Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Okay, here's a REAL bare bones idea I came up with this evening. I'm fairly tired, so please excuse any spelling or grammatical fuckups.

Forum wars have always been an exciting yet very VERY illegal way of attacking other forums and transforming their once beautiful forum into a rancid cesspit of failure (for a short period of time), eventually leading into mass banning and a whole bunch of drama nobody really cares to deal with.

SO MY BRAND-SPANKING NEW IDEA IS AS FOLLOWS!!!!

1) We create a "SA Forums Innerforum", a large world broken up and spaced apart from the various forums on SA. GBS will naturally be the crown city, FYAD might be a large pink island to the west, and YOSPOS could be a giant golden island floating throughout the sky... but various subforums will be perfectly able to band together and take down the the highly defensed GBS Crown City. It will completely be up to users, their organization, their power, and their ability to plan missions through.

Each major forum will be given its own large land mass, and the individuals who post the most in that zone will become members. some sort of government should be chosen, and debated should determine the most trustworthy users in the forum. The members of each zone will be able to vote on what type of government they want, and which members should apply for those positions.

Each major forum land's mass will start up with an apartment building, able to hold all members (and additional ones). Also, there will be a cemetery nearby that lists the members who posts there and never came back. If they do return, their corpse will arise from their grave.

Each major forum zone will provide special elements and tools indigenous to only their area. Figuring out how to use them properly could result in ICBM, poisoning water supplies. Tanks, Earthquake machines, etc etc. These elements and tools can be discovered by digging, combining, working together, and figuring out how everything comes together.

As you can probably tell, the game element of this is going to be based highly off Minecraft, especially when it comes to the PvP aspect of it. Initially your homerooms will be safe... but once people start putting together tools that can penetrate your walls, you'll either have to move, hide, or group up with somebody stronger than you.

People who are 100% griefer (ie, not advancing the cause of their own team, just PKing them nonstop) will be put into TIMEPROBATION. Its AWFUL.

Needless to say, we'd like to use something along the lines of Minecraft (but NOT Minecraft) to get this project rolling. First of all, I'd like to hear about questions or comments you might have about this idea. and then we'll go from there!

Thanks!!! Also, we would NOT like to run the Minecraft engine, so if there are any coders out there with experience and suggestions, it would be tremendously useful for us. If this looks possible, we will be interested in hiring 1 or 2 fulltime coders to come work for us! Either reply in this thread and / or PM me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Okay, here's a REAL bare bones idea I came up with this evening. I'm fairly tired, so please excuse any spelling or grammatical fuckups.

Forum wars have always been an exciting yet very VERY illegal way of attacking other forums and transforming their once beautiful forum into a rancid cesspit of failure (for a short period of time), eventually leading into mass banning and a whole bunch of drama nobody really cares to deal with.

SO MY BRAND-SPANKING NEW IDEA IS AS FOLLOWS!!!!

1) We create a "SA Forums Innerforum", a large world broken up and spaced apart from the various forums on SA. GBS will naturally be the crown city, FYAD might be a large pink island to the west, and YOSPOS could be a giant golden island floating throughout the sky... but various subforums will be perfectly able to band together and take down the the highly defensed GBS Crown City. It will completely be up to users, their organization, their power, and their ability to plan missions through.

Each major forum will be given its own large land mass, and the individuals who post the most in that zone will become members. some sort of government should be chosen, and debated should determine the most trustworthy users in the forum. The members of each zone will be able to vote on what type of government they want, and which members should apply for those positions.

Each major forum land's mass will start up with an apartment building, able to hold all members (and additional ones). Also, there will be a cemetery nearby that lists the members who posts there and never came back. If they do return, their corpse will arise from their grave.

Each major forum zone will provide special elements and tools indigenous to only their area. Figuring out how to use them properly could result in ICBM, poisoning water supplies. Tanks, Earthquake machines, etc etc. These elements and tools can be discovered by digging, combining, working together, and figuring out how everything comes together.

As you can probably tell, the game element of this is going to be based highly off Minecraft, especially when it comes to the PvP aspect of it. Initially your homerooms will be safe... but once people start putting together tools that can penetrate your walls, you'll either have to move, hide, or group up with somebody stronger than you.

People who are 100% griefer (ie, not advancing the cause of their own team, just PKing them nonstop) will be put into TIMEPROBATION. Its AWFUL.

Needless to say, we'd like to use something along the lines of Minecraft (but NOT Minecraft) to get this project rolling. First of all, I'd like to hear about questions or comments you might have about this idea. and then we'll go from there!

Thanks!!! Also, we would NOT like to run the Minecraft engine, so if there are any coders out there with experience and suggestions, it would be tremendously useful for us. If this looks possible, we will be interested in hiring 1 or 2 fulltime coders to come work for us! Either reply in this thread and / or PM me!

Didn't read.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Didn't read.

Agreed.

• Locked thread