Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cymoril
Jul 1, 2005

Kittens Warm the World
Dinosaur Gum
Homeless people don't pay rent. Makes you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alas Boobylon
Sep 30, 2014

i bought at house in atlanta as opposed to renting i am not dumb in this regard :downs:

naem
May 29, 2011

I'd like to buy a duplex and rent half out- its like a free house

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
When you think about it, poor black people are actually in an advantageous situation in the United States when it comes to housing. No one wants to live near them, so they get rock-bottom prices. We need some affirmative action surrounding this. Perhaps, subsidized rent specifically for poor whites and model minorities.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Cymoril posted:

Homeless people don't pay rent. Makes you think.

Which is why we need more anti-homeless spikes.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

When you think about it, poor black people are actually in an advantageous situation in the United States when it comes to housing. No one wants to live near them, so they get rock-bottom prices. We need some affirmative action surrounding this. Perhaps, subsidized rent specifically for poor whites and model minorities.

Gentrifying neighborhoods is awesome, I live on the good side of the highway, it used to be called Freedman's Town, now it is just rich white people and called Uptown. One of my good gay friends just bought a condo on the bad side of the highway where all the blacks live now and they are building new luxury apartments and condos because they ran out of space on the rich side of the highway, it was called Roseland Estates, now I think they are going for The East Village.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

lol if you don't buy your house outright in cash. just lol.

Alas Boobylon
Sep 30, 2014

LifeSizePotato posted:

lol if you don't buy your house outright in cash. just lol.

there's a lot of reasons not to do this even if you can afford to do it ten times over, but w/e i guess

Spider Helidon
Nov 4, 2010

by XyloJW
just live off sobs stories from your awful life and peopel will take you in. a proper alcoholic will have plenty of poor decisions which lead to them being alone and homeless, balanced out with being a bunch of fun when you're loving shitface. I have lived my entire awful adult life this way.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
remember that one goon from A/T who was asking about how to be a welfare queen and not work just mooch off of everyone else. iirc he wanted to live in some crapshack in the woods stealing electricity and just play video games all day and collect welfare and gently caress your self righteous rear end if you didnt like it so anyway help a brother out? cool guy im sure hes doing well

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

Alas Boobylon posted:

there's a lot of reasons not to do this even if you can afford to do it ten times over, but w/e i guess

Is there? I could see it if you're barely being able to afford it, for the sake of liquidity, but why otherwise?

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

Three Olives posted:

Gentrifying neighborhoods is awesome, I live on the good side of the highway, it used to be called Freedman's Town, now it is just rich white people and called Uptown. One of my good gay friends just bought a condo on the bad side of the highway where all the blacks live now and they are building new luxury apartments and condos because they ran out of space on the rich side of the highway, it was called Roseland Estates, now I think they are going for The East Village.

But the poor black people can just move somewhere else and lower property values there for themselves. What about the passive, non-threatening East Asians? What are they to do? Start wielding chains and demand fear to attain affordable rent?

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

But the poor black people can just move somewhere else and lower property values there for themselves. What about the passive, non-threatening East Asians? What are they to do? Start wielding chains and demand fear to attain affordable rent?

they work hard build wealth and become captains of industry unlike the other lazy minorities.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Is there? I could see it if you're barely being able to afford it, for the sake of liquidity, but why otherwise?

I think this changed recently but for a period a few months ago if you factored in inflation, the mortgage interest deduction and were in a growing city rates were likely effectively negative on a 20 year mortgage as long as you put down enough money to avoid having two mortgages or mortgage insurance.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

TOILETLORD posted:

they work hard build wealth and become captains of industry unlike the other lazy minorities.

just because there's a lot of wealthy white people and model minorities, doesn't mean there isn't a ton of broke-rear end ones. the pyramid-inevitability of capitalism, "the 99%", and all that jazz. just saying, poor black people get all the poor people breaks because people are scared of them.

Alas Boobylon
Sep 30, 2014

there are some small reasons in terms of tax write-offs, my uncle for instance is a rich corporate lawyer that's been paying off his mortgage for a decade because it reduces the taxes he pays on his investments. also its probably easier to declare BK on a mortgage if the market goes belly up then be stuck whole hog in your half value house, but again if youre rich and long term it doesn't really matter.

the big thing imho would be the ROI of real estate versus stocks/bonds, stocks/bonds a lot better historically. it varies from situation to situation ofc but if you have excellent credit and live in a place where banks are throwing money at people to create mortgages (atlanta) it makes more sense to pay 700 + 200 dollar a month on your 2.5% 30 year fixed rate mortage and take the whole hog house payment and sink it into stocks and bonds, using the interest payments on the mortgage to write down your taxes

of course if you a rich gently caress that can buy your house whole hog you probably know this already and are just swinging your money dick around for fun so yolo i guess :350:

naem
May 29, 2011

Asians are NOT passive lol, especially wealthy ones.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol the only reason why rent vs buy works in favor for buy in borderline areas is due to all the government tax writeoffs for things like HELOCs or the mortgage deduction.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

naem posted:

Asians are NOT passive lol, especially wealthy ones.

yeah, i guess you're right. east asians often seem to be either buddha passive or give absolutely no fucks. non-threatening is still accurate, though. i'd rather run into an east asian than even a white guy in a dark alley at night. all the meth tweakers who will stab your dick off for a bag of flamin' hot cheetos are white.

naem
May 29, 2011

yeah, i guess you're right. east asians often seem to be either buddha passive or give absolutely no fucks. non-threatening is still accurate, though. i'd rather run into an east asian than even a white guy in a dark alley at night. all the meth tweakers who will stab your dick off for a bag of flamin' hot cheetos are white.

Wait until its a mostly Asian neighborhood with weathy owners and watch them literally chase other people out with no concern for political correctness whatsoever, it's like apartheid

Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

I agree OP, being homeless is so much better. Stick it to the man!

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

EllisD posted:

nah it's about 30% which is still kind of high (25% would be nice) but I can't really be picky because rentals that allow pets can be tough to find and are generally more expensive :\

i expect higher deposits for pets at this point but poo poo there's places that charge pet rent
We (I, really) strongly encourage cats in the building I manage, but still, I unilaterally doubled the pet deposit amount we were asking, then told my employer about it afterwards. I think that any cat owner worth their salt won't even blink at a deposit of $150/cat, and experience has borne this out without exception.

Damage from the cats is very rare (outside of bent mini-blinds, which costs almost nothing), but when it does happen, the repair costs exceed the deposit amount by an order of magnitude.

As far as pet rent, I started hearing about it within the past two years or so, and think it's a real rear end in a top hat move, but landlords get away with it because of the housing market here. It seems to be common enough now that the fact that we don't charge pet rent is another big, fat selling point.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I would never allow dogs in a rental I owned. They are horrific.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Torka posted:

if you're some kind of a cosmopolitan socialite who likes constantly going out to restaurants and cafes and clubs and poo poo and you need easy access to everything in the city, then yeah this makes sense

if you're just some random poor who stays at home most of the time like most of the people I see saying poo poo like this are though, it's really dumb to drop 60% of your income on living in the city just to avoid feeling uncool

imo 60% is not so bad if it means not living close to white trash/soulless suburbanites whose idea of "a night out" is going to olive garden

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Olive Garden does suck but Applebee's gets a bad rap on SA. It's fine.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

euphronius posted:

Olive Garden does suck but Applebee's gets a bad rap on SA. It's fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2uN28EJRlA

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

euphronius posted:

I would never allow dogs in a rental I owned. They are horrific.

My condo has a rule allowing pets if you own but if you rent no pets. Actually renters are just the worst in general, that is one huge minus about renters. Before I lived here I lived in a "luxury" apartment building and the other tenants would treat it like poo poo,like leave trash everywhere, they would be assholes to neighbors because you could always just move at the end of your lease. Pretty much everyone at my building now gets along, we have a few building parties every year, most of us have been here for years (I'm going on like 9 I think), it's nice.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

renter scum ruins local gay man's condo paradise

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
time to pay that rent

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

lololol

not doing so well on vending machines I see

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mein Eyes! posted:

lololol

not doing so well on vending machines I see

At the condo I'm renting the HOA president got caught embezzling thousands of dollars over the years.

Basically did the old trick of buying things like new furniture for places like the club house but skimmed money off all the purchases.

She also went on lots of trips to reno with the HOA credit cards.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Time to go to the bank and get the rest of my rent money.

Alas Boobylon
Sep 30, 2014
renting isnt so bad as long as renters are sequestered from homeowners dont poo poo where you eat etc etc

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Alas Boobylon posted:

renting isnt so bad as long as renters are sequestered from homeowners dont poo poo where you eat etc etc

basically treat them like they got Ebola

Alas Boobylon
Sep 30, 2014
tbh most of them do

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Alas Boobylon posted:

tbh most of them do

it's no surprise that a apartment complex got ebola first.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
I love paying the rent when the rent's due
I hope you got the diamond necklace that I sent you.

ChosenbytheZetans
Jan 21, 2013
I've rented a room in a townhouse for six years, because I am cheap and what if I get fired or finally man up and quit my job and move? I am stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lolling at the poors itt who will never experience the pride of home ownership

• Locked thread