Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?
Blue Ribbon
HelloFresh
Plated

Has anyone tried one of these?

Basically they send you the ingredients to make a meal and the recipe a few times a week, for something of a premium of course but they don't look outrageously priced to me(not sure how large a typical meal is in ozs with some of these so maybe they are that overpriced). For me, a guy that lives in the city and buses everywhere this service looks pretty attractive. The part of town I'm in is pretty well connected so it's easy to catch a bus at any time of day but they don't come on time due to the horrendous traffic here which means losing time as you need to be at the stop at least ten minutes before the scheduled time and buses running 10-15 minutes late aren't uncommon. So it'd be a major pain to go to the store a few times a week for fresh herbs and stuff. There's a Whole Foods near where I work but it's priced like a Whole Foods so I don't think this would cost me much more if at all.

But is the food good? Are the recipes varied and challenging? The menus look alright on the website and there are some things I wouldn't otherwise try so I'm leaning towards rolling the dice on one but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with anything like this? I'm also thinking about getting Amazon Fresh or something similar to supplement weekly trips to the grocery store for canned/dried goods, does anyone use that or something like it? Basically, I can't go to the store more than once a week(and I'd like to go less often as I live alone), but I like to cook and would also like to eat fresher food. What's a man to do? I've checked out a few reviews online but some of them seem to be paid advertisements, bribed bloggers .etc so I thought I'd try my luck here as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
These are horrendously, outrageously overpriced. Even Fresh Direct won't charge such extortionate prices, and they're ridiculous. It's anywhere between $10 PER PERSON per MEAL.

Really. You mean to tell me that you can't spend less than $10 on that? Also, you don't need to be doing all your shopping at Whole Foods. There's a lot of other places out there that sell things. If the bus commute etc is wearing on your nerves, find a grocery delivery service, and have them sort you out. They'll still work out cheaper.

The issue with this is that after you're done making your $10 PER PLATE meal, you have literally no leftovers. The portions are such that you'll have a tiny amount of food per meal, and that's all you'll get. If I'm spending $10, you bet your buttons that I'm going to have enough for at least a couple more meals.

Also, none of these are organic. There's no reason for them to be that pricey. If they were organic, you can bet your buttons that they'd have it plastered all over the place.

dino. fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Nov 1, 2014

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You don't have to got to the store a few times a week just to cook with fresh herbs. Most herbs stay fresh for a while if you put their stems in a glass of water, cover them with a plastic bag, and keep them in the fridge. If you can afford to pay for this jaw-droppingly overpriced service you can afford to buy extra herbs and let a few go bad.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?

TychoCelchuuu posted:

You don't have to got to the store a few times a week just to cook with fresh herbs. Most herbs stay fresh for a while if you put their stems in a glass of water, cover them with a plastic bag, and keep them in the fridge. If you can afford to pay for this jaw-droppingly overpriced service you can afford to buy extra herbs and let a few go bad.

Sounds good to me, I'll start doing this. I hadn't been and they wilt very quickly(1-3 days) otherwise but if this will extend that to 6-8 days it pretty much solves my problem.

I definitely don't do most of my shopping at Whole Foods or close to it. Being as close to work as it is I end up grabbing odds and ends there maybe once a week, probably 25% of my shopping at the absolute most - usually it's just to fill in gaps for a specific recipe that I wasn't planning on making when I made my last trey to QFC(Kroger) so it's rarely even 25%. Okay, so a grocery service instead would definitely be something I will look into. Last question would be if anyone had a recommendation in that area or especially a bad experience they would like to steer people away from? I'm going to check out Amazon Fresh(I live in Seattle) and a few smaller local services but if anyone could call out the stinkers(like the helpful individuals did as far as shifting my focus in service category), I'd appreciate it. I won't close the thread but that's pretty much it as far as my questions.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
If you have Amazon Fresh that's basically better than these things in literally every way. You get to choose exactly what you buy, the prices are better, and it's still delivered right to your door. I'm too poor to use Amazon Fresh but my parents use it for a ton of their food and it seems like a pretty great service if you're willing to pay the premium. I don't live in the area though so I can't really recommend any smaller places.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
This is literally he worst solution for me. Shopping for ingredients is the least barrier to getting a good meal on the table: how late I get home, how tired I am when I do, and sudden cravings for particular food I don't have on hand or can't make well are the real barriers, none of which having portioned ingredients delivered would help with.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Fisticuffs posted:

Sounds good to me, I'll start doing this. I hadn't been and they wilt very quickly(1-3 days) otherwise but if this will extend that to 6-8 days it pretty much solves my problem.

I definitely don't do most of my shopping at Whole Foods or close to it. Being as close to work as it is I end up grabbing odds and ends there maybe once a week, probably 25% of my shopping at the absolute most - usually it's just to fill in gaps for a specific recipe that I wasn't planning on making when I made my last trey to QFC(Kroger) so it's rarely even 25%. Okay, so a grocery service instead would definitely be something I will look into. Last question would be if anyone had a recommendation in that area or especially a bad experience they would like to steer people away from? I'm going to check out Amazon Fresh(I live in Seattle) and a few smaller local services but if anyone could call out the stinkers(like the helpful individuals did as far as shifting my focus in service category), I'd appreciate it. I won't close the thread but that's pretty much it as far as my questions.

its okay to shop at whole foods in seattle (and i do it a bunch because it is the grocery store on my way home too! maybe we pass each other like ships in the night).

seattle has a couple of local/regional groceries though: pcc/central co-op for wholefoods type groceries, uwajimaya for asian (not indian, iirc), rising produce has good but not great produce that is really cheap, and dk market has bulk spices and indian foodstuffs. for bulk foods, pfi is great but some items (i think just olives, meats, and cheese) have a 1 pound minimum. this is ignoring all the good grocery stores on the east side because i never have a reason to go over there.

going more specialty, you have borrachini's italian bakery/deli in beacon hill, honore bakery in cap hill, taylor shellfish/rain shadow meats on melrose, market house meats like 10 minutes away, vino verite for wine, and probably a bunch more places i haven't been that you should find and tell me about.

Today you can head up to fremont for a huge farmers market event or broadway right above pine for the much smaller farmers market there. pike place market is open today too but its open every day and you can get piroshkies there EVERY DAY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
if you need grocery delivery though, i would choose amazon fresh. the prices on average are close to what you'd get in stores and, specific to seattle, you have this big radish system which will reduce the costs if you spend enough per month. i've used it a couple times and thought the food quality was great, but you generally have to plan ahead and deal with attended deliveries if you live in most any apartment complex.

the only other delivery service in seattle i know of is instacart, and you'll be getting immediacy for higher prices. good if you cant leave the house and you need something now, but imo untenable for regular groceries.

but seriously just go to all those awesome grocery stores i mentioned. or go to other ones i didnt mention like someone is going to look at my list and take serious umbrage that i left off like thriftway or something.

EDIT: also just noticed you mentioned buses and trying to keep track of their schedule. you should download onebusaway to your smartphone of choice and never feel unsure about when your bus is arriving again.

FamDav fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 2, 2014

• Locked thread