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

zedprime posted:

I think the story was he was depressed and didn't want anything to do with more hitchhiker books so he made sure to end it all on a bleak everybody dies ending. Then he got better and realized he still kind of liked the writing the characters and wanted to write book 6 and then he died instead.

Life imitates art!!!!!! lool

I had no idea they let some fuckface kid's book author poo poo out a steaming faux-sequel ha ha ha that's loving terrible

Some of you may be unpleasantly surprised to learn that they made a Dirk Gently TV show pilot

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirk_Gently_%28TV_series%29

Go find it and watch it right now I am afraid I must insist

Everything is lovely forever

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tujague posted:

Life imitates art!!!!!! lool

I had no idea they let some fuckface kid's book author poo poo out a steaming faux-sequel ha ha ha that's loving terrible

Some of you may be unpleasantly surprised to learn that they made a Dirk Gently TV show pilot

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirk_Gently_%28TV_series%29

Go find it and watch it right now I am afraid I must insist

Everything is lovely forever

You are lovely.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien

SHISHKABOB posted:

You are lovely.

:smithcloud:

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
hitchhiker's guide books are probably the most overrated books ever

seriously look me in the eye and tell me young zaphod goes for broke is anything but a huge pile of unfunny poo poo

dirk gently's holistic detective agency is a legitimately great book though

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
oh yea, young zaphod was terrible and even as a 12 year old i skipped through it in my hitchhikers collection book. i must have reread hitchhikers guide at least 5 times, but never young zaphod. it stuck out.

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

icantfindaname posted:

the only burn here is the sick ownage you're inflicting on yourself by admitting you like douglas adams books

heck not even discworld books are that bad

discworld = awesome

your opinions = valid but disagreeable to me (thought i was gonna say poo poo right?)

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
HH & Douglas Adams' life are a great example of the "brand" becoming more popular and more powerful than the person. The Dirk stuff was way better but people DEMANDED MORE HITCHHIKER'S and so he kept churning out ever-diminishing returns with fewer laughs, but since they featured the same characters dumbfucks ate it up.

The writing equivalent of a lovely classic rock band still playing the hits and nothing else forty years on, also the lead singer has been dead for years

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
If you can't tell me what the point of the Designer Person babbling about a "shining city on a hill" at the end of Young Zaphod was a reference to please put your explosively retarded opinions back under your fat rolls tyyyyy

edit without googling it loooool

edit [sound of intense googling]

vvv Dude's a google badass

Tujague fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 31, 2014

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Tujague posted:

If you can't tell me what the point of the Designer Person babbling about a "shining city on a hill" at the end of Young Zaphod was a reference to please put your explosively retarded opinions back under your fat rolls tyyyyy

that was the worst part of the entire thing. 'lol ronald reagan is crazy!!!!! :master:' gently caress off

^^^ no i got it the first time. 80s kid

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The Dirk TV show was bad.

The first book is extraordinary. It is full of jokes that aren't jokes until you have read the book once and realize they are punchlines to things that happen later.

Also, the Electric Monk is an Apple computer. Too bad he didn't die.

• Locked thread