Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
General malware thoughts...(kinda long sorry)

I have a question for people, I have seen many worms come out with some interesting ideas for getting inside peoples machines. But every time a post mortem begins I see two comments in every one. In almost every single case programming mistakes handicaps the worm. Either it makes to much noise and is easily detectible or it shoots itself in the foot like this one. Does anyone here remember the Samhain Project? For those who do not the idea was a worm that propagates itself and hides in different locations that updates other instances of the worm when it contacts them. If some part of the worm gets cracked you patch it and it will update all other versions. If you try to analyze a file from the worm and it deletes itself. My point here is that we have not seen a really dangerous worm yet. But how long before we will see one that will bring parts of the Internet to its knees? Side note and disclaimer, I personally don’t believe that it is possible for even the Samhain worm to completely shut down the Internet. The major ISP’s would adopt the close everything then open read only port scheme first. I have been amazed that to date there has been no major outbreak of a worm that has not been really dangerous first. Now there is two ways to look at this. The poorly crafted worms are being made this way deliberately to force companies to fix what could be a major security issue before some armature gets lucky, or that writing a good worm is a lot harder then it should be. Now I don’t code (yet) so I can’t say how hard it should be but if what I read from the Samhain project is correct if any code slinger was crazy enough (or mad enough at the world) to put one out there the Internet would have a serious hurt on for a while. But this discussion touches on part of this issue. Are people putting out deliberately flawed attack code or has the world just been incredibly lucky so far? Why has there never been a small, cross platform, self-updating, morphing, invisible, independent, worm in the wild? There have certainly been enough people out there who would love the credit for it. Or who would like to see the havoc it could cause.

Thoughts ??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
remember when there was that "world's worst botnet" thread with cozpop.exe on a zillion people's machines? lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

remember when there was that "world's worst botnet" thread with cozpop.exe on a zillion people's machines? lol

yeah lol

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
didnt read, op

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

lol ya

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I don't remember... link?

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BeOSPOS posted:

I don't remember... link?

dsyp! lol

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
whats the most yospos holiday?

theadder