Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DuFfY
Oct 1, 2005

brace yourself
The wall-aligned clip zones are something I had always wanted to do way back since I had added sloped surfaces, but I hadn't implemented it previously because I could never figure out how to do it without breaking everything. Since the last update, I finally figured out a way to do it but it has required some massive reworking of the engine.

I was hesitant to make such a large engine change this late into the game, but I was too excited not to. I've never been happy with the disconnect between drawing diagonal clip-lines for sloped walls while requiring a certain type of block selection for sloped floors. As of the next update, all sloped surfaces will all be handled via the dotted clip lines. All of the same rules will apply to the vertical space, so unlike before, multiple types of block can co-exist in the same vertical 'unit' of space.

Unfortunately this change has delayed the next update, but if I didn't do it now before starting a Steam Greenlight campaign, I don't think I would ever have a chance to get this balls-deep in the engine code again.

I will post a video as soon as the work is complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
That's a delay reason I gladly accept. Can't wait for that video.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Does indeed feel like the type of thing you want to hammer out sooner rather than later.

DuFfY
Oct 1, 2005

brace yourself
This patch has taken me waaaay longer than expected! I'm getting close now though.

I've uploaded a video giving a quick demo of the wall-clipping capabilities. The video was a bit rushed, I cobbled it together over the last half-hour. It is late at night I've got a flight to catch in the morning, but I wanted to post something before I go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVAWj985_TQ

I'll be back home after Christmas to finish off this patch.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
:aaaaa:

Great work, eagerly awaiting the next build!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Proper CSG tools! Only thing seems to not being able to make slopes at an angle to the grid but that would probably be annoying to make the tool for anyway.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

DuFfY posted:

This patch has taken me waaaay longer than expected! I'm getting close now though.

I've uploaded a video giving a quick demo of the wall-clipping capabilities. The video was a bit rushed, I cobbled it together over the last half-hour. It is late at night I've got a flight to catch in the morning, but I wanted to post something before I go.

This looks great, this will allow for some super awesome builds.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?

DuFfY posted:

I can't wait for this patch so many builds just popped in my head I'm not going to be able to decide what to do.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

God drat the building system looks great in this game.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?

Rotten Cookies posted:

God drat the building system looks great in this game.

It is and it opens up a whole new way to build things that is ten times faster than other systems. I just haven't had time to play this recently due to rl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The only reason I'm not playing this is because I don't want to get burned out on it before more content comes out. It really does make Minecraft look like a pile of crap.

• Locked thread